Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-21-2014, 11:35 PM   #1
Camaro1LTBA

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Angry Need Advice/Rock Chips

First I want to state that I have been a loyal GM customer pre and post "bailout" with new purchases including a 2002 Trans Am, 2 Corvettes, and a 2010 Camaro (also leased a 2011 Volt). I have also purchased a few used GM vehicles as well. Definitely not blind loyalty though as I also leased a RSX-S as GM did not have a competitive vehicle at the time for what I was interested in. Overall, I have been very satisfied with GM and they were very responsive with an issue I had with my Volt. At that time the Volt forum that I had posted was not very supportive (probably thought I was trolling), but GM did everything they could to come to a resolution and I do thank them for that. I am bringing this up as I have never had an issue with any of my other GM vehicles.

More on topic, I am aware that it is well known here that rock chips are problematic on the 5th gen Camaro and I am sure GM is just as aware. Since I had not had any problems with my 2010 Camaro LS with any chipping of the paint I figured it may have been an issue with sticky tires/summer tires/larger wheels. I had the Heritage Wheels with all-season tires on my 2010.

As my 2011 Volt lease came to an end I decided to stay with GM and return to the Camaro. I chose a 24 month lease, looking ahead to the next gen Camaro and the next gen Volt, along with an eye on Cadillac and the ATS coupe. Both my previous Camaro and Volt were black and being that I used to do auto detailing, I am very particular with my vehicles. This led to my decision to choose Silver Ice Metallic for my 2014 Camaro. I was very much looking forward to a lower maintenance color. I had no concern for rock chips considering this was a non-issue on my 2010 Camaro LS and after 3 Jersey winters my Volt lease was returned with not one chip in the paint and in the same, if not better, condition from the day of delivery.

Regarding the details of the paint chipping, I leased the Camaro with 5 miles on it and drove home to 13 total miles without issue. I then drove the vehicle as I normally would to an est. of 40 total miles. At that time I noticed a decent sized rock chip in the paint on the front bumper, which was very noticeable as the chip was black on the silver Camaro. I chalked this up to bad luck and touched it up the best I could.

The only variable that differed from all of my other GM vehicles was greater protection from multiple layers of Zaino (not that I believe a sealant will prevent rock chips/chipping, but was something I intended on doing again as soon as possible anyway). Now after spending another 2 days detailing the vehicle, I have noticed about 5-10 more rock chips; mostly isolated to the front bumper. At this point I am not only concerned about what is going to happen at lease end with this rate of chipping as far as "wear and tear" fees are concerned, but I am also very irritated and concerned that I will be dealing with continuous rock chips appearing for the next 2 years. As noted they are black and very noticeable on the lighter color of the Silver Ice Metallic.

With just over 500 total miles and the rate I am getting rock chips I cannot imagine the amount at 24,000 miles. Surely the bank will want their fees if they consider this excess "wear and tear". I understand that paint is not usually covered under warranty and I see it useless now to try fixing unless the chipping slows down/stops. I am thinking that if I am going to open a case with GM Customer Service the sooner the better, with as much detail as I can recall. In reality though all they are going to be able to do is assure me that they would pay the fees for the chipping if it became an issue at lease end (which would be helpful), but I would still have to deal with this problem for the rest of my lease.

It is unfortunate really and since the first chip occurred I have been driving so far behind the vehicles in front of me that it has been almost laughable. Almost could not believe there were more chips with the special attention I was giving it. I just wanted to enjoy this lease while I look forward to the next GM models to purchase. My only gripes with my 2014 Camaro were dealer related (dreaded front plate installed, scratches around the ignition - really? they can't put the key in the hole!). I do not believe that I should be held responsible for such an issue and I have nothing but respect for the customer service that I have received from GM on my 2011 Volt. They really went out of their way and I am thankful, but unsure of what I can really do with an issue of this nature. For those that have read this far; any thoughts or advice?
Camaro1LTBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
I feel your pain.

