Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
So, you think you can afford a GT500KR, huh?

http://www.spokentorque.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1517

Quote:
Shelby GT500KR: You own one, but can you afford to repair it?
8/27/2009

So you’ve taken out the second mortgage, told the condescending unsupportive wife to hit the road, and you’ve finally obtained your dream car. But now that you have it, and you’re most likely up to your ears in debt, ask yourself the following question:

If the worst should happen, and I damage my KR, can I afford to repair it?

Recently, I was contacted by the owner of a GT500KR who suffered the ill-fortune of being involved in a minor encounter with an unfortunate animal. Well, the incident wasn’t so minor for the poor four-legged contender, having been fatally wounded in the accident. Having said that, the GT500KR fared pretty well………or so we thought. Aside from a crumpled right front fender, a door that was slightly misaligned from the fender, minor hood damage, and a dislocated mirror, the car seemed to fare pretty well. It truly looked to be about $5,000 in damage in my opinion. Lord, was I wrong.

What should have been a quick and easy fix has turned into a nightmare for this Shelby owner. Not only has this person had to confront this damage every time the garage is entered, this nightmare has gone on for nearly two months. It seems that the insurance company and the manufacturer are unable to come to an agreement on how to price the hardware involved, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The damaged parts are expected to be returned. Yes folks, you read that right. You bought the car. You own the car. Every piece on that car is (should be) considered your property. Guess again. If you want this car repaired, not only will you have to jump through hoops, and back flip your way through a pile of paperwork, you’re also going to need to send those damaged parts back – at your expense, of course.

Think about this for a moment. What if some crazy delinquent steals your hood in the dark of night, thinking that might make a nice add-on for his buddy’s ’06 GT? You don’t have a hood to return, so does that mean you’re out of luck? Perhaps you should drive the car without one? Or worse yet, what happens if the part in question is so heavily damaged that there’s nothing left? Are you expected to stick around the scene of the accident, picking up the pieces of your shattered mirror with a dustpan and an evidence bag?

Yes friends, these are just a few of the little-known perks of owning an $80,000.00+ vehicle. Envious onlookers giving you the thumbs-up of approval. Prime parking at your local cruise-ins. The compulsion to park half a mile away from other cars in any parking lot, to ensure that some jerk face doesn’t throw a door into your spotless finish. And perhaps the biggest of them all, owning a car that you can’t seem to get fixed.
To further illustrate the issues at hand, I am going to share the prices that the owner was quoted for new replacement parts. It’s probably best if you take a few antidepressants and sit down while you read this.

Edited 09/09/09 to reflect updated hood and headlight prices:

Grille bezels = $690.00/pair

Headlight = $960.00/each

Wheel = $1753.55/each

Emblem kit = $201.25

Front spoiler = $3392.50

Hood = $21,000.00

Carbon fiber mirror cover = $400.00

Hood pins = $632.50

Hood vents = $661.25

Bumper stripes = $530.00

Hood stripes = $575.00

And this is how what LOOKS like $5,000 in damage turns into $31,000 in damage. Over $18,000.00 for a hood? Hell, you can buy an entire car for less than that! A car that you can fix, one in which the manufacturer and the insurance company don’t give a collective rip what you do with your old parts.

Will the GT500KR get repaired? Will it remain in a wrecked state? Will it be driven without the hood? I can’t answer that. But I can promise you that one way or the other, the exciting conclusion will be posted right here.
$21,000 for a hood?!?! Wow and I thought $12,000 for a Viper hood was rediculous.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
They have since lowered the price to under $10,000 which is still not cheap but better.

As for returning parts Shelby even had the parts returned from KITT after the show was canceled.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/11/s...b-outrage-eru/
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Rikarus
I can't tpye!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Victory Red
wow that is messed up, you are renting your car that you bought.
Rikarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
How in the hell can a hood be worth as much as a V6 mustang?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
Toyota/Lexus.

In other words, it wouldn't be if people wouldn't pay for it.

I'd most likely be slapping someone with my supersnake and buying aftermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
How in the hell can a hood be worth as much as a V6 mustang?
Proud Owner of #168
AngryAmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
that ol' texas chicken farmer sticks it to another man once again....nothing new.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:07 AM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAmish View Post
Toyota/Lexus.

In other words, it wouldn't be if people wouldn't pay for it.

I'd most likely be slapping someone with my supersnake and buying aftermarket.
Yeah, but nobody should expect badge buyers to be that dumb, unless its for a half-million dollar exotic in which case a $20,000 hood (or $10,000) seems perfectly reasonable.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Cool, I think I will buy two or three and part them out............With $21K for the hood alone, I should make 5 times my cash without any effort.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:17 AM   #9
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
now hold on. someone has some explaining to do. 21k=hood. 21k....=....hood? 21k=hood?! is it solid gold?! Are hoods sentimental to Shelby?! This is something that cant me let down. Is it titium?! Does it at least change colors or have better connection to the internet?!...no.no.no.no.Thats not even a bragging right. Im getting on ebay...ill make a fortune over night...

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
BumbleDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:21 AM   #10
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
its true, i read it. something about it being all fiberglass. its super special. its the gun in the knife fight. its...just a hood to me :\

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
BumbleDs is offline   Reply With Quote