Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
Audio Setup

i have been pulling out my hair trying to figure out what amp and speaker setup i want to use. I'm a music person but i dont want to overdue it in my car. dont want to shake the doors off. i have been looking at this

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2O9zedK...GM-D8400M.html

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1...udio+500&ssi=0

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1...h=10w6v2&ssi=0
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
trudawg660

oops noticed i posted in the wrong forum please move
Old 12-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
You can't go wrong with JL. If you're truly an audiophile, it won't hurt to make sure the speakers are appropriately upgraded.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
trudawg660

am not even sure what size speakers are in the car. i have thought about replacing those too
Old 12-15-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
FIREWOLFF

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Jl makes a great product. But they are boomy. If you listen to nothing but rap they are the best, if you listen to rock, country, or anything with live drums they dont do so well. All depends on what you listen to. I listen to everything and prefer Diamond Audio and Treo Engineering. All personal opinion though. Do you have a local audio shop you can go to and listen to them? I would never buy any audio equipment without listening to it first. Its the only way to truly know if its what you are going to like. All the online research in the world will never tell you what its going to sound like in a car. This is why no one believes I have 10's. Right subs, right amp, right box for what I listen to = amazing.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
bamfcamaro

Drives: 2010 2lt rs

wow have you lost your mind ? jl is for sound quality as stated on their site .If you are looking for booming(bump) go with kicker they are used for spl(loud ass sound) if you are listening to country or something clean i would go with jl over anything .Go with one 12 inch jlw6 and a jl 1000.1 amp that would be loud but clean at the same time .you could also go with a jlw3 with a 500.1 amp that woudnt be so loud but give a little extra kick . dont listen to ol numbnuts up here he aint got a clue
bamfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
FIREWOLFF

Ain't got a clue.... I've been selling and installing car audio since 1991. How long have you been doing it? I love people who say JL is the best "sound quality" because its says so on their site. And SPL is not boomy its high tuned bass if you are going to comment you better know what you are talking about(which you clearly don't.) As JL gets into the higher more punchy bass notes(live drums, country, rock and so on) they begin to pop and not produce this bass cleanly. Hence they are better for rap. Not to mention anything above 600 watts on a 12w6 is voided warranty and 500 watts or more voids your 12w3 warranty. For someone who "listens to what they say on the site" you seem to not read all of it just what you want to hear. Since you are in Texas come on down to Victoria I will educate you on car audio.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Lol...you both crack me up. The boomy comes from the enclosure. Either tuned wrong and /or way too big, if it's ported, or just way too big, if it's sealed. Wow, name brand doesn't make a difference if it's boomy or not. Heck, I've ran a Kicker Solo X 18 off a MA Audio HK4000d as my daily, just over 5cubes net tuned to 36hz, IIRC. Very clean, very responsive bass for a sub that weighs 100pds and is designed for spl. It's all about the enclosure, name brand is secondary. Period.

trudawg660, you really want to surprise people? Grab this combo package or, if budget is a bit more of an issue, this package , and don't sweat the mainstreme stuff, lol. I'll personally vouch for both the brand and people behind the first package. The first package would be my choice, and in the right enclosure, .7 to .9 ft sealed net, or just slightly larger for ported, 1 to 1.35ft net, (I'd shoot for 1.1ft^3 net tuned to 34hz, about 20in^2 of port if slot, 3" flared round, or 3.5" round if using pvc) and you'll be beyond impressed.

Again, as a wise man once taught me, 90% enclosure, 7.5% product and 2.5% beer!!
Old 12-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
FIREWOLFF

Every sub has a different natural response. The enclosure makes a huge difference in the way it sounds granted but if the sub has a "boomy" response its not going to be punchy just because you tuned the box higher to compensate. Basically what you are saying is if the box is equal than the subs would sound the same. Thats not the case. If you take a JL and a Diamond and put them identical boxes tuned exactly the same the sound would be completely different. Or any 2 speakers with different natural response. This is why I always find out what the person listens to before making a suggestion about what to buy. I also said its all personal opinion since everyone likes something different. My guess and I may be wrong is you listen to mainly rock or something with live drums since the natural response of the soloX18 was very high due to the stiff suspension. I still have one if anybody wants it by the way. But every sub sounds different everybody likes it the way they want to hear it and it is the job of the people in the industry to make sure everyone gets what they want. I hate it when customers come in and say they hate this brand or that brand based off of someone selling it not knowing how they want it to sound and its not the product is bad its just not matched up to their listening needs. I do agree that the box can make the difference thats why we are where we are but the product still needs to fit in with that as well.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Obviously, there's a lot of dispute over audio. Order at a store that can provide display versions of the units attached to a good amplifier. That's the best way to find out if you're going to have a good setup.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
I'd recommend Polk Audio Momo Series. I've had it in my last three vehicles and I think it sounds great. I plan on replacing the Boston Acoustics that came in my Camaro with Polk.

--Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #12
FIREWOLFF

I like Polk all my home stuff is Polk and it jams.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg660 View Post
am not even sure what size speakers are in the car. i have thought about replacing those too
ok i am different then everybody else. Now if you want some clean sound i could get you some AVI's or HERTZ components. those two are the lower price range. second i could also hook you up with a sub that will sound better then the jl audio. more sound quality then jl. also have the perfect amp to run the 1set of components and the one 10" or 12" sub. i will put money on it that this equipment sounds better then jl, kicker. fosgate. pioneer, alpine. i run it in my car and all you hear from my car when i come down the street is lyrics as if you were sitting in my car and then you have the bass blending and it sounds clean.

check the stuff out http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm

the avi speakers are not on there there differrent then hertz and audison. but either way you cant go wrong.

if you decide to check it out give me part numbers and i will send you prices.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #14
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
..listen for yourself to determine sound quality you crave for..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote