Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
LS3 herky jerkies

Who else has the LS3 "herky jerkies"? Symptoms:

1) surging and bucking when cold during steady speeds. Seems to clear up after warmed up but it is still there just very subtle.
2) After installing an OTR CAI it got worse to the point that it occurrs even after warmed up.
3) The herky jerkies are most apparent at steady speeds when trying to maintain speed like 35 mph in 3rd gear or 40-45 mph in 4th gear (1800-2200 rpm). The engine seems to miss especially when backing off slightly on the accelerator.
4) The 5/20 fuse pull did not help.
5) Slight surging when accelerating until over 3000 rpm.

I had my car at the dealers but they could not duplicate the problem and said there were no ECM flash upgrades yet. It seems to be a cold air problem because using a true CAI the engine is getting cooler air and causes the bucking more often. With the stock intake it is not getting as much cool air after the engine compartment is warm thus runs better after its warmed up.

I don't know if I should return the OTR CAI and go back to the stock one, I don't want to. I want someone at GM to really study this problem. Will someone who knows what this might be please help. There are 3 members that I know of with the same issue and the same CAI and also many who don't seem to have this problem. The CAI manufacturer says it's not the intake but something with my car that's causing it. I can't seem to get my Chevy dealer to help, they just think I'm imagining it, they really pissed me off!

I would like to know how to escelate this to GM like the 5/20 fuse problem was. Thanks for any help anyone can come up with!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Do you drive with the cruise control on?
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Do you drive with the cruise control on?
No
Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
I would put the stock air box back in temporarily make the dealer figure it out.

There is so many things it could be.

- Bad Gas
- Fuel Mixture
- Bad sensors
- Computer issues
- electrical
Old 09-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
My new Camaro

Drives: 2500 hd
mine is all stock and does the same thing
My new Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I spoke to someone who did just get the early model ECM updates so I know they are out... I'm going to dealer tomorrow to hopefully get it on mine...

I only need one guess to name the CAI... you can't expect your dealer to give it much attention without putting the original back on. I know it's a pain in the rear and it's also not 100% the CAIs fault, because a lot of stock cars have the herky jerkys just not as bad as you have now...

Good Luck...
Old 09-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
My new Camaro

Drives: 2500 hd
i can drive my car and stop for a little bit. when i go to start it up it acts like its flooded.i posted about this before but iseemed to be the only one
My new Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by My new Camaro View Post
i can drive my car and stop for a little bit. when i go to start it up it acts like its flooded.i posted about this before but iseemed to be the only one
You are not alone by a long shot... these cars run very rich and load up... either get your dealer to fix or get it tuned by a reputable speed shop...
Old 09-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I spoke to someone who did just get the early model ECM updates so I know they are out... I'm going to dealer tomorrow to hopefully get it on mine...

I only need one guess to name the CAI... you can't expect your dealer to give it much attention without putting the original back on. I know it's a pain in the rear and it's also not 100% the CAIs fault, because a lot of stock cars have the herky jerkys just not as bad as you have now...

Good Luck...
I did put the stock intake back on when I took it in to the dealer. Let us know how the new flash works. I'll call my dealer to inquire about the update. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2009, 05:47 AM   #10
martman
MARTMAN

Drives: 2010 Orange, 2SS,RS, M6
Herky Jerkies

My car does the same thing and also has a bad idle bounce when pulling up to stop. The idle bounces over 1000 and then settles down. I thought it would break in and the computer needed to learn a little but it is the same with over 700 miles on it. To the dealer soon I guess.
martman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
badkarma

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS Camaro
I think the misses when cruising at a constant speed could be rpm related or maybe even throttle position. TPS maybe?

I've noticed that when cruising in 3rd, i get misses, but if I upshift to 4th and cruise at the same speed in a the higher gear it stops.

(Mine is stock and have it as well)
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
That is a good point about the TPS.

here is my 2 cents.

Since you had to pull the MAF sensor off the stock intake tube and re-install on the OTR piece, check to make sure the MAF is installed correctly, there is an arrow on the sensor and it is supposed to point downstream. Also, make sure the MAF sensor is on tight or perhaps one of the pins might have gotten slightly pulled off and it is only getting partial signal therefore sensing incoming air inaccurately.
Goodluck.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
That is a good point about the TPS.

here is my 2 cents.

Since you had to pull the MAF sensor off the stock intake tube and re-install on the OTR piece, check to make sure the MAF is installed correctly, there is an arrow on the sensor and it is supposed to point downstream. Also, make sure the MAF sensor is on tight or perhaps one of the pins might have gotten slightly pulled off and it is only getting partial signal therefore sensing incoming air inaccurately.
Goodluck.
Thanks but I checked all that, everything is in properly and seated well.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
how about it just doesnt like to run cold,i have the same issue,just give it 5 min in the morning to warm up and its fine i have seen many cars come into my shop that exhibit the same thing not a real problem as far as im concerned
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote