Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-31-2009, 06:20 PM   #71
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
your right... your not an engineer...

be rest assured ladies and gents, if those dampeners didn't need to be on there; they would not be.

say what you want about GM's financial and executive team... but their engineers dont waste time engineering something and then validating it unless it's needed.

it's a necessity, if you dont like it... feel free to find a better solution that matches a 100k mile warrenty.

//end rant.
Like I said I'm no engineer....I am however a bit of a thinker.

If there are dozens of car models out there with Brembo brakes, it would seem logical that the Chevrolet engineers could have copied the Ferrari, Bugati, Porsche, Cadillac, and Chrysler engineers' solution to the squealing brake problem.

Unless of course you feel those engineers AND the ones at Brembo couldn't validate why the dampeners were necessary. I'm not dumping on the engineers at GM. I am simply stating there is more to the story. What is it about the Camaro that makes the dampeners necessary?

// End MY rant.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #72
roy
Erlkoenig

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty 6 View Post
It looks like the caliper from the Porsche is from the Cayenne SUV not a 911 or even Cayman/Boxster. I have yet to see these balancers or weights as they are called on any other car wearing Brembos. There is a guy on here who installed the 6 piston caliper from Brembo.....no weights or squealing.I am no engineer but something just doesn't add up. My guess is there is something happening with the Camaro specifically.
You are correct it is from a Cayenne.
my 4gen has Porsche GT3 brembos onit and the factory pads has the dampers on the them also. Just Porsche designed its dampers on the backing plates as to not be such an eye sore.
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:28 AM   #73
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Solution might be = Buy a Vette?
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:03 AM   #74
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques View Post
I expect that the poster means to apply the lube to the points where the pad backing plate sits in the caliper. Inadequate lubrication at those points contributes to squealing.
Yeah, I took JICPerformance the same way. Definitely put the lube on the contacting metal parts on the back of the pads. At two connecting points on the back of the outside pad and one connecting point on the back of the inside pad where the round master cylinder makes contact. It's worked for me before and a good point made. I'm gonna find the best break quiet lube I can and put a bunch at these points and hope it shuts up the embarrassing squeal.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #75
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
Harmonic dampening technology is used frequently in other industries, too. In the picture below, you can see high voltage transmission lines using harmonic dampeners to cancel out wave motion induced by wind or earth quakes.

The dampers on high voltage lines take many forms, but the most basic is that of two heavy lead weights attached near the end of each line segment near the transmission line support tower or pole.

Not pretty and very low tech. I think I like my Camaro's early stick-on lead weights better than the latest incarnation of the damper.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #76
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
Yeah, I took JICPerformance the same way. Definitely put the lube on the contacting metal parts on the back of the pads. At two connecting points on the back of the outside pad and one connecting point on the back of the inside pad where the round master cylinder makes contact. It's worked for me before and a good point made. I'm gonna find the best break quiet lube I can and put a bunch at these points and hope it shuts up the embarrassing squeal.
As long as it doesn't contaminate the braking surface it's fine. Should be specific with your audience tho, never use lubricant on pads or rotors.

...Remember the guy that flushed his engine with a water hose?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #77
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
As long as it doesn't contaminate the braking surface it's fine. Should be specific with your audience tho, never use lubricant on pads or rotors.

...Remember the guy that flushed his engine with a water hose?

What about the guy who put NOS Energy Drink in his gas?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #78
camaro10

Drives: 2012 45TH Anniversary SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
Solution might be = Buy a Vette?
Or not! My '09 Z51 'Vette's brakes squealed also and was embarrassing. That's one of the reasons, plus no back seat, I got a Camaro SS. My brakes don't squeal, yet, only have 2200 miles, but I don't have the weights, or skates on mine. Why do some have them, some don't?

My newest edition, Chevy V8 Power!
camaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #79
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro21 View Post
I noticed these to at the local Cars & Coffee meet last weekend. They look Fugly
I will keep my weights instead of what looks like part of a chain that is missing a link!
Old 01-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #80
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Thats the nost ugly shit I've ever seen an engineer come up with....but if they think it's something that has to be there, then hells bells.

Hopefully they figure this thing out sooner than later and make it asthetically pleasing.

Or at least better than them little cymbal looking things that the mechanical monkey bangs together.

-Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #81
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
This is stock?
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #82
Phantom.5SS
Hell yeah I'm Guilty.....

Drives: 2010 2-SS ABM NON-RS
Paint them yellow, draw a smiley face on them and be glad you can still afford to own these awsome cars.
OR move to Austrailia and drive an Oscilot.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #83
aldaran

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS/RS
It is part of a high performance system, and there is a reason for them. The part that I don't get is that there are several members here that don't have either on their cars. Did their dealers change their pads out or something?
aldaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #84
JICPerformance
Here to make you faster

Drives: 2005 GTO supercharged 2009 GXP
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
This post has to be a joke
Quite far from. You can apply grease to the back of the pads to help smooth vibrations between the pads and the pistons to reduce or eliminate brake squeal.

You will find that many of your aftermarket brake pads will come with a small packet of grease in the package.
JICPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote