Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
mynetdude

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Silver
steel license plate frame issue

I just got some "Camaro RS" black steel frames, but unfortunately I can't use them with my new Oregon plates as they cover up more than 2/3s of the stickers (front & back have stickers) I looked at how much would need to be ground down there's two problems with it: 1. even if I grounded a little bit off it would not be enough to show more of the sticker and 2. it would ultimately ruin the frame.

The other option is to just turn it upside down (that's what we do when it doesn't fit right) which is silly... then "Camaro RS" is going to be upside down too, does anybody have any ideas what I can do? I can't move the sticker up higher and even if I could it wouldn't be legal; cutting the plate at the top wouldn't work either and Oregon law does not permit any modification of the plates either (this is about a $700 fine PER plate)

Seems like most Oregonians don't even have license plate bracket/frames because most of them cover up the sticker... what a silly joke.

Here's the frame I got:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151237375367...S:1120&vxp=mtr

Last edited by mynetdude; 03-20-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: forgot URL
mynetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
mynetdude

So nobody has any ideas on how I can make this work? I'll just ask the guys over at the Camaro club tonight when I see them

Old 03-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Get a new frame? Most states have made it pretty impractical to have a frame due to it covering certain parts of the plate.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
mynetdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post
Get a new frame? Most states have made it pretty impractical to have a frame due to it covering certain parts of the plate.
I probably won't use the frame sadly :( for a show maybe I would but that's as far as I would go.

Seems like frames used to be popular and more available but I guess not.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I'd move. I use that frame no problem.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
mynetdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I'd move. I use that frame no problem.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
that's easier said than done; there's no way I am moving to some place I know nothing about and have no family etc.

I'd love to move, but you know us westerners are pretty stupid when it comes to realistic laws. Easterners have it easy :P (yeah right, NY doesn't allow guns (and this isn't up for debate, I'm just pointing some flaws out)).

Plus what little friends I have; I like it here, and the one thing I keep getting told from other Camaro owners here where I live is they would rather pay for the ticket than put up the front license plate which is fine if you're not driving it every day but its even worse when you can't even put a frame on it because it covers almost the entire stickers at the bottom and I think states should redesign those stupid stickers anyway.

oh well, I'll just make show plates out of the frames and use ugly state plates and piss off the cops :P
Old 03-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
Ehmsea

Drives: 2013 2SS RS Hurst NPP
ran into the same issue when I purchase the Camaro SS plate frame. We have 2 stickers for the rear plate in Ohio, I just put the stickers at the top instead of the bottom of the plate. should be ok as long as everything is visible to an officer...

CAI Intake w/washer relocation and race scoop
Ported Throttle Body (Polished)
Kooks LT stepped headers 1-3/4 to 1-7/8
High Flow Cats
Livernois Motorsports Stage 2c Cam Package
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXyCyBh9BU

Hill Start Assist Delete
Ehmsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
mynetdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehmsea View Post
ran into the same issue when I purchase the Camaro SS plate frame. We have 2 stickers for the rear plate in Ohio, I just put the stickers at the top instead of the bottom of the plate. should be ok as long as everything is visible to an officer...
That's what I was going to do, but four things: there isn't any room to put them at the top, its illegal to have them anywhere else but at the bottom here in Oregon and even if I wanted to move them I'd have to pay for new stickers (front AND back) not to mention the stickers shipped with them placed already
Old 03-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
Ehmsea

Drives: 2013 2SS RS Hurst NPP
well then...that sucks! I forgot that I bought my plate frame BEFORE i took delivery of my car, so I was able to put the stickers on after it was on the car. sounds like you are out of luck....sorry

CAI Intake w/washer relocation and race scoop
Ported Throttle Body (Polished)
Kooks LT stepped headers 1-3/4 to 1-7/8
High Flow Cats
Livernois Motorsports Stage 2c Cam Package
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXyCyBh9BU

Hill Start Assist Delete
Ehmsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynetdude View Post
that's easier said than done; there's no way I am moving to some place I know nothing about and have no family etc.

I'd love to move, but you know us westerners are pretty stupid when it comes to realistic laws. Easterners have it easy :P (yeah right, NY doesn't allow guns (and this isn't up for debate, I'm just pointing some flaws out)).

Plus what little friends I have; I like it here, and the one thing I keep getting told from other Camaro owners here where I live is they would rather pay for the ticket than put up the front license plate which is fine if you're not driving it every day but its even worse when you can't even put a frame on it because it covers almost the entire stickers at the bottom and I think states should redesign those stupid stickers anyway.

oh well, I'll just make show plates out of the frames and use ugly state plates and piss off the cops :P
I think he was being sarcastic.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Get a blank one, and mount the way you want.

If you do, and PM me, I can make you CAMARO vinyl stickers to go on it in about any color you may want.

I don't have the RS part, but may be willing to create the R part for you.

Mine is below.
Attached Images

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:11 AM   #12
mynetdude

so it turns out a lot of peeps in Oregon DO have their stickers mostly covered; so long as the officer can see the serial number AND the color my whole sticker doesn't need to be wholly visible (although its illegal in theory) they are happy if they can still see the important parts of the sticker. I'm going with it.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:13 AM   #13
mynetdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
Get a blank one, and mount the way you want.

If you do, and PM me, I can make you CAMARO vinyl stickers to go on it in about any color you may want.

I don't have the RS part, but may be willing to create the R part for you.

Mine is below.
your frame is the same as mine (same thickness and everything except color)

Yeah if I got a blank one I could turn it upside down but your stickers are on top; ours are on the bottom we cannot legally have them up top although in some states it is legal up top OR at the bottom or JUST at top only just not here LOL.

long ago they used to make frames that would accomodate stickers at the bottom. As per my previous post, it seems most of the camaro owners cover most of their stickers anyway