Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
TStone

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Orange /Blk Hocky Strip
What to do First!!!!

I have had my car for about 3 months. SS/RS with the auto. I am going to be doing the standard bolt on mods Intake, headers, catback,programer. So I am trying to deciede what to do first. Any suggestions ? I was thinking the progammer, possibly the Super Chip.

Thanks for the input
T- Ron
TStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Any hand held is a waste of money if your doing real mods like Intake, headers, cam, etc.

First start with head, cam, or headers and exhaust, and then tune. You need a REAL tune if you plan on getting headers (assuming long tube)

The way to save money is to research it and do it right the first time.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
Any hand held is a waste of money if your doing real mods like Intake, headers, cam, etc.

First start with head, cam, or headers and exhaust, and then tune. You need a REAL tune if you plan on getting headers (assuming long tube)

jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
playadam

Drives: anything lsx
maybe skip out on all of that and spend your money on a turbo kit...with cam headers and bolt on supporting mods and install your almost half way there moneywise.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
Den4176
El Maligno....

Drives: 2ss/rs,'10-E350, E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by playadam View Post
maybe skip out on all of that and spend your money on a turbo kit...with cam headers and bolt on supporting mods and install your almost half way there moneywise.
^ agreed... you could start with some suspension work also before going with a fast engine bolt-on upgrade.. my two cents
Den4176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
1sickss

Drives: BADDEST SS IN ATL!!!!
tint, then lower it. the exhaust stuff
1sickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone View Post
I have had my car for about 3 months. SS/RS with the auto. I am going to be doing the standard bolt on mods Intake, headers, catback,programer. So I am trying to deciede what to do first. Any suggestions ? I was thinking the progammer, possibly the Super Chip.

Thanks for the input
T- Ron
I have a different take on mods. I believe in starting with the easier, less intense mods first. Kind of building your foundation to support the more aggressive, higher priced, warranty voiding mods later, finishing off with a professional tune that will take advanatage of all the mods. If you do this in stages like most people do (unless you have mondo $ to plunk down at a performance shop), you can do a few mods, then tune, then do more aggressive mods later, then get a re-tune for little $ from the same place. It is up to you. I suggest starting with Headers of your choice and exhaust system of your choice keeping in mind all the future mods you plan on doing, being careful to make the right choices so as not to have to re-do anything later, ie. don't short change your exhaust upgrade if you plan on doing Cam or Supercharger upgrades later. Pick the exhaust system that will support the planned aggressive mods later. Go ahead and spring for a CAI when you do headers and exhaust, then get a tune at that stage. You can run with that for a while and as funds become available, you can plan to go further up the HP/TQ upgrade list. Of course, if you have the big $, just drop the car off at a reputable performance shop and have it come out the other side with everything under the sun making 700+ HP but be prepared to to pay big $ (price of another car in some cases).

Yep, I would start with exhaust and work my way up. That way you can stop at whatever level of power you want. When you build a house, you don't start on the upper levels first ya know. Anyway, this is just my humble opinion. Hope this helps and good luck with your mods.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post

If you could do them in that order, that would be good. BE SURE TO GET A TUNE when done though.
And, I couldn't agree more with doing your research first and doing it right the first time!!!!!
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
For bolt-on mods, I'd start with a cat-back (mostly for sound), then the intake. After that do headers and a DYNO tune together. Stay away from hand-held tuners, waste of money. Even if you do bigger mods, always do your bolt-on's first. They are good supporting mods for the bigger stuff.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote