Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
navyflyer72

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd, BLK/CYB GRY
Sirius hook-up connection

Does anyone know if this Sirius FM adapter can be plugged into the head unit in our Camaro's? I am really trying hard to get my Sirius set up in the car and I though that this might work... another possibility might be an RCA plug-to-USB plug and plug my Stiletto 2 into the center console...

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...2&oldParentID=

Thanks for any info any of you might have about the back of the head unit.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
navyflyer72

Or would this one plug into the back of the head unit?

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...9&oldParentID=
Old 07-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
The aux cable should work but since i dont have any of those i cant tell you for you sure. i'm guessing it would be like plugging in an ipod into the aux port.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
These appear to be like any other aux cable connection and not for the head unit connection.

Have you considered the Siletto Vehicle Kit? Unless the Siletto will get OK reception on its own you may need to consider how you provide an antenna as well as power - this kit may be a good solution though NOTE it doesn't come with the direct connection Aux cable.http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...0&oldParentID=

Here's a link to this product's manual in pdf form.http://www.sirius.com/pdf/manuals/St...tion-guide.pdf See Page 48 for the direct connection instructions.

While I don't have a Sitellto I installed my Starmate 4 using an antenna mounted on the back inside deck - gets great reception so you don't have to mount it outside. I use an Aux cable to connect the Aux port and get power from the power port in the cubby. As the connect is via the Aux you will not get station information on the head unit display. It doesn't appear that the Stiletto 2 has a USB or Bluetooth capability which may have worked with the headunit in a more integrated way.
#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 & booked for #5
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
navyflyer72

Thanks for all the feedback, anyone know if I would need this "kit" that includes an adapter for GM vehicles, says there is some non-standard size ends so you need these adapetrs to convert from a smaller antenna connector to the standard motorola connector? Just wondering if I would actually need this or just the Sirius FMDA25? Thanks, by the way how did you mount your antenna in the rear deck and where is it located (center/rear I'm assuming)?

Thanks again. Gotta have my Howard and Bubba!

Does anyone have a picture of the back of the head unit? That may help...
Old 07-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
az5thgen

Drives: 2010 1LT
Why don't you just go with XM and get "The best of Sirius" package which includes both of Howards channels? We did that and they gave us a big discount on the package. We have had 2 cars on Sirius for years.

That way there isn't any adapters or antennas involved.
az5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
5th Gen SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM and Black/IOM
+1
5th Gen SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:11 AM   #8
2010CamaroOutlaw

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
you should be able to just plug it into the ipod connector since it will read it as an aux input. It will sound a lot cleaner then going thru the stereo because you wont get any interference from the FM.
2010CamaroOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #9
navyflyer72

OK, One more audio newby question: What if I got this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_607SIRG...iled_info#tabs

Could I remove the nasty, huge XM sharkfin and replace it with the small Sirius antenna running the antenna wire through the bolt holes for the XM antenna? Anyone know if this SIR-GM1 would work with our head units in the Camaro (MCOR)?

If not I am going to call XM and see about the best of Sirius, my issue is that I have already paid for a lifetime Sirius subscription (no payments again ever!) and if I call XM I am sure they will want me to buy and XM subscription PLUS the best of sirius package, you see my issue? If I can get good antenna reception from the rear speaker shelf and plug into my aux jack I should be pretty happy.

Thanks again for all the info.

Regards, George

Last edited by navyflyer72; 07-28-2009 at 07:06 AM.
navyflyer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyflyer72 View Post

Could I remove the nasty, huge XM sharkfin and replace it with the small Sirius antenna running the antenna wire through the bolt holes for the XM antenna? Anyone know if this SIR-GM1 would work with our head units in the Camaro (MCOR)?

If not I am going to call XM and see about the best of Sirius, my issue is that I have already paid for a lifetime Sirius subscription (no payments again ever!) and if I call XM I am sure they will want me to buy and XM subscription PLUS the best of sirius package, you see my issue? If I can get good antenna reception from the rear speaker shelf and plug into my aux jack I should be pretty happy.

Regards, George
i am fairly sure that the shark fin is shaped the way it is because it has XM and onstar in it....i kinda like how it looks
Old 08-05-2009, 06:05 AM   #11
Mikechop

Drives: 2LT, black
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyflyer72 View Post

Regards, George

They will require you to buy a seperate XM subscription. I am in the same boat and went round and round with them. I told them I will not activate the radio. They really need to change their policies or they will be out of business sooner than they think.
Mikechop is offline   Reply With Quote