Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #1
BMR Tech

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Exclamation BMR Suspension's 6th Gen IRS Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit - Pics, Vid and Info!

We are finally starting to get some parts made up and shipped out. After testing, revising and testing more we are on to a good start with this platform!

One of my favorite products, and one I suspect will be our "homerun" part, is our IRS Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit.

BMR has been providing aftermarket IRS solutions for over 10 years now, and we like to think we are evolving as much or more than the amazing vehicles that these Auto Manufacturers are providing us with.

Traditionally, removing deflection and sloppy performance of the IRS has been accomplished by removing the cradle from the vehicle and replacing all of the rubber pivot and mounting points with more rigid materials such as Polyurethane, Delrin or Aluminum. While these solutions work, and work WELL - these newer more refined vehicles tend to perform quite well with that deflection in place. As the OEM's improve their engineering and offerings to the consumer, we try and ensure that we follow suite.

Enter our IRS Cradle Bushing Lockout Kits. For the 6th Gen Camaro, we have finalized our design to include a number of uniquely designed components made from Delrin, Aluminum and Stainless Steel. These components are the highest of quality, and as you will see in the video below, remove a tremendous amount of Cradle Deflection (without increasing NVH much at all)

Here is a shot of the 2016+ Camaro IRS Cradle, from front to back

A shot of the BMR Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit

We designed this kit to reduce fore, aft, vertical cradle movement/deflection....as well as align the cradle to the chassis better than how it comes from the factory (which leads to better IRS suspension geometry)

Starting with the front upper bushing, we put a centering spacer in the OEM sleeve that centers the bushing to the OEM 3/4" lug.

Factory Upper Side Front Bushing

Spacer Installed

Delrin Upper Lockout Ring, Fills the Void and Reduces Vertical Movement by increasing the rubber durometer/stiffnes

Flip to the bottom side of the front bushing, and check out those voids!

Here I show the lower bushing lockout ring, and it's intricate machining to fill the voids

Massive Stainless Steel Washer to provide the proper clamping load to make the front system work as designed, and protect the Delrin Lower Ring from being damaged.

On to the rear. Here is a shot of the OEM Upper Rear Bushing Mount

Upper Delrin Lockout ring, to fill voids and minimize deflection

On the bottom side, take a look at the sloppy rear bushing and massive voids.

Enter, our unique aluminum "Bullets" to fill those large voids- these things are pretty cool!

And here you see our aluminum washer, designed to hold the Bullets in place as well as limit the cradle movement by locking the edge of the cradle to the center OEM Sleeve.

Finally, here is a teaser of some of the deflection that is removed from this easy bolt-in kit.

If you have any questions, this is the thread to ask!

BMR Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
mgwarlock
Nightfall Gray Blackout

Any shop that you recommend here in Long Island New York?
mgwarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
SSHULK

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS NPP
You guys need to release the lowering springs already.
SSHULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSHULK View Post
You guys need to release the lowering springs already.
THIS, including MRC ones........
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
BMR Tech

No body wants that more than we do! Me specifically....lol.

Coming, they're coming!
Old 04-30-2016, 12:38 AM   #6
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
So what percentage of the deflection is removed with this setup? I take it a full bushing is in the works maybe?

And can that cradle just be dropped a bit, side by side like installing inserts on the 5th gen?

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:58 AM   #7
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Love all this crazy awesome stuff you are designing for the Gen 6....but I think 75% off us will not buy this type of product.
We will buy your springs and sways though! Get on it!

What would be the labour to install this? How many hours will be booked by our mechanic? 4? 8? Will this cost $500 to install.

SP044 Please. I'm First in Line!!

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
bubbajan21

Drives: 2016 2SS
This may be a stupid question, but does the entire rear subframe need to be removed to install this?
bubbajan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
brick777

Drives: 1999 SS
suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Tech View Post
No body wants that more than we do! Me specifically....lol.

Coming, they're coming!
Hey Kelly…you guys manufacture good effective suspension pieces that greatly improve the oem components. I understand that BMR also makes a complete suspension kit with a watts link for the gen 4 camaro ? Very innovative !

