Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Stillen Rotors Installed with other Brake Upgrades

Well my calipers were done in gloss black professionaly with the logo in Silver. They look awesome. Did the Goodridge lines, HPS pads and the Stillen rotors.

The rotors looks very nice and very good quality. I took crapy photos with the blackberry but its raining so I cant take photos til the morning.

What really blows is the rear rotors are larger than the fronts, why the hell is that?

Stay tuned til the AM for the photos.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Are the stock ones all the same size? maybe they sent you the wrong ones. I'm interested in the Stillen rotors also, so please let me know how the install goes and pics!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
No, my rear rotors also look larger than the fronts! ??

Did you do the rotors yourself? if so, how did you break the Torx bolts loose on the front wheels since the front wheel rotates freely?

Thanks,
Michael J.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
front rotors are usually larger. that's strange that your rear rotors are bigger. can't wait to see the pics
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
6liter

Drives: BLK
need pics.
I am looking at doing this upgrade myself.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd - Mods: Kenne Bell 2.8, Kooks, Wortec Bi-Modal Exhaust & Big Brake Kit (12piston front), MTI Shifter, BC Racing Coilovers, CCW Thunderbolt, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Carbon Fiber and satin wrap. Thanks to Hartely Automotive for helping with this build.
6liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
55Designs

Guys the OEM rotors are the same deal the rears are larger. I placed them on top of one another and was shocked. I realized the larger rotor goes out back for the inside recess for the E brake. Stupid GM thinking for sure. The rear rotors look to be 1/4-1/2 larger but I didnt take a ruler or caliper to measure. Look wise it should be larger up front but my brakes stock like my Porsche and BMW now, Huge difference with the ATE Blue fluid, stainless lines and the HPS pads and rotors, WOW, you do hear some howling noise but thats normal with cross drilled rotors

Install was a joke. I did this alone on my lunch break at the house in exactly 39 minutes. I do have a shop full of tools at the house but once I jacked the car up i knocked it out quick. I think it would have went faster if i wasnt afriad to scratch ording my freshly painted calipers.

rotor torx screw just unscrews make sure youi have the right bit so you dont strup the head. If it doesnt budge get some WD40 and if that doesnt work get a small propane torch.

Ill have plenty of photos before 12noon EST so hang tight
Old 01-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
6liter

Drives: BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
Guys the OEM rotors are the same deal the rears are larger. I placed them on top of one another and was shocked. I realized the larger rotor goes out back for the inside recess for the E brake. Stupid GM thinking for sure. The rear rotors look to be 1/4-1/2 larger but I didnt take a ruler or caliper to measure. Look wise it should be larger up front but my brakes stock like my Porsche and BMW now, Huge difference with the ATE Blue fluid, stainless lines and the HPS pads and rotors, WOW, you do hear some howling noise but thats normal with cross drilled rotors

Install was a joke. I did this alone on my lunch break at the house in exactly 39 minutes. I do have a shop full of tools at the house but once I jacked the car up i knocked it out quick. I think it would have went faster if i wasnt afriad to scratch ording my freshly painted calipers.

rotor torx screw just unscrews make sure youi have the right bit so you dont strup the head. If it doesnt budge get some WD40 and if that doesnt work get a small propane torch.

Ill have plenty of photos before 12noon EST so hang tight
Can you PM me the details on what it ran you to purchase all of the stuff you put on.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd - Mods: Kenne Bell 2.8, Kooks, Wortec Bi-Modal Exhaust & Big Brake Kit (12piston front), MTI Shifter, BC Racing Coilovers, CCW Thunderbolt, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Carbon Fiber and satin wrap. Thanks to Hartely Automotive for helping with this build.
6liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Stock rotors are 14" front, 14.5" rear.

To help with the rotor retaining screw (torx30), I used an impact driver.
Most motorcycle owners have one. It just has whatever bit you need inserted in one end, then you hit the other end with a hammer, it's spring loaded and each blow with the hammer, twists the screw out. This keeps you from stripping out the head of the screw.
Use a hammer handle crossways through the wheel studs to hold the rotor from turning.
Use blue loctite on threads when reassembling screws and bolts.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
THANKS!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Yea, I had my Camaro at my friends shop last summer and some eagle eye was checking the car out and said my rears were bigger than the front, lol
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
What really blows is the rear rotors are larger than the fronts, why the hell is that?
Fronts: 355.4mm OD, 31.9mm thick (30.0mm min. thickness)

Rears: 365.0mm OD, 28.0mm thick (26.0mm min. thickness)

The rears are larger in OD due to the larger than normal parking brake drum (and the fact the CTS-V rotors were used as is!). It is definitely heavier than it needs to be. The fronts are a bit thicker as they run hotter.

Of course, the rear caliper piston area is a lot less to balance the larger effective radius. There are many vehicles using this sort of setup, but most are trucks and SUV's.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
55Designs

Here are some photos for everyone. Taking my time seating the HPS pads so the rotors still need to wear in and get the plating off the surface area but so far these are great. I do wish they were larger, much larger up front.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Looks good!!!!

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
Rick2010
Chevrolet's & NY Yankees!

Drives: ALL CHEVROLET'S
Quote:
Here are some photos for everyone. Taking my time seating the HPS pads so the rotors still need to wear in and get the plating off the surface area but so far these are great. I do wish they were larger, much larger up front.
You have your rotors on backwards. They should have been stamped L or R