Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Thumbs up Doug Thorley Shorties/Custom X-pipe/Flowmaster Super 44s with VIDEO

Hi all,
Just wanted to share my exhaust mod experience in order to maybe assist others with their decisions one way or the other. I went with a custom route vs. buying the whole pre-packaged, named brand Cat-back system. I had already taken delivery of the Doug Thorley short tube headers (love them by the way) but could not wait any longer on their cat-back system to be released so I went to my local performance/muffler shop and discussed with them what I wanted. I went with taking the stock cat-back H-pipe system out (after noticing how small the pipe in the H really was when they put it on the lift) and they put in 2.5 inch, X-pipe cat-back exhaust (no resonators) with the Super-44 Flowmasters and 4 inch stainless tips. They did that as well as installed my new DT headers. I am very, very pleased. The install looks factory and it is the deepest sounding exhaust I have ever heard. You don't just hear it...you feel it. The rev sounds refined and aggressive at the same time. It is not rediculous loud but just right for my taste. From inside the cabin, with the tunes off, it is ear candy, even when driving slow. With the tunes on at normal levels there are no issues. I can still enjoy my tunes when I want without worrying about in-cabin drone. I've had this new setup for a couple of days now so my radio is not even on and won't be for a while so I can listen to the sweet music of my LS3. The only thing I have noticed is that the popping on deceleration is, of course, more pronounced because of the Super-44s being louder than stock. I like it so far but may not later on. I saw a thread where you can get the popping tuned out but I'd rather not mess with the tune yet because of voiding the power-train warranty. This exhaust is perfect for me. No rasp whatsoever which was important to me...just clean, crisp, deep, thunderous exhaust like a V8 should sound.

Oh...and here's the startup/rev video so I hope you like it:

Old 09-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
towmoe

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro
Very sweet setup. I really like the sound. Are you going to get a dyno to find the increases? I'm thinking about Doug Thorley Shorties myself but haven't decided on an exhaust yet. My go muffler delete option.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
Edrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by towmoe View Post
Very sweet setup. I really like the sound. Are you going to get a dyno to find the increases? I'm thinking about Doug Thorley Shorties myself but haven't decided on an exhaust yet. My go muffler delete option.
Nope. Not interested in Dynos. Will certainly get one whenever I decide on getting a tune but that won't be anytime soon. Throttle response from this setup is very impressive. You will not be disappointed. Good Luck.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
rex113

Drives: 2010 2ss silver/cyb
Edrock: why did you have to post that damned sound clip. I was happy and content with my DT's and stock exhaust, now I want my car to sound like yours.
rex113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Edrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex113 View Post
Edrock: why did you have to post that damned sound clip. I was happy and content with my DT's and stock exhaust, now I want my car to sound like yours.
LMAO.. Sorry 'bout that. Slap some Super 44s on and you'll be set!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
JuicedSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Sounds great. I am trying to decide between long tubes and short tubes. Watching your video makes me think that the doug thorley's are the way to go. I just wish someone had some real (i.e. unbiased) dyno numbers for them.
JuicedSS is offline   Reply With Quote