Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Looking for a oil filter that you take apart and clean...

I found this oil filter once at a drag race that you can take apart and clean. Its not the System One filters. Its another brand, supposed to be better than the System one oil filters. Anyone have any idea what it might be called??

Thanks
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Nxtr

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I think this is what you are looking for http://www.kandpengineering.com/index.shtml it is a S17 that would fit the Camaro. I have used the Scotts version http://www.scottsperformance.com/pro...php?PartType=3 on my Buell in the past and it worked great. I am going to do some more research before I put one on my Camaro though...

V/R,
Nick
Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
1000 hp dragster, it's a good idea. Stock new Camaro, don't know why you would waste the money. If you want to throw that money away and complicate your oil changes, you will at least need to make sure the micron rating and bypass valving is the same.

I use to use take apart canister stype and Oberg filters on a dragster I ran for many years. After they started mandating oil pan diapers it became very difficult to inspect the bearings. So everyone moved to the take apart inspection style filters to check for debris and damage between rounds without having to spend an hour messing with the diaper. But those racing filters have to filter a completely different oil at a completely different rate than a stock street car. Plus they use a different bypass blowoff method for relieving excess pressure.

The PF48 is the perfect filter for the LS3. It's been validated to the nth degree, your not going to accomplish anything else buy spending more money. Plus you put something aftermarket on there and show up at a dealer with a problem, gives them an excuse to not to cover it under warranty. Out traveling and that things starts leaking, I can see a dealer saying WTF is this thing and we aren't messing with it.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
I had one on my R6 and it made oil changes at the track a breeze. I've got a parts washer in my garage and a stainless steel filter makes for a quick clean and replacement when performing DIY oil changes
full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
mmbarberoilman

Drives: 2SS, 48 Plymouth, 77 Coup Deville
Oberg is the name. Not really needed. Good product though. Simply run the best synthetic oil on the market and oil filter and if you are REALLY interested in what is going on inside the motor do a complete oil analysis for about $25. That way you know microscopically what is going on. If you simply look at a screen to check out your oil it is WAY too late by the time you see anything on the screen. Of course I suggest you compare any product to Amsoil.
mmbarberoilman is offline   Reply With Quote