Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
nallen00

Drives: '09 Coby SS/TC
Send a message via Skype™ to nallen00
ModROTOR™ by NALLEN...

Representing the culmination of more than two (2) years of rigorous computer-aided design and analysis, the ModROTOR™ composite braking system is NALLEN’s most prized work-in-progress. It is dramatically lighter (up to 50%+), stronger, and more thermally efficient (up to 30%+) than any cast alloy rotor from the competition, making it, unarguably, the most forward-thinking automotive performance brake rotor architecture in the world.

The following images show the ModROTOR™ Cobalt SS/TC alpha model with optional materials/processing:

Keep your eyes peeled for updates on our website, including an in depth technical description of the system, availability, and projected pricing. Of course, I'll be posting extensive coverage of prototype production and testing, including photos and video, right here.

I'm prepared to answer any questions you may have, but you'll have to wait for a complete background until the website is updated.

Thanks,
Nathan

Last edited by nallen00; 02-23-2010 at 06:40 PM.
nallen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Looks very nice
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
nallen00

Progress!

While we're waiting on material quotes, we decided to burn some 60% scale rapid prototypes on the Z Corp. We've already cut these several times in CAM, but wanted to run our fingers over it before making a commitment:

Problem with material is I'm competing for 17-4 with the aerospace and medical industries, both of which have deep pockets. The trick is locking in a supplier at the right size and price.

The issue with the core (shown above) is minimizing mill time. The vane pockets as shown are smooth, or .001" step. Bumping this to .003" step would decrease mill time considerably. The surface would be slightly more "rough", i.e. not perfectly smooth, but this would also increase surface area by ~3-5%, which is a good thing.

At this point, the plan is get the prototypes together in time for testing at Putnam in April, followed by their formal debut at Winged Warrior in May. Watch for a complete assembly mockup in the next couple days...

Last edited by nallen00; 01-20-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Clarification...
Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Ok seems cool but possibly overkill for a street car. What is the damage $$$????
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
nallen00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
Looks very nice
Thanks! We're EXTREMELY excited to finally see this project coming together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
Ok seems cool but possibly overkill for a street car. What is the damage $$$????
We originally designed this system for motorsport, which speaks to its modular architecture. 100% configurable. Aside from the obvious advantages of being significantly lighter, stronger, and running cooler, you buy replacement discs, not complete rotors, saving you on spares.

Pricing will vary significantly depending on the disc material: 17-4, 6al-4v, or CF. The Cobalt SS/TC system shown above w/ 17-4 discs should run in the $800-900 range at volume, $1000-1200 w/ calipers. I'm speculating, of course, since we haven't locked down the initial material costs...
Old 01-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
Indpowr
Account Suspended

I think our calibers are larger than a Cobalt of TC. Could be wrong though..
Old 01-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
nallen00

I didn't mean to imply any crossover. We can use the factory calipers, or supply them.

Last edited by nallen00; 01-20-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: General edits...
Old 01-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nallen00 View Post
I didn't mean to imply any crossover. We can use the factory calipers, or supply them.

In any event, only small changes are necessary to adapt this system to virtually any application. The fact that it's 100% CNC manufactured means that we can fit new makes/models in less than a day...
Well, I was saying $$ for the size and since the calibers are larger the $$ would be more.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
Looks awesome... a blend between street and track... i would love to have 2 piece vented rotors! can these be resurfaced like standard rotors, or will they be like drilled and slotted rotors that can't be resurfaced?

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Totally modular... Interesting.

6al-4v, Titanium?

You guys are really thinking outside the box... Have you done any small scale testing?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #11
nallen00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr
Well, I was saying $$ for the size and since the calibers are larger the $$ would be more.
GM Parts Direct has the Cobalt's Brembos for ~$184, and the Camaro's for ~$84...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS
Looks awesome... a blend between street and track... i would love to have 2 piece vented rotors! can these be resurfaced like standard rotors, or will they be like drilled and slotted rotors that can't be resurfaced?
Thanks! It should be possible to turn them conventionally. Depending on the nature of the distortion, and because each disc has two (2) functional surfaces, it may be necessary to have them Blanchard ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69
Totally modular... Interesting.

6al-4v, Titanium?

You guys are really thinking outside the box... Have you done any small scale testing?
Correct. All testing at this point is "in math". Among our services is simulation and analysis featuring COMSOL Multiphysics. We've run a 1000+ simulations over two (2) years, factoring every known force, both mechanical and thermal, in various performance and motorsport environments. Our first physical test session is scheduled for April at Putnam Park...

Last edited by nallen00; 01-26-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: General edits...
Old 01-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #12
SupremacyCustoms

Drives: black 2010 2ss/rs camaro
I like keep us posted!
SupremacyCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #13
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
I've got news for you, the factory brembo rotors are 32mm thick. The minimum thickness is 30mm. There's no way we will be able to resurface our factory rotors, with only 2mm to work with, 1mm on each side.

Racing Brake already has 2 pc rotors for the Camaro SS. I put them on my car 2 weeks ago. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59008

http://www.racingbrake.com/CAMARO_SS...138-381-01.htm
Old 01-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #14
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Manually subscribed.

I'll be watching.