Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-25-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
Grey_AF

Drives: 16' Camaro SS Midnight Grey 6spd
Thinking of trading for Chevy SS

So I love my 16' Camaro 1SS, its a M6 with Nightfall Grey Metallic paint but I have to admit it was an impulse purchase coming from a Nissan Maxima. I had to have a V8 again, something that was fun to drive. However, I do have 2 small children and a wife who cant/refuses to drive a manual.

So I have considered trading in for a 15/16' Chevy SS, I know i'll take a huge hit in equity but I will be gaining usable back seats, auto transmission, plus Leather, HUD etc. I know the performance is diminished but it still has an LS3.

Someone just give me a sanity check on this and tell me if I'm thinking straight.

Thanks!
2016 Camaro Midnight Grey Metallic 1SS w/ Grey Split spoke factory wheels, 15% tint all around, Borla S-Type Catback, Skip Shift Eliminator, Mishimoto Catch can, rear decklid blakout, sidemark/tail lamp blackout kit, OEM black bow ties, Premium Grey trim GM floormats, All-weather cargo mat, Radar detector hardwire kit
Grey_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
You are not thinking straight. You're selling a car so you can buy a car that your wife can drive. If that's not the definition of insanity, I'm not sure what is.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Money wise yeah, your gonna take a hit. If you can afford the hit and you are truly trading for the aforementioned reasons, especially if you need that back seat, then do it. If it's mainly so the wife can drive it, then NO! I assume she has her own car.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Just realize although the SS is a unique application, it's really a bad seller… you'll have a hard time moving it unless you trade it when you're done. The auctions are proving not to be kind to this car.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
The SS sedan is no slouch. It's very mod friendly and you will be happy. Oh Yea and your wife will be too. Someone once told me "happy wife happy life". I live by that one myself. Well most of the time. Lol.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:13 AM   #6
Grey_AF

Yes, we have a Chevy Traverse as well so the kids can ride in comfort. I just get sick of the guilt trip from the wife, but I continue to offer lessons on how to drive a manual. I still wouldn't want her to take the Camaro by herself somewhere even if she could drive it.

Well thanks for the sanity check, I know it was a semi-selfish purchase but the wife and kids get everything else of mine so a cool car is all I have to hold on to the man card.
2016 Camaro Midnight Grey Metallic 1SS w/ Grey Split spoke factory wheels, 15% tint all around, Borla S-Type Catback, Skip Shift Eliminator, Mishimoto Catch can, rear decklid blakout, sidemark/tail lamp blackout kit, OEM black bow ties, Premium Grey trim GM floormats, All-weather cargo mat, Radar detector hardwire kit
Old 09-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #7
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_AF View Post
So I love my 16' Camaro 1SS, its a M6 with Nightfall Grey Metallic paint but I have to admit it was an impulse purchase coming from a Nissan Maxima. I had to have a V8 again, something that was fun to drive. However, I do have 2 small children and a wife who cant/refuses to drive a manual.

So I have considered trading in for a 15/16' Chevy SS, I know i'll take a huge hit in equity but I will be gaining usable back seats, auto transmission, plus Leather, HUD etc. I know the performance is diminished but it still has an LS3.

Someone just give me a sanity check on this and tell me if I'm thinking straight.

Thanks!
When people ask me why I'm not married and do not want children, all I have to do is show them this
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #8
Grey_AF

Definitely a lot of give and take with a family! My wishes and priorities come second, third or fourth yet I bring home the bacon. My wife doesn't like taking the SUV around town when she is free from the kids, but she's too afraid of a manual.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #9
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_AF View Post
Definitely a lot of give and take with a family! My wishes and priorities come second, third or fourth yet I bring home the bacon. My wife doesn't like taking the SUV around town when she is free from the kids, but she's too afraid of a manual.
Sell the traverse and get her a full size car. Enough room for kids and she doesn't have to drive the SUV
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #10
Toad98370

Drives: 2017 2ss A8 Convertible
I heard there was a stop sale on the ss? I went to test drive one in July and the dealership said they couldn't allow test drives or sales until a seat belt issue was fixed. That is what prompted my 2SS A8 :-)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Toad98370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #11
Grey_AF

Yeah the driver side seatbelt tensioner was found to be faulty. So GM issued a mandatory recall for a new harness and seat cover for the SS. Should be all cleared up by now.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #12
BrandX
Camaro Again?

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I actually traded my 2SS for a Chevy SS back in July. However, When I went to take delivery the dealer would not release the car due to the stop sale for the recall. I'm glad I kept the Camaro!!!!!

I drove the SS a second time for an extended time period and found it to be a little "flat". Don't get me wrong it is a nice car, but I realized for myself it was not a good fit and I would quickly get bored. I have a Wife and a 5 year old at home, so I can relate to the space issues.

Truth is my wife has a Dodge Durango R/T and could care less she does not drive the Camaro. Sounds to me like your wife is possibly a little jealous that you have your toy, but she does not have hers, or she is practical minded and does not feel a Camaro is the right choice.

Luckily I have a wife who understands I like cars and tolerates my impulses.

Keep the Camaro and use the Traverse for family duty.

The SS, when it goes out of production, will hold strong value......right now they plummet like a rock because new ones can be bought at a substantial discount.

If the Camaro was an automatic, would she feel different?

I'm thinking no!!

Last edited by BrandX; 09-25-2016 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added content
BrandX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The "can't/refuses" to learn to drive a manual is the problem. Her "attitude" needs adjusting. That's her call, and a very costly one to the family.

Keep trying, or make a game of it, whatever it takes to get her to drive a manual. It is possible.

Good luck.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #14
Mr. Grumpy
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
Sell the traverse and get her a full size car. Enough room for kids and she doesn't have to drive the SUV
^^^ This. My wife has an SUV that I'm making payments for, that's why I get to buy what ever car I want for myself. She actually likes my Camaro and didn't say anything when I traded my 2012 BMW 535 M Sport for my FIFTY.