Can you pm me on that gen 4 kit ?

Thanks

Victor
brick777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:24 AM   #10
AlwaysAmerican

Drives: 15 Silverado, 15 Corvette 2LT Z51
How much of a wait are we looking at for the release of the lock out kit?
Old 05-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #11
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Love all this crazy awesome stuff you are designing for the Gen 6....but I think 75% off us will not buy this type of product.
I'm speaking from experience on the gen 5 Camaro but this is probably the single most important part of the rear suspension to prevent wheel hop. Elimination of wheel hop and stabilization of cradle mounting to the car will improve performance more than sways or springs. I know the springs are often done for looks but if you want performance this is where you need to start.

Quote:
We are finally starting to get some parts made up and shipped out. After testing, revising and testing more we are on to a good start with this platform!

One of my favorite products, and one I suspect will be our "homerun" part, is our IRS Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit.

BMR has been providing aftermarket IRS solutions for over 10 years now, and we like to think we are evolving as much or more than the amazing vehicles that these Auto Manufacturers are providing us with.

Traditionally, removing deflection and sloppy performance of the IRS has been accomplished by removing the cradle from the vehicle and replacing all of the rubber pivot and mounting points with more rigid materials such as Polyurethane, Delrin or Aluminum. While these solutions work, and work WELL - these newer more refined vehicles tend to perform quite well with that deflection in place. As the OEM's improve their engineering and offerings to the consumer, we try and ensure that we follow suite.

Enter our IRS Cradle Bushing Lockout Kits. For the 6th Gen Camaro, we have finalized our design to include a number of uniquely designed components made from Delrin, Aluminum and Stainless Steel. These components are the highest of quality, and as you will see in the video below, remove a tremendous amount of Cradle Deflection (without increasing NVH much at all)

We designed this kit to reduce fore, aft, vertical cradle movement/deflection....as well as align the cradle to the chassis better than how it comes from the factory (which leads to better IRS suspension geometry)

Starting with the front upper bushing, we put a centering spacer in the OEM sleeve that centers the bushing to the OEM 3/4" lug.

Factory Upper Side Front Bushing

Spacer Installed

Delrin Upper Lockout Ring, Fills the Void and Reduces Vertical Movement by increasing the rubber durometer/stiffnes

Flip to the bottom side of the front bushing, and check out those voids!

Here I show the lower bushing lockout ring, and it's intricate machining to fill the voids

Massive Stainless Steel Washer to provide the proper clamping load to make the front system work as designed, and protect the Delrin Lower Ring from being damaged.

On to the rear. Here is a shot of the OEM Upper Rear Bushing Mount

Upper Delrin Lockout ring, to fill voids and minimize deflection

On the bottom side, take a look at the sloppy rear bushing and massive voids.

Enter, our unique aluminum "Bullets" to fill those large voids- these things are pretty cool!

If you have any questions, this is the thread to ask!

That is quite a kit you guys have developed.

I'm kind of wondering why GM made these bushings so complex but I like that you guys at BMR just tighten up the existing material rather than throw it all away and slide in something else. Looks like a great product! I'm sure a set of those are going to end up in my car before too long!

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:55 AM   #12
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
It appears you could loosen all 4 bolts, then drop a side at a time to install these very easily. Can you confirm that?

Does the rear suspension/body ride height increase due to the additional height of the insert flanges above the subframe?

How much is NVH affected? My car sounds like a monster truck on mudders already on rough Texas roads.

MRC Springs!!!
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
BMR Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwarlock View Post
Any shop that you recommend here in Long Island New York?
Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any shops we recommend there. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
So what percentage of the deflection is removed with this setup? I take it a full bushing is in the works maybe?

And can that cradle just be dropped a bit, side by side like installing inserts on the 5th gen?
Based on footage, load testing and simulation we are seeing right at about 90% reduction in most situations.

Yes, full bushings are en route. This kit will work "about" as well as a Poly Bushing system.

Yes, the cradle can just be dropped (lowered) a little to install this kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post

What would be the labour to install this? How many hours will be booked by our mechanic? 4? 8? Will this cost $500 to install.

SP044 Please. I'm First in Line!!
Well 75% of you will be missing out.

This kit is not specifically designed for racing, or drag racing, or to remove wheel hop. It is designed to make the car more enjoyable in every way - handling, braking, cornering, etc. I think many people who may initially say "meh, thats not for me" - will end up acquiring these BK063 Kits.

Labor wise, I cant see it being more than 2-3 hours.

SP044 - FTW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajan21 View Post
This may be a stupid question, but does the entire rear subframe need to be removed to install this?
Just lowered a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick777 View Post
Hey Kelly…you guys manufacture good effective suspension pieces that greatly improve the oem components. I understand that BMR also makes a complete suspension kit with a watts link for the gen 4 camaro ? Very innovative !

Can you pm me on that gen 4 kit ?

Thanks

Victor
Victor, please shoot an email to Kyle. He is our 4th Gen guy.

kyle@bmrsuspension.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAmerican View Post
How much of a wait are we looking at for the release of the lock out kit?
I am hoping to start taking orders this week and ship next!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I'm speaking from experience on the gen 5 Camaro but this is probably the single most important part of the rear suspension to prevent wheel hop. Elimination of wheel hop and stabilization of cradle mounting to the car will improve performance more than sways or springs. I know the springs are often done for looks but if you want performance this is where you need to start.

That is quite a kit you guys have developed.

I'm kind of wondering why GM made these bushings so complex but I like that you guys at BMR just tighten up the existing material rather than throw it all away and slide in something else. Looks like a great product! I'm sure a set of those are going to end up in my car before too long!
They sure are nice. Very very nice.

I think this will be up towards the top as one of our best sellers for the 2016+ 6th Gen Camaros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post
It appears you could loosen all 4 bolts, then drop a side at a time to install these very easily. Can you confirm that?

Does the rear suspension/body ride height increase due to the additional height of the insert flanges above the subframe?

How much is NVH affected? My car sounds like a monster truck on mudders already on rough Texas roads.

MRC Springs!!!
Yes, I can confirm. It is very simple.

Ride Height is not affected. The heights seen in the pics are not a representation of how the parts look once installed. The rubber compresses and the oem Sleeve sits flush and contacts the chassis, as it does in stock form.

NVH is not increased much at all. Honestly, I can't even tell this part is on the car NVH-wise.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #14
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any shops we recommend there. Sorry.

Based on footage, load testing and simulation we are seeing right at about 90% reduction in most situations.

Yes, full bushings are en route. This kit will work "about" as well as a Poly Bushing system.

Yes, the cradle can just be dropped (lowered) a little to install this kit.

Well 75% of you will be missing out.

This kit is not specifically designed for racing, or drag racing, or to remove wheel hop. It is designed to make the car more enjoyable in every way - handling, braking, cornering, etc. I think many people who may initially say "meh, thats not for me" - will end up acquiring these BK063 Kits.

Labor wise, I cant see it being more than 2-3 hours.

SP044 - FTW!!!

Just lowered a little.

Victor, please shoot an email to Kyle. He is our 4th Gen guy.

kyle@bmrsuspension.com

I am hoping to start taking orders this week and ship next!!!

They sure are nice. Very very nice.

I think this will be up towards the top as one of our best sellers for the 2016+ 6th Gen Camaros.

Yes, I can confirm. It is very simple.

Ride Height is not affected. The heights seen in the pics are not a representation of how the parts look once installed. The rubber compresses and the oem Sleeve sits flush and contacts the chassis, as it does in stock form.

NVH is not increased much at all. Honestly, I can't even tell this part is on the car NVH-wise.

I know this is a very old thread, but are you saying the poly bushings are better than these?

And how does this affect a MRC suspension if it does?

Also is installation straight forward, or are there other certain items that need to be removed for installation. Keep in mind, I haven't been under my car yet, so this one may be a dumb question.