Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
runich

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (Red Jewel)
Need help with stereo system...

So I've had this idea to put my entire music collection on a portable hard drive and use this to access my music once I got the Camaro. Well, I have the car now and when trying to hook up my hard drive it says that "no supported data was found" Has anyone here done this and know the secrets?

Thanks guys!
runich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
tightchevelle69
Derrick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
there are other threads that talk about this, but i dont believe anybody has had any luck with this yet. the problem is that the memory in the car will only read the first 2500 songs on any device except the ipod. the only reason the ipod works is because it manages the music itself were as a thumb drive (or in your case hard drive)only stores the music and the radio has to do the rest of the work.

2010 ABM 2SS/RS, A6, home Dec 10th, wifes birthday present!
2007 GMC Yukon XL, 2000 S10 Xtreme, 1969 Chevelle
tightchevelle69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by runich View Post
So I've had this idea to put my entire music collection on a portable hard drive and use this to access my music once I got the Camaro. Well, I have the car now and when trying to hook up my hard drive it says that "no supported data was found" Has anyone here done this and know the secrets?

Thanks guys!
Unfortunately portable hard drives are not supported by the software in the Camaro. This was tried and looked into back in april and may last year when the car first came out.

And as already mentioned only the first 2,500 songs will be read even if it was which you can fit on a 16 gig thumb drive that you can buy for $20-$25. To have access to your complete collection, you will have to buy an iPod.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
tightchevelle69
Derrick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
or you could get a netbook and connect it with bluetooth or headphone wire adapter to the car. connect your portable hard drive to the netbook and use whatever music software you want to manage the music!

2010 ABM 2SS/RS, A6, home Dec 10th, wifes birthday present!
2007 GMC Yukon XL, 2000 S10 Xtreme, 1969 Chevelle
tightchevelle69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
IndyDave

Drives: '10 Camaro 2LT RS
16GB Nano (4,000 songs per Apple) $179, & you can probably find one cheaper. Then you can control everything from the stereo head unit....Just my opinion
IndyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
I have all my tunes on my Windows Mobile phone on a uSDHC card. Playing via a cable now, but hope to have the PDIM installed tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
runich

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (Red Jewel)
Thanks for the replies all!

I toyed with it a little more tonight and was able to get a flash drive working on it. My guess with the hard drive is that the usb outlet in the car may not push enough power to power the hard drive and access the songs....or it just could be that I have so much on the drive that it is overloaded. I got a smaller flash drive to work just fine but I sadly couldn't get it to recognize folders.

I do have a netbook and think I may use that when we are travelling. I'll probably just use this and maybe a couple other flash drives to access day to day music with. My wife does have an 80 gb ipod. It's not enough to tackle our entire music collection (120 gb) but I think I may try that out tomorrow and just refresh it with the stuff we like most.

I was able to pair my iphone to the stereo (via the bluetooth) and stream music through pandora too....that will work nicely as well. I plan to do alot of research on all this and continue to try to get it all working as needed so if anyone else has anyone questions and wants to post it here I may be able to help on it in the future when I've done some homework about all this stuff. This was the first night that I've really had the car so I'm still sort of a noob at the moment.
runich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
You can get a refurbished ipod classic 120gb for $189 black or silver on apple.com they have smaller ipods at a discount also.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
pleigh

Drives: 2010 CGM 1LT A6
iPod.. much better song/play list management... I'm using a 2nd gen and it works just fine..

NO, the Rev limiter is not set to 118MPH... and YES, driving in this manner does affect MPG...
pleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
ElManny

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS COTW 7/5/2010
Send a message via AIM to ElManny
Quote:
Originally Posted by runich View Post
Thanks for the replies all!

I toyed with it a little more tonight and was able to get a flash drive working on it. My guess with the hard drive is that the usb outlet in the car may not push enough power to power the hard drive and access the songs....or it just could be that I have so much on the drive that it is overloaded. I got a smaller flash drive to work just fine but I sadly couldn't get it to recognize folders.

I do have a netbook and think I may use that when we are travelling. I'll probably just use this and maybe a couple other flash drives to access day to day music with. My wife does have an 80 gb ipod. It's not enough to tackle our entire music collection (120 gb) but I think I may try that out tomorrow and just refresh it with the stuff we like most.

I was able to pair my iphone to the stereo (via the bluetooth) and stream music through pandora too....that will work nicely as well. I plan to do alot of research on all this and continue to try to get it all working as needed so if anyone else has anyone questions and wants to post it here I may be able to help on it in the future when I've done some homework about all this stuff. This was the first night that I've really had the car so I'm still sort of a noob at the moment.
they do have a 160 gb ipod classic around 249. thats 40,000 songs
ElManny is offline   Reply With Quote