I got these and it helped a lot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2013-CA...e1b81f&vxp=mtr
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:08 AM   #3
tmcclint

Drives: 2014 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
I clear bra'd my 1LE the day I bought it. Rock chips happen. You guys on the east coast usually deal with the salt during the winter where we deal with the gravel out here (no salt). My 1996 Acura was so pock marked with rock chips it looked like the surface of the moon when I sold it. My only theory is that since this has been such an unusual winter that your street department is probably using more gravel this winter then normal because of the shortage or quality of the salt they are spreading. If you're worried, clear bra it. I know it's a lease though so I understand if you don't want to. I seriously doubt that you'll get hit for excess wear and tear when you turn it in if that's all that's wrong. They can't honestly think they'll get back a perfect car. Personally, I'd just touch it up and move on. No company makes bullet proof paint, and I seriously doubt that complaining to GM about paint chipping after the winter we've had will go very far. I tend to drive mine on the regular streets rather than the freeway just because rock chip are less frequent at lower speeds, you can always make your commute on lower speed streets... Just sayin.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:20 AM   #4
TDevilsG

Drives: 2013 2LT Victory Red LFX
I highly recommend the splash guards and even a clear bra. I got the splash guards when I picked up the car and they have protected me from almost all rock chips.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
TDevilsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:33 AM   #5
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Drive one of the Vettes that you own instead or the 02 Camaro. I have 57000 on my Camaro, live in NJ, and don't think I have nearly as many rock chips. Your post is very long, I faded in and out, are you saying they didn't have enough additive in the paint when your car was painted? It could be. My paint seems to have plenty of additive.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #6
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
I clear bra'd mine before delivery. Tom Henry was kind enough to flat bed the car down to the shop that was going to bra and tint the car for me.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I read the entire post. Don't care that it was wordy so don't sweat the folks with a short attention span. I blame MTV for that change to our society!

I went from a 2010 to. 2013 and can admit these cars chip easier than any I've ever owned. I have heard differing theories based on paint materials, thicknesses, body design, wheels, etc. I have to say, however, that in my experience there have been no chips as drastic as what you are experiencing. I have noticed the gills getting really minor pock marks in large quantities but only a small chip or two on the nose in 8000 and 5000 miles that were obviously from a larger stone or higher speed impact. If your entire front bumper is getting impact chips that easy I think something went wrong with the prep or cure process. I'd push for a repaint and insist the current silver needs to be completely removed, as it is not adhering properly. The good news is that the problem would be bumper-only because they are a seperate paint supplier. Perhaps this one got too thin or missed a step on adhesion promoter, scuffing, or a time window between sealer and color due to lunch, Friday, power or line problem, or whatever. It happens. Hope they take care of you. Easiest and cheapest fix is for them to spray a new cover for you off the car, which cures the plate holes, then have you swing in and swap it in about an hour. Nobody wants to strip the existing rubber part and that is necessary if it stays.

Good luck!
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Todays paint on all cars being water based is the cause from the paint being harder thus chipping easier. And I put clear bra on mine asap after purchase, and feel the dealership must acknowledge the problem on all cars now......
Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Thats why I never lease and always buy, Good Luck when you turn it back in .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Based on the title alone (there's no chance of me giving up my Saturday to read your narrative) I can only assume that you're complaining about the paint quality contributing to rock chips.

The design of this car is far more to blame.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-23-2014, 01:40 AM   #11
Camaro1LTBA

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Thanks

Thanks for those that gave advice/feedback. Also a special thanks to those that read the entire post; I was just trying to include as much detail as possible since I have a long relationship with GM and was thinking about possibly discussing this with them. Was going to write sorry for the long post, but after re-reading it, it only took a few minutes.

Also, Just to restate, my 2010 Camaro had zero chips along with my 2011 Volt after 3 NJ winters. I did read possibly the salt/sand could have been the issue with the winter we have had. I just got home from a 12 hour shift so I am rather exhausted, but thankful for the replies and tips that some have used for themselves regarding this issue. Was just looking for feedback/advice/opinions.

It seems that I will wait to see if this issue slows with the roads clearer for now. Also, no I was not complaining about the way the car is painted or the design, just asking questions and looking for advice. It seems that most have accepted this problem as "normal" for a newer car. That may be the case for certain 5th generation Camaros, but it is not "normal" for newer cars, even with more friendly eco-paint.

Thanks guys! Will reply and update as soon as I can. Long work weekend! Missing this nice weather sucks!!!
Camaro1LTBA is offline   Reply With Quote