Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
jay11

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
kenne bell????/

is kenne bell 2.8 the way to go for my LS3 A6?????
jay11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
cfcoates

Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM 2SS/RS
yes

Kenne Bell 2.8 Polished & Black - Coolingmist Methanol Injection
Stillen Front Splitter - Havoc Side Skirts & Rear Diffuser
ICONZ Wheels & Nitto NT-05's - PFADT Springs
cfcoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
CaliEMT
Decepticons. . . MOBILIZE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
Whats the Difference to a TVS2300?
CaliEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
I don't know but it is for sure it is on my short list of chargers for my LS3!
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay11 View Post
is kenne bell 2.8 the way to go for my LS3 A6?????
You did the LS3 conversion? That's pretty awesome.

I have the K/B on my L99 and I love it. Great power and great drivability. Not to mention how good it looks.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
AntzV

Drives: blacked out 2010 Camaro
W
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
You did the LS3 conversion? That's pretty awesome.

I have the K/B on my L99 and I love it. Great power and great drivability. Not to mention how good it looks.
how do you do the LS3 conversion??
AntzV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
SonnyakaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntzV View Post
W

how do you do the LS3 conversion??
Well, first I'm not exactly sure TS's car is an LS3 conversion, but I'm assuming it is because he said he has a LS3 A6.

I don't build engines but from what I understand, the main differences between the LS3 and the L99 are the different camshafts, the fact that the L99 has variable valve timing, and the L99 has special lifters to function with the AFM or DOD.

Also, I think the L99 has a slightly lower compression ratio, so in order for an L99 to become a true LS3, you may have to change the pistons, rings and rods. Most people that have done the conversions end up changing the pistons, rings and rods because they are installing forged internals so that the engine can better withstand higher hp/tq applications.

Basically, install the LS3 cam or some other non-L99 cam, which would get rid of the L99's cam and cam phaser restrictor, swap the lifters for LS3 lifters, tune out AFM (and actually re-tune most parameters), and if you wanted to bump compression up a bit, install the LS3 pistons, rings, and rods. But at that point, might as well install forged internals and lower the compression ratio while you're at it.

I'm not an expert, just passing on some info that I've picked up on this site. I'm sure others that are more in the know can correct any mistakes I made.

Hope this helps. And I didn't intend to hijack this thread, I just initially thought it was cool that TS had an LS3 A6.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
orange10s.c.

Drives: IOM 2SS RS M6 sunroof
I would say HELL YEAH !!!
orange10s.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
MARZ

Drives: 2010 BMW 335d
I'd say either one of the big twin screws are excellent choices. As much as both love to talk about the superiority of their respective compressors, both Whipple and Kenne Bell have been around for years making GOBS of kickass power! You aren't going to go wrong either way.

Oh, by the way, have you seen some of the numbers the Magnacharger and Edelbrock TVS superchargers have been putting down?
MARZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Magnacharger and Edlebrock are smaller blowers than KB and Whipple so their numbers are going to be lower. All are great products and in my opinion all perform very well.

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
Well, first I'm not exactly sure TS's car is an LS3 conversion, but I'm assuming it is because he said he has a LS3 A6.

I don't build engines but from what I understand, the main differences between the LS3 and the L99 are the different camshafts, the fact that the L99 has variable valve timing, and the L99 has special lifters to function with the AFM or DOD.

Also, I think the L99 has a slightly lower compression ratio, so in order for an L99 to become a true LS3, you may have to change the pistons, rings and rods. Most people that have done the conversions end up changing the pistons, rings and rods because they are installing forged internals so that the engine can better withstand higher hp/tq applications.

Basically, install the LS3 cam or some other non-L99 cam, which would get rid of the L99's cam and cam phaser restrictor, swap the lifters for LS3 lifters, tune out AFM (and actually re-tune most parameters), and if you wanted to bump compression up a bit, install the LS3 pistons, rings, and rods. But at that point, might as well install forged internals and lower the compression ratio while you're at it.

I'm not an expert, just passing on some info that I've picked up on this site. I'm sure others that are more in the know can correct any mistakes I made.

Hope this helps. And I didn't intend to hijack this thread, I just initially thought it was cool that TS had an LS3 A6.
I believe MAST Motorsports (among others, but I'm not as familiar with them) is pretty much at the forefront of the VVT technology and has the know-how to get your squared away on an L99. Before doing a conversion, I'd recommend talking with them, or anyone else knowledgeable, because there's a great article in this months GMHTP where they KEEP the VVT and make HUGE power with their grinds and mid-level CNC'd heads.

JMVHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARZ View Post
I'd say either one of the big twin screws are excellent choices. As much as both love to talk about the superiority of their respective compressors, both Whipple and Kenne Bell have been around for years making GOBS of kickass power! You aren't going to go wrong either way.

Oh, by the way, have you seen some of the numbers the Magnacharger and Edelbrock TVS superchargers have been putting down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aSSee D View Post
Magnacharger and Edlebrock are smaller blowers than KB and Whipple so their numbers are going to be lower. All are great products and in my opinion all perform very well.
If you keep the boost below 12 psi, I believe you aren't really going to see much of a huge difference, if any. Some of the results coming on-line from the newest SCs are VERY impressive, but I want to compare apples-to-apples before I totally commit to an advantage either way.
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
SonnyakaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I believe MAST Motorsports (among others, but I'm not as familiar with them) is pretty much at the forefront of the VVT technology and has the know-how to get your squared away on an L99. Before doing a conversion, I'd recommend talking with them, or anyone else knowledgeable, because there's a great article in this months GMHTP where they KEEP the VVT and make HUGE power with their grinds and mid-level CNC'd heads.

JMVHO.
I haven't seen any L99 cars in person that have kept the VVT with the Mast kits, but I've seen their ads and talked to them on the phone. I'm sure Mast makes some great kits and the power gains seem very good. Nothing wrong with working within the L99's intended design and making more power while you're at it.