Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 04-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
DFW - Race tracks

I just got the ZL1 and have never tracked my past cars, but I think I am going to for this car. I am not a novice at driving, but have never tracked because I can't stand a helmet. So I am going to buck it up and try it.

I only die once, right.

Any suggestions on anything.

Looks like I need a Helment(don't know what to buy), suit, maybe good shoes.

I have looked at several tracks around. Eagles Canyon, Motorsport Ranch, just to name a couple.

Any tips from anyone before I take the plunge?

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
The Apex driving academy at Motorsports Ranch Cresson is really good. Instructors are great and they limit the number of drivers on track at once to 15 I think, which makes less traffic on course.
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
TheMaGikDucK

Drives: 2016 1SS
You want a helmet that is SA rated (pref 2015). Dont let anyone tell you a motorcycle helmet is okay, its not and they're designed for a SINGLE different impact. If your just doing an HPDE you dont need a suit or gloves. Wear long pants and cotton tee (long or short, sometimes groups require long). You will get used to wearing a helmet, the same you got used to the ridiculously terrible visibility in the camaro.

Also, if you've never been on a track before, your a novice. No amount of street driving or drag strip or anything else is comparable. It takes many hours of actual on track time to be bumped out of novice. There is track awareness and other aspects that determine where you are as a driver. The goal should not be to be the fastest in the group (thats easy in a ZL1), it should be to be perfectly smooth, be properly on the racing line, and not cause any pucker moments or worse.

Remember, the point is to have fun and go home safe just the way you arrived. The fastest laps I've ever ran, were done not when I was trying to beat previous times, but when I was just focused on being safe and smooth anyway.

My experience: Instructor
TheMaGikDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #4
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Also I bought my helmet from Smiley's Racing, it depends on the track / event but I'm pretty sure you just need one that is Snell SA2005 or higher rated. You dont need a suit or shoes unless you want them. Some tracks require long sleeve shirts but they only require suits in general if you have like a race car. You need close toed shoes but that is the only requirement.
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
mbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaGikDucK View Post

Remember, the point is to have fun and go home safe just the way you arrived. The fastest laps I've ever ran, were done not when I was trying to beat previous times, but when I was just focused on being safe and smooth anyway.
AMEN!
Old 04-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
unavailablezl1

Quote:
You want a helmet that is SA rated (pref 2015). Dont let anyone tell you a motorcycle helmet is okay, its not and they're designed for a SINGLE different impact. If your just doing an HPDE you dont need a suit or gloves. Wear long pants and cotton tee (long or short, sometimes groups require long). You will get used to wearing a helmet, the same you got used to the ridiculously terrible visibility in the camaro.

Also, if you've never been on a track before, your a novice. No amount of street driving or drag strip or anything else is comparable. It takes many hours of actual on track time to be bumped out of novice. There is track awareness and other aspects that determine where you are as a driver. The goal should not be to be the fastest in the group (thats easy in a ZL1), it should be to be perfectly smooth, be properly on the racing line, and not cause any pucker moments or worse.

Very good points, it's not who finishes first, it's who finishes in one piece, minus some brake dust, gas and rubber. I do intend to take your advice in slower at first which is the only sense there is when I don't know the car or the track. I have been getting used to the car on twisty back roads staying within the break-in period guidelines(maybe a couple of, oops). FM 1384 going towards Eagles Canyon Raceway has some very good corners and learning the Rev-Matching, which is kinda cheating but fun.

I am not sure if this can be done, but I would like the instructor to drive my car for me once around to show me the ropes and remove most of the surprises visually. Then let me drive with him in, of course. They said I might not get to drive solo for several visits. Fine by me.

So I guess I have to go get my big fat head measured for a helmet. I am 6'1" and it might be tight with the sunroof....stupid sunroof.

Ok, I am off to go for my usual off road bike ride around Grapevine Lake...and of course I am hauling @$$....fast but safe and of course fun.

Past Rides

Last edited by unavailablezl1; 04-13-2017 at 05:20 PM. Reason: d
Old 04-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringtheory View Post
The Apex driving academy at Motorsports Ranch Cresson is really good. Instructors are great and they limit the number of drivers on track at once to 15 I think, which makes less traffic on course.
That does sound good. I have heard the track at Eagles Canyon was kinda beat up and needs repair. Do you know about that?

Past Rides
Old 04-14-2017, 07:39 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Minimum shoe requirement for HPDE seems to be that they have to be 'closed'. No open-toe shoes, flip-flops, or sandals. Tie-up "walking shoes" that you could wear to work most places (Reebok, New Balance, etc.) are OK, not sure about loafers (but I wouldn't ever recommend them even if they were OK'ed).

For a helmet, give eyeport size (and perhaps shape) consideration. With SA2015 being better than SA2010 (and SA2005 perhaps not being accepted everywhere or by every track day group). I'd suggest Simpson's Voyager except that I received notice yesterday that some of them (some SA2015's) have been recalled for a fix.

From an Intermediate-level (solo) point of view: drive smoothly and at a pace that you and your instructor are both comfortable with. Don't worry about how much of that available power you're NOT using or about 'peak speeds attained down the straights' . . . top speed is probably the least important measure here (never mind that you may have already driven this and other cars faster than that - "unofficially", of course ).

Autocross experience might have prepared you for the cornering g's, but not the cornering speeds (not the same thing at all). Nothing else is even that close.

Norm
Old 04-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #9
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Also, follow the performance supplement: change/upgrade oil & brake fluid, and bed those brake pads.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #10
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
Also, follow the performance supplement: change/upgrade oil & brake fluid, and bed those brake pads.
I think it also said after 1500 miles if you are going to track it, change the rear end gear oil.

Past Rides
Old 04-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
stella16
1959 Chevy Apache 4X4

Drives: 2017 ZL1
how beat up is the car, the paint, going to get tracking it?

Do you guys use a separate set of wheels and tires? Or just the street setup?
3000 2-15-17
3000 TPW 3-13-17
3300 3-6-17
3800 3-13-17
4B00 3-13-17
4200 3-15-17
4800 3-22-17
5000 3-27-17
6000 3-28-17
stella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #12
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
I think it also said after 1500 miles if you are going to track it, change the rear end gear oil.
I think the manual says change after first track event, but many here change the fluid first, on or before 1500 miles.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #13
TheMaGikDucK

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella16 View Post
how beat up is the car, the paint, going to get tracking it?

Do you guys use a separate set of wheels and tires? Or just the street setup?
Double edged sword as far as paint goes, you should not be following that close due to safety reasons, but there are far stickier tires that are fully up to temp ahead of you. However most tracks are pretty clean anyway.

I ran last season with OEM wheels and a more track focused tire (the oem tires are fine for less experienced drivers and occasional tracking). I have dedicated track wheels now though (you should if you are tracking often), and put the oem tires back on the oem wheels for street use.
TheMaGikDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #14
mr965

Drives: ///M3
Quote:

Spoken like a true instructor. Great points! I like to see first timers do ride alongs initially to get a feel for our braking and turn in points.
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote