Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
stella16
1959 Chevy Apache 4X4

Drives: 2017 ZL1
first paint damage

It took almost 6000 miles, but my paint is no longer flawless

I also own a 1979 Mastercraft tournament ski boat. I keep the FlyHiigh extended pylon, my jackets, ropes, and wakeboards on a shelf that's mounted to the garage wall.

The shelf collapsed

The extended pylon landed on Stella....my Camaro

The dealer paint shop estimated that the quarter panel re-paint would be $800, but that would leave the spot in the seam where the quarter meets the rear bumper panel.

That spot, adds another $400

so $1200 to make her good as new.

some friends say touch-up paint and forget it. Others say that because it's so new and pretty, that it needs fixed

What do yall think?
Attached Images

stella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Thats a dent, so f you want it to be perfect, possibly paintless dent repair mobile service (google it) or a body shop....i think that # is high......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
SSHULK

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella16 View Post
It took almost 6000 miles, but my paint is no longer flawless

I also own a 1979 Mastercraft tournament ski boat. I keep the FlyHiigh extended pylon, my jackets, ropes, and wakeboards on a shelf that's mounted to the garage wall.

The shelf collapsed

The extended pylon landed on Stella....my Camaro

The dealer paint shop estimated that the quarter panel re-paint would be $800, but that would leave the spot in the seam where the quarter meets the rear bumper panel.

That spot, adds another $400

so $1200 to make her good as new.

some friends say touch-up paint and forget it. Others say that because it's so new and pretty, that it needs fixed

What do yall think?
Any reputable shop can repair that. I'd say touch up on the bumper (with the same paint they mix to paint the quarter) if you're trying to save money. As for the quarter you have to paint the quarter panel all the way to the front pillar (blend). It's a bit more difficult because of the metallic flakes on the nightfall grey, any regular color would be spot painted and then cut off at the quarter.
SSHULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
stella16
1959 Chevy Apache 4X4

Drives: 2017 ZL1
yes. He said that its only billed as 2 hours for actual paint, but he has to pull the spoiler, tail lights...etc, in order for it to be done correctly. That's what drove the price up
stella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:23 PM   #5
SSHULK

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella16 View Post
yes. He said that its only billed as 2 hours for actual paint, but he has to pull the spoiler, tail lights...etc, in order for it to be done correctly. That's what drove the price up
Pull the spoiler? If you have an SS the spoiler overlaps to the quarter, they should be able to paint the quarter with the trunk open and cover all the areas needed and removing the tail lamp of the damaged side.
SSHULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Sorry to say since this dent is on the seem of the door it's not an easy fix. I had a similar door ding and brought it to a few places all said the same thing
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote