Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
shaggy2002

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS w RS 1LE
Cleaning 1LE Wheels Question

Anyone have a good method of cleaning the 1LE spokes?

I use the Adams Green Wheel Cleaner and a Brush and they look clean until the wheels dry. Once they are dry, you don't want to get the waterhose back out because you just dried your car off.

Has anyone used a towel or something post washing the wheels? Thoughts?
shaggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
I'll spray the mags first (when dry) with a product like Sonax or P21S, then hose them down. Then I'll hose down the car and wash it using a high quality dedicated wash mitt. When I'm done with the body, I'll again use yet an other dedicated, high quality, micro-fibre wash mitt, just for the mags, and my exhaust tips. The latter stage is really what gets them nice n clean.

Final step to dry the entire car, including the mags, again using dedicated drying towels for the mags.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:43 AM   #3
z3R0fo01

Drives: 2014 1SS RS 1LE tvs2300
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used that kit last weekend and it worked pretty well. The brake dust inside the wheel is a pain. You really have to let them dry really well and go back into sunlight to find the places that you miss. It was the same with my EVO, which had pretty much the same brembos.

I used to use only Sonax on the EVO with 19 in Volk TE37s and bought the Griot kit to try something new on the Camaro. Either way I think it will take two washes unless you take the wheels off if you want them perfectly clean. I will say that the black handled brush is a great size but again, you would have to take rims off or clean them multiple times to get that brand new look.

I will try Sonax next time, but it can be difficult because I usually end up having to work in the sun, meaning the Sonax cannot sit as long as it should without drying.
z3R0fo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:48 AM   #4
Camaro Dude

I use a very lean, tight fitting wash mitt, and pass my hand and arm all the way through between the spokes, and wash n wipe away. Only behind the calliper area is hard, and I usually let it go until the next wash 2-3 days later.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
I recently picked up one of these at my local auto shop and have found it to phenomenal for the wheels: http://www.peakauto.com/products/car...leaning-glove/

It's a full "glove" style microfiber wash mitt. It allows me full range of motion with my fingers. I can just wrap my hand easily around each spoke and scrub it (including the back) and it allows me to use a single finger to get into that groove that goes around the entire rim. I can also get a finger in between my lug nuts and the wheel in that area for a good clean. My wheels are now washed in less time and I get them more clean. I'm happy, especially for the $7 or $8 the mitt cost me.

And although this is slightly off-topic: I started using P21S when I got my 1LE and after I finished a bottle I switched over to Sonax ... never going back. Sonax does a significantly better job, it is worth the money to me.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Having had black cars most of my life, you would think I might have thought that much like the car, black wheels would be a bear to keep clean looking as well. I swear it takes me just about as long to do the wheels as the rest of the car. I use a separate rag and bucket for the wheels, getting down on my hands and knees and first cleaning the groove behind the spokes, then the spokes and area between. I then do the caliper and then the barrel of the wheel. I agree with the other poster and the area behind the caliper goes until the next time. Once these are done, I then wash the car. The only wheel products I have are a thin towel and the same soap that I use to was the car itself.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #7
shippingguy

Drives: 2024 Black ZL1, M6
I have yet to have to wash my car. I do not drive it in any bad weather. I use a duster and spray wax twice a week. For the wheels I just use a damp microfiber and wipe all the dust off them. Then I use Turtle Wax Black Detailer Spray. Just spray on and wipe off.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406124106.883882.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  194.8 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
numbr3t

Drives: Waiting...
Keep in mind that adams green wheel cleaner is a very powerful product and may be stripping the wheel of any wax or protection. I would only use green wheel cleaner for more of a heavier clean or a dirty dirty wheel. If it's only light cleaning try just car shampoo. It sounds like you need some more protection on the wheels IMO.
numbr3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
i use a sheep wool wash mitt and adams car shampoo.. i would highly recommend having a dedicated wheel wash mitt
Old 07-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
I just get the guy at the car wash to do it for me ...

lol, actually I wash and dry my car first, then turn my attention to the wheels. I have a brush that reaches all the way to the back of the barrel so I don't have to get my hands in there.
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
I just get the guy at the car wash to do it for me ...

Yes, that picture is very disturbing. On all levels.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #12
z3R0fo01

Drives: 2014 1SS RS 1LE tvs2300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
I recently picked up one of these at my local auto shop and have found it to phenomenal for the wheels: http://www.peakauto.com/products/car...leaning-glove/

It's a full "glove" style microfiber wash mitt. It allows me full range of motion with my fingers. I can just wrap my hand easily around each spoke and scrub it (including the back) and it allows me to use a single finger to get into that groove that goes around the entire rim. I can also get a finger in between my lug nuts and the wheel in that area for a good clean. My wheels are now washed in less time and I get them more clean. I'm happy, especially for the $7 or $8 the mitt cost me.

And although this is slightly off-topic: I started using P21S when I got my 1LE and after I finished a bottle I switched over to Sonax ... never going back. Sonax does a significantly better job, it is worth the money to me.
I think I might have to get one of those.
z3R0fo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #13
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I have replica 1le wheels and I just basically use a tore up cotton t shirt with mag soap. I always save wheels and tires for last . By the quick question guys. My buddy has a 2013 1le and he is concerned about his wheels. They look like they are not painted on the inside of the wheels. Are these how they come or is a defect
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #14
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post

That is a very nice find

Quote:
Originally Posted by shippingguy View Post
I have yet to have to wash my car. I do not drive it in any bad weather. I use a duster and spray wax twice a week. For the wheels I just use a damp microfiber and wipe all the dust off them. Then I use Turtle Wax Black Detailer Spray. Just spray on and wipe off.
Attachment 648166

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might be able to get away with this at first, but eventually, you might get that first scratch from say a sand stone, then you will move on to a hose down first

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosspower View Post
I have replica 1le wheels and I just basically use a tore up cotton t shirt with mag soap. I always save wheels and tires for last . By the quick question guys. My buddy has a 2013 1le and he is concerned about his wheels. They look like they are not painted on the inside of the wheels. Are these how they come or is a defect
I noticed the same thing on my 1LE mags, the insides are not FULLY covered, almost looks like overspray in some areas. It's not that bad or an eyesore in any way, but when you closely inspect it, it's there. Maybe others can chime in on this.