Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
rusty rotors

My rotors and calipers are spotless, but I met another camaro owner at a small camaro meet in Illinios that uses his camaro as a daily driver and drove it in the winter. His rotors are rusting and his calipers look aged. He has just excelerated the damage to his, but eventually mine will look like these, but will just take me longer. My question is: Is there anything I can do to prevent this other than keeping the salt off them like coating them with a small amount of oil (not on the braking surface)?
first one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by first one View Post
My rotors and calipers are spotless, but I met another camaro owner at a small camaro meet in Illinios that uses his camaro as a daily driver and drove it in the winter. His rotors are rusting and his calipers look aged. He has just excelerated the damage to his, but eventually mine will look like these, but will just take me longer. My question is: Is there anything I can do to prevent this other than keeping the salt off them like coating them with a small amount of oil (not on the braking surface)?
Its mostly about keeping them clean and well protected.

For the rotors, the brake pad surface of the rotor will always be clean, due to the fact that its in constant contact with the pads. The center hub and outer rotor vanes are where the rust happens. To prevent this, you'll want to get a can of Duplicolor black high-temp ceramic caliper paint. Clean the rotors well with brake clean, and then paint the hubs and outer edge of the rotor. Don't worry if there is any overspray on the brake pad surface, the pads will wipe it away as soon as you drive the car.

For the calipers, they are more difficult to protect because instead of being powdercoated like the CTS-V or G8 GXP calipers, they are a rough cast iron like finish (same as the 08+ Cobalt SS). You could try to wax them with regular car wax to protect the finish, but I'm not sure how much that would help. The best remedy is probably just to keep them as clean as possible, and to not allow brake dust to eat into or dull the finish. I wouldn't put any type of oil anywhere near the brake system, if it gets on the brake pads/rotor surface, it will make the brakes grabby and cause some nasty noises as well.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
arod55
AROD55

Drives: 1955 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop
Rotor's, I noticed when I wash my car and wheel the rotor' show rust but once I drive it and use the brakes the rust is gone. I beleive it's just a fine film when they get wet.
arod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod55 View Post
Rotor's, I noticed when I wash my car and wheel the rotor' show rust but once I drive it and use the brakes the rust is gone. I beleive it's just a fine film when they get wet.
Yes, you're right. I see that rust too, but it is on the braking surface and is gone the first time you brake. What I was talking about is rust around the edges and the middle and doesn't come off. Looks very bad because the are so visible through the rims. Wish I would have gotten pictures.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
first one

The rotors on the car I mentioned don't look that great because they were subjected to winter conditions, but even our pleasure vehicles are going to eventually look like these in a couple of years. I just trying to find out what some of your ideas are. It just seems there should be more interest than this.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
Wesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by first one View Post
The rotors on the car I mentioned don't look that great because they were subjected to winter conditions, but even our pleasure vehicles are going to eventually look like these in a couple of years. I just trying to find out what some of your ideas are. It just seems there should be more interest than this.
High temp ceramic paint is about the best you are going to do. It does work very well though, especially considering how inexpensive it is.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
first one

Thank you wesman for your suggestions.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
King Mouse

Drives: EXT
Rotors rust like crazy unless they are stainless.
King Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
Wesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Mouse View Post
Rotors rust like crazy unless they are stainless.
And who makes stainless rotors??
Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #10
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
I think stainless would be too soft for rotors
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
Wesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by third1 View Post
I think stainless would be too soft for rotors
Exactly, never heard of stainless steel rotors, period.