Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
Perrimoe
One Love

Drives: Black 1SS RS
Send a message via Skype™ to Perrimoe
Is it possible? (Bluetooth)

Curious to know if anyone has figured out a way to upgrade their 1SS to hands free bluetooth capable. When I bought my car, the dealer promised me the upgrade, but said it wasn't available at the moment. I prefer it to be as close as possible to that of the 2SS..i'd rather not do the parrot bay type stuff unless it is the only way.I've done a bit of research, and haven't really been able to come up with anything. Any help would be muchly appreciated.
Perrimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Either buy an Onstar module with Bluetooth from ebay - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51929

Or go aftermarket and lose Onstar - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57275
Old 01-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
slick rick for the save!

As of now, the only way to stay as close to the 2SS is the first link slick rick has mentioned.

But you could also have a look at the second link and see what you think! Good luck!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:32 AM   #4
Perrimoe
One Love

You guys are awesome..thanks. Have either of you decided to try one of the two options?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

If you've checked out the aftermarket link, you can see that I am setting up the group buy for the CoStar BlueStar 2010. We have yet to receive word on shipping for that product.

If you decide to get a OnStar module (good luck finding it), there have been many success stories! The only "down side" () is that OnStar will not see your Black 1SS, they will see the other car. So, if the OnStar module came from a Red 2SS, that is what OnStar will see.

Good luck!!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
fixxer56
Thin Blue Line

Drives: ABM 2LT/RS #10094
Send a message via AIM to fixxer56
Another Bluetooth question, is it possible to stream a phone's navigation program over the camaro's system? IE google maps on a Blackberry, Iphone, Android phones? thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer56 View Post
Another Bluetooth question, is it possible to stream a phone's navigation program over the camaro's system? IE google maps on a Blackberry, Iphone, Android phones? thanks
Although I haven't tried, I don't see why not. It just depends on how the specific phone/software handles it.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Perrimoe
One Love

Believe it or not, I actually found the onstar module on Ebay. At the moment i'm the only bidder..but I won't be too heartbroken if I lose out, the BlueStar seems like a pretty good deal as well. I saw on the website that they offered a discount to Military (i'm Navy)..so I emailed and asked about it, and how soon the product would ship. Today I recieved an email from Chris saying that they offered a 10% discount to military, and he was hoping to send out the first batch by the end of the week. Now I have another question for you Iwantone2. In regards to what you said about the Onstar box downside, does that mean I will lose the functionality of Onstar? Does that mean they won't be able to Unlock my car for me, or track my vehicle if stolen? That would pretty much render this option useless. And another thing..would I have to purchase a new steering wheel to control the bluetooth, or can it be managed from the radio?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrimoe View Post
Believe it or not, I actually found the onstar module on Ebay. At the moment i'm the only bidder..but I won't be too heartbroken if I lose out, the BlueStar seems like a pretty good deal as well. I saw on the website that they offered a discount to Military (i'm Navy)..so I emailed and asked about it, and how soon the product would ship. Today I recieved an email from Chris saying that they offered a 10% discount to military, and he was hoping to send out the first batch by the end of the week. Now I have another question for you Iwantone2. In regards to what you said about the Onstar box downside, does that mean I will lose the functionality of Onstar? Does that mean they won't be able to Unlock my car for me, or track my vehicle if stolen? That would pretty much render this option useless. And another thing..would I have to purchase a new steering wheel to control the bluetooth, or can it be managed from the radio?
Hey Perrimoe, sorry for late reply. no, what I meant is that they won't "see" your car, but they will see the other car. so when you log on to your account online, it will show the other car's VIN and such. maybe i'm not the best person to ask because i don't have experience with this method, but i think they should still be able to unlock your doors or call for help in case something unfortunate happens.

i think some of the other members who have gone the "OnStar module replace" don't have steering wheel controls in their car. i think they do it all from their radio's or from the OnStar buttons. user VT2CA was the first one to attempt the OnStar module switch (http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51929), maybe he can best answer the question.

good luck with the bid!!

keep us posted!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
20102SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
You will Lose ALL Onstar Function with the CoStar Bluestar 2010. You have to disconnect the Module to plug in the Bluestar. The Module is the only way to go if you want Onstar. I have heard of other guys calling onstar once the module is in and updating the info. All you have to do is provide the ECM number which is on the module.

GM needs to take their head out of their you know what and provide the parts and info to have people get this done...................

How hard is a retrofit kit...........
20102SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #11
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20102SSRS View Post
You will Lose ALL Onstar Function with the CoStar Bluestar 2010. You have to disconnect the Module to plug in the Bluestar. The Module is the only way to go if you want Onstar. I have heard of other guys calling onstar once the module is in and updating the info. All you have to do is provide the ECM number which is on the module.

GM needs to take their head out of their you know what and provide the parts and info to have people get this done...................

How hard is a retrofit kit...........
yes, this is correct. you lose all OnStar functionality with BlueStar 2010.

until GM does as said, we are limited on options...