Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 04-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
Uptboi31

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot Camaro Coupe
Flowmaster Outlaw Axleback with 2nd cat removed?

I just ordered the Flowmaster Outlaw Axleback for my 2016. After having a ZL1 the exhaust on my new camaro is way too quiet for me. To be honest, I don't have a lot of extra money to spend now on the nice exhaust systems or catbacks. This car also is a automatic with the stupid AFM. So I'm asking advice on what to do when i get the axleback installed. Should I have the secondary cats removed also and get a pipe welded in it's place or just leaving it alone and see how it sounds only changing the rear? I want it to sound louder and more aggressive. I know when the car goes into 4 cylinder mode, it's not going to be loud no matter what but when it's in 8 cylinder mode, I want to hear it. I bought a range device to disable the AFM but haven't tried it yet. All my friends keep telling me I'm stupid for modifying a car with less than 500 miles on it but I feel it's my car and I'm paying for it so I can do what I want with it. I know I should have been patient and ordered a car with the performance exhaust but this one was everything I wanted except that and it was on the lot to take home that day. I'm expecting delivery Tuesday and getting it done soon as I get it so tell me what you think I should do, remove the secondary cats or not?
Old 04-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
IMHO, I would just add the Outlaw first...see how you like the sound, and then go from there!

On my 2012, I have the full Outlaw system, and it is the baddest sound on the road...I'm going to be doing the same to my 2016....to me the Outlaw is the Perfect Muscle car sound, and very liveable to my 55 Year old ears!
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptboi31 View Post
I just ordered the Flowmaster Outlaw Axleback for my 2016. After having a ZL1 the exhaust on my new camaro is way too quiet for me. To be honest, I don't have a lot of extra money to spend now on the nice exhaust systems or catbacks. This car also is a automatic with the stupid AFM. So I'm asking advice on what to do when i get the axleback installed. Should I have the secondary cats removed also and get a pipe welded in it's place or just leaving it alone and see how it sounds only changing the rear? I want it to sound louder and more aggressive. I know when the car goes into 4 cylinder mode, it's not going to be loud no matter what but when it's in 8 cylinder mode, I want to hear it. I bought a range device to disable the AFM but haven't tried it yet. All my friends keep telling me I'm stupid for modifying a car with less than 500 miles on it but I feel it's my car and I'm paying for it so I can do what I want with it. I know I should have been patient and ordered a car with the performance exhaust but this one was everything I wanted except that and it was on the lot to take home that day. I'm expecting delivery Tuesday and getting it done soon as I get it so tell me what you think I should do, remove the secondary cats or not?

I keep most of my cars an average of 8 years. Some as short as 6 months, some as long as 30 years. I like modifying when new because it gives me that much longer to drive a car the exact way I want it. Like you said, your paying for it.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 04-10-2016 at 08:55 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:

I'm In same situation, just mounted the GM perf axle back and thought about taking off the 2nd cats, both my exhaust guy and A guy I trust here TR6, agree, it will add high end growl but not the idle burble I would like to add to, so I'm sticking to just the axle back for now.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
Uptboi31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
IMHO, I would just add the Outlaw first...see how you like the sound, and then go from there!

On my 2012, I have the full Outlaw system, and it is the baddest sound on the road...I'm going to be doing the same to my 2016....to me the Outlaw is the Perfect Muscle car sound, and very liveable to my 55 Year old ears!
I'm not talking about getting the full Outlaw system, just the axleback. If I was getting the full system this wouldn't be a question I'd need answered.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:55 AM   #6
Intimidator

Quote:
I'm not talking about getting the full Outlaw system, just the axleback. If I was getting the full system this wouldn't be a question I'd need answered.
This was my answer to your question!...........IMHO, I would just add the Outlaw first...see how you like the sound, and then go from there!

This was just to tell you that at least I had Experience with the Outlaw!.........On my 2012, I have the full Outlaw system, and it is the baddest sound on the road...I'm going to be doing the same to my 2016....to me the Outlaw is the Perfect Muscle car sound, and very livable to my 55 Year old ears!
Old 04-11-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
This was my answer to your question!...........IMHO, I would just add the Outlaw first...see how you like the sound, and then go from there!

This was just to tell you that at least I had Experience with the Outlaw!.........On my 2012, I have the full Outlaw system, and it is the baddest sound on the road...I'm going to be doing the same to my 2016....to me the Outlaw is the Perfect Muscle car sound, and very livable to my 55 Year old ears!
What does the oldlday say? My sons for sure would agree but when you get the wife and daughters complaining in stereo... Heck, I should just ban them from the car.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #8
Ricojesse

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
I ordered the outlaw as well, i was going to wait for a quad tipped catback solution but instead im now going with the axle back and im going to have my shop remove the secondary cats as well as the crimped pipes with straight pipes then the outlaw. Hopefully ill have this done this week and post vids of how it sounds.
Ricojesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #9
Intimidator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
What does the oldlday say? My sons for sure would agree but when you get the wife and daughters complaining in stereo... Heck, I should just ban them from the car.
It's just me and my 14 year old son...I booted her, have full custody, got the house, and she pays child support!
Old 04-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #10
Uptboi31

I got the Outlaw catback installed today and decided to leave the back cats on the car to start with to see how it sounded before cutting them out. I'm more than satisfied with how it sounds with the back cats still on. The car now sounds as good as my ZL1 used to. If anyone is looking to add a exhaust within a budget, I paid less than 550.00 for this system and I'm more than happy with it. The roar at start up is awesome and it's not that loud once your at cruising speed. Even with the AFM it still sounds 100% better than the stock exhaust. Once I take a video, I will post it so you can hear it. It sounds just like the flowmaster website video for the outlaw though. Totally satisfied with their product. I had to roll the windows down and turn down the radio to enjoy the noise again. Stock exhaust is way too lame, this changed that big time.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #11
MemBluff23

Drives: 19 Camaro SS
Can't wait to see through video. The outlaw system is a very nice and deep sounding exhaust system
MemBluff23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:05 AM   #12
Intimidator

Quote:
I got the Outlaw catback installed today and decided to leave the back cats on the car to start with to see how it sounded before cutting them out. I'm more than satisfied with how it sounds with the back cats still on. The car now sounds as good as my ZL1 used to. If anyone is looking to add a exhaust within a budget, I paid less than 550.00 for this system and I'm more than happy with it. The roar at start up is awesome and it's not that loud once your at cruising speed. Even with the AFM it still sounds 100% better than the stock exhaust. Once I take a video, I will post it so you can hear it. It sounds just like the flowmaster website video for the outlaw though. Totally satisfied with their product. I had to roll the windows down and turn down the radio to enjoy the noise again. Stock exhaust is way too lame, this changed that big time.
I can't say it enough, but the Outlaw is my favorite sounding exhaust.
IMHO, there is not another system that can come close to the Big Block deep sound that this series of Muffler makes!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #13
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Congrats on the exhaust! I would sell the range device if I were you. Yeah AFM makes the car silent but the extra gas mileage is worth it to me. Plus if you don't want AFM on, you can keep it from triggering by switching to manual mode. AFM will kick in one time after switching to manual mode but just down or upshift and it won't come back on again. You can hold rpm in any gear from there and no afm until you shift back to auto
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
Tech@Flowmaster

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words! We're glad to hear that you like your new Outlaw system.
Tech@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote