Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
kellertxgen5

Drives: 2LT RS - Black w' black 21's
V6 Tune??

Been away from the board for a while? Anybody tuning the v6 yet?

kellertxgen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Soon..... Where there is money, you'll find the mod .....
Old 10-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Soon..... Where there is money, you'll find the mod .....
HA Funny, yeah soon. It all relative to the amount of cars sold, thought I saw somewhere that 66% of camaro's sold were SS versions. Thats where the people are concentrating thier efforts on
mydreamcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydreamcar View Post
HA Funny, yeah soon. It all relative to the amount of cars sold, thought I saw somewhere that 66% of camaro's sold were SS versions. Thats where the people are concentrating thier efforts on
It's more involved than that... The V6 uses a Bosch ECU which has proved very difficult to work with...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
CamaroBAMF28

Drives: Black 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
It's more involved than that... The V6 uses a Bosch ECU which has proved very difficult to work with...
why cant GM help us out????
CamaroBAMF28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
fastal

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBAMF28 View Post
GM has no incentive at all to make tuning easy. They tuned the car primarily for emissions, fuel mileage and reliability.
fastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS/M6
Quote:
ummm....because GM doesn't want you to tune your car.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
Quote:
Several reasons; They don't what you to modify the car outside of the specs that they certified it to, for the government.
Intellectual Property; OE's are very protective of code.
Licensing; I read somewhere that GM has very strict agreement with Bosch for their technology.
The Operating System is completeely differnt on this style engine mamagement. It relearns every 50-100 miles.

Here are some posts from the Cadillac CTS forums.

The reprogramming of this type of CPU is hideously complicated. If GM released the details of the unit it wouldn't help that much. Everything interacts with everything else. Changing one simple parameter reverberates throught the entire system. To change one data bit requires reconstructing and reloading the entire program. To do that requires writing the code for a program to compile the new program. The point I am trying to make is that we're talking about a project that would make Microsoft and Bill Gates think twice before commiting to it. To be marketable at all the program to rewrite the program would have to have a graphical interface with fields to fill in for new values. Then it would have to anticipate the effects and calculate all the changes required to other functions. Finally it would have to create a new instruction set and load it in the CPU. We're talking a project involving many people and money that is easily into the high six figures. On top of that, the first time some clown slipped up and destroyed his motor you're now in court paying lawyers. I am convinced that any rumors about tinkering with the CPU is a lot of misinformed wishful thinking. Don't hold your breath.

So far no one has even claimed to know what operating system is used by the CPU or whether the programming is all in machine language. I think it's interesting to note that all the factory changes are made by installing patches which means that rather than parameters being changed, the progrmming is being rewritten. When you want to change the rear gear ratio or tire size you don't just stick in some new numbers with a TECH II. Some factory geek has to construct what is known as a "V word"
that is in essence a very long data word that not only changes the values you want to change but how the rest of the EMU uses that data. Then the "V word " has to be installed by the patching process. If the "V word process has already been constructed previously you are in good shape, otherwise the charges can be in the six figure range. On top of that, any changes to engine parameters have to be validated by dyno time in the engine test department. The idea that some clown somewhere is going to create a program for your laptop in his spare time to do all this is pretty far fetched.

SEMA PICTURES-PARTS & CARS
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/sema_2009
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
" The idea that some clown somewhere is going to create a program for your laptop in his spare time to do all this is pretty far fetched. "

Hate to say it but that's where most of the best ideas come from.... There's a lot of geeks running around and do this type of thing, just for the challenge.....

Remember anything made by man, can be broken by man .... And yes it is probably a proprietary machine language like what NASA uses.... ( HALE )
Old 10-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Lingenfelter has apparently cracked it, at least partially, while developing their V6 supercharger kit. They're not offering tunes yet, but odds are they'll be the first.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post
" The idea that some clown somewhere is going to create a program for your laptop in his spare time to do all this is pretty far fetched. "

Hate to say it but that's where most of the best ideas come from.... There's a lot of geeks running around and do this type of thing, just for the challenge.....

Remember anything made by man, can be broken by man .... And yes it is probably a proprietary machine language like what NASA uses.... ( HALE )

I agree, people will take this on as a challenge. The first "impossible" feat is the hardest, then more come ...1st 4 minute mile, breaking the sound barrier etc.

I was just posting that info as an example of how different this computer is from the LS3 version.
Also that was posted in 2006. And still no one has a tune for it.

SEMA PICTURES-PARTS & CARS
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/sema_2009
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
pretty sure slp is tuning them also
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
I agree, people will take this on as a challenge. The first "impossible" feat is the hardest, then more come ...1st 4 minute mile, breaking the sound barrier etc.

I was just posting that info as an example of how different this computer is from the LS3 version.
Also that was posted in 2006. And still no one has a tune for it.
and I will add, the first will not only be the hardest, but also probably pretty expensive... to paraphrase Lingerfelter, "you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet..." So how many tuners do you have to sell to cover the cost of a few popped motors?

Now if you are designing a complete and fairly expensive FI kit then you are more than likely able to recoup your R&D costs faster...

And agreed... the CTS guys have been asking for a tune for quite a while...

And back to Lingenfelter... wonder if they are using some type of piggy back system...
Old 10-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #14
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
pretty sure slp is tuning them also
LLTs?