Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 03-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
I received an email from onstar, $45.09/month

Watch out for this one guys, my onstar subscription runs out on May 11th. They plan on charging my credit card $45.09 a month.
I called them and told them I do not plan on renewing it. And that I only drive the car for 1/2 the year, and it would only be necessary if I locked the key in the car.
He said he could drop the price to $16/month
He tried to sell me more minutes for the car phone. I told him the car had bluetooth, and my cell calls come through the car already, and I don't need another phone.

Watch out guys, they were planning on charging the card that I gave them when I registered the car originally.

I am probably one of the first owners to get this email, because I was one of the first customers to take delivery of my car last year.
stratman2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Husker

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM LS3
The email I received on 3/17 says I will be charged $28.90 for continous coverage. My original subscription is set to expire on May 6. I think them can keep it since the car only have 1042 miles on it in nearly a year.
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
thegmconnection.com
thegmconnection.com

Drives: YOURS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
Watch out for this one guys, my onstar subscription runs out on May 11th. They plan on charging my credit card $45.09 a month.
I called them and told them I do not plan on renewing it. And that I only drive the car for 1/2 the year, and it would only be necessary if I locked the key in the car.
He said he could drop the price to $16/month
He tried to sell me more minutes for the car phone. I told him the car had bluetooth, and my cell calls come through the car already, and I don't need another phone.

Watch out guys, they were planning on charging the card that I gave them when I registered the car originally.

I am probably one of the first owners to get this email, because I was one of the first customers to take delivery of my car last year.
You have to let them know thirty days in advance so they will not charge your credit card! If you told them not to charge your card when they called that should suffice because they are suppose to contact you 30 days in advance
thegmconnection.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
stratman2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker View Post
The email I received on 3/17 says I will be charged $28.90 for continous coverage. My original subscription is set to expire on May 6. I think them can keep it since the car only have 1042 miles on it in nearly a year.
You live in the USA right?
Our dollar is almost at par right now $45.09 seems alot.

If you say you don't want it, you can get it alot cheaper.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
You don't have to give them your credit card at any time. I know they ask you for it, but you don't have to give it to them until you are ready to renew.
They tell you they need it for registration purposes or something like that.
No, you don't have to give it to them until you want to.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
I made the mistake of "setting things up" when I got my car last summer. Stupidly, I added more minutes to the phone in the car.......WHICH I HAVEN'T USED ONCE........Seemed cool when I first got the car to have a built in phone, but wasted money by not using it.

So they have my CC#.......guess I'll have to deal with it in a couple months, I would not renew the OnStar....haven't used that once, or the navigation either.
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
I seem to recall that I selected an option last year on initial set-up to not automatically renew. But either way I don't remember giving my credit card info. I seldom do that...

Strat - what's your VIN? Mine was pretty early - I thought at the time I was the first or one of the first on here from Ontario that took delivery. No email here yet.... I did get a letter trying to sell me a package though

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
sask-man
Sask-man from Sask

Drives: 2010 1SSRS M6 Black of course!
I believe there is a consumer protection act that companies are NOT allowed to auto bill you on your credit card UNLESS you agree'd to continuing service after the "trial period" or whatever has ran it's course as per the origional agreement. It's always on there in all those pages of fine print no one reads.

The whole idea of its up to YOU to cancel or we will bill you is total BS on any companies part to pull this. They are relying on snagging atleast 1 payment from unsuspecting customers who either didnt know about it or forgot and now have to go through the process to be removed from auto billing. Best to say you dont have a CC or scour that agreement and for once actually read ALL the fine print!
sask-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
Sweet Lola
#42,288

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Sweet Lola
The internal phone saved my butt! I locked myself out of my office on a Sunday evening with both my home and work phones inside on my desk. I only had my car key and my car's cell. I was able to call and get someone to come let me into the office. If I hadn't I would have had to drive around town to find someone to open the door. Two important lessons learned...always hook my work keys to my car keys when changing vehicles and keep the internal phone just in case.

Darren
Sweet Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
BLACK67

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to BLACK67
I got that e-mail a few days ago. If it was a reasonable amount I would keep it but that $45 a month is a joke.
Dynatech LT headers, Hi flow Cats
MBRP 3" 304 stainless X-pipe exhaust
Fastlane true CAI.
Barton shifter
BLACK67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
I bet they charge you in the months you're not driving it too.... would be good if you could cancel for a period... or transfer to another vehicle

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
stratman2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro View Post
Strat - what's your VIN? Mine was pretty early - I thought at the time I was the first or one of the first on here from Ontario that took delivery. No email here yet.... I did get a letter trying to sell me a package though
I brought my car home on May 12th, 2009. Vin#8105
What is your vin, I thought I was first??
My wife put a deposit down on it for Christmas 2006!!!

When I was talking to the onstar guy, he asked me if there was anything else he could do to keep me safe while driving my car? Trying to make me feel guilty.
I told him he could send me a helmet.
He did't think it was too funny???
Old 03-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
Don O
Camaro and Vettehead

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM L99 69 427/400 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
When I was talking to the onstar guy, he asked me if there was anything else he could do to keep me safe while driving my car? Trying to make me feel guilty.
Mine's not up until October, but if asked that question I"m gonna ask:

"You can track all the nearby Onstar customers, correct? OK, then please disable their vehicles until I'm clear of the area." Thanks".

Probably won't think that's funny either...

Now the XM folks, they're a whole other story. I'm getting 2 calls a week since it expired. I just hang up on them. That don't take no for an answer.

Don O

Don O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
Kenny

Drives: 2010 SS RS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK67 View Post
I got that e-mail a few days ago. If it was a reasonable amount I would keep it but that $45 a month is a joke.

If it was about 20 bucks a month and i could have a 6 month term then i would renew.......45 no thanks.

Ken