Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Tire Pressure

What tire pressure are you guys running on the street? Are you running a staggered set up, F/R? I had a G8 before this with 245/40/19 Pilot AS3's and the factory called for a staggered set up with the rears lower. I was running F38psi/R36psi cold to get even tire wear, OS edge still was chewed up from hard cornering in a heavy car. I am currently running Pilot AS3's at F39psi/R37psi hot. I have not been getting any wear on the OS edge with hard cornering, I am always getting the four wheel drift around certain corners and the edges/tires still look new. Just want to get the best handling/traction without giving up too much wear/ride.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Tag on the inside of the door says cold tire pressure 32psi front and rear. I'm also running those pressures on my all-season street setup.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
I run (and the dealer does this too) 36 PSI cold on the fronts /34-36 rears on the street for better fuel mileage and wear (especially on the fronts). I have 285 PSS tires all around.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
We shoot for about 32 cold on all four corners. Climbs up to about 34 during operation. Seems to work well and getting about 15K out of the GY tires.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
Matty Ice

Okay, thanks guys. 32psi just seems so low with such a heavy car and a low sidewall. I guess I will will just start at 34psi cold and go down incrementally from there.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #6
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
What tire pressure are you guys running on the street? Are you running a staggered set up, F/R? I had a G8 before this with 245/40/19 Pilot AS3's and the factory called for a staggered set up with the rears lower. I was running F38psi/R36psi cold to get even tire wear, OS edge still was chewed up from hard cornering in a heavy car. I am currently running Pilot AS3's at F39psi/R37psi hot. I have not been getting any wear on the OS edge with hard cornering, I am always getting the four wheel drift around certain corners and the edges/tires still look new. Just want to get the best handling/traction without giving up too much wear/ride.
You are running good tire pressure for normal daily driving and running 2 pounds heavier in front is the right setup for several reasons. Anyone stating to run them softer does not understand radial tire structure. Bias ply...yes, but these are radial tires. I gave a very detailed scientific explanation of this on another tire thread lasy winter. Can't find that now.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
You are running good tire pressure for normal daily driving and running 2 pounds heavier in front is the right setup for several reasons. Anyone stating to run them softer does not understand radial tire structure. Bias ply...yes, but these are radial tires. I gave a very detailed scientific explanation of this on another tire thread lasy winter. Can't find that now.
post # 55

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=389234&page=3

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
32 cold as recommended on door. i've seen a 29 low parked and high of 37 when driven.

when i got my first oil change they were heated and the tech bozos started letting air out. i told the service manager and got the "eye roll". should've kept quiet lol.

Last edited by snarky; 07-12-2015 at 11:22 AM. Reason: cuz i felt like it
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:47 AM   #9
Matty Ice

Thanks everyone for the replies. I did read your post Kendall. It is nice to know I was somewhat correct on the tire pressure set up. Up here in WI the temps have been fluctuating like crazy, high or 87degs one day then a low of 52degs the next night. I think I will try the 36/34psi cold set up and see how that feels. That should give me a low hot temp of 38/36psi. These tires heat up very consistently at about 2psi under normal driving and 3psi when I drive aggressive.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #10
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
Tag on the inside of the door says cold tire pressure 32psi front and rear. I'm also running those pressures on my all-season street setup.
Far ... FAR too low for street driving. 32 might provide you ultimate grip and a softer ride quality, but there are a number of tradeoffs running that low.

Air pressure is your rim protection. Not enough air pressure and the edge of a pothole will pinch your tire between the asphalt and the rim, cutting the tire and denting the rim. More air pressure also decreases rolling resistance, which leads to far improved tire wear, more consistent wear across the tread, and better fuel mileage. It lets the tire flex less which reduces tramlining (big one for me as the roads near me are absolutely atrocious).

Yes, as I mentioned in the second sentence, you are giving up some grip, but we have so much with these 285-width G2s, that giving away some still puts us in the top tier of vehicles with regards to mechanical grip.

I'm running between 38 and 40 PSI cold right now in the warmer months. In the cooler months, this pressure isn't enough to generate enough heat into the tires, so I lower it down to 36 PSI or so, and run different tires in truly cold winter stuff (once temps get below 40 degrees).

There are a little over 13K miles on my G2s right now, and they are only about half worn.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote