Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
vm1971

Drives: 2017 SS
GMPP Shorty Headers - 92213295

Ok, forgive me if i was search-lazy... i did search, but didnt see a lot of current threads for my question.

i like keeping things 100% GM, i just do.
SO-
anyone here have the GMPP Shorty Headers on their car?
If so,
comments? thoughts? pics?
the next thing is the intake and headers, and again... (just deal with it! haha) i love keeping it ALL GM.

thanks in advance!!

V
Old 05-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm1971 View Post
Ok, forgive me if i was search-lazy... i did search, but didnt see a lot of current threads for my question.

i like keeping things 100% GM, i just do.
SO-
anyone here have the GMPP Shorty Headers on their car?
If so,
comments? thoughts? pics?
the next thing is the intake and headers, and again... (just deal with it! haha) i love keeping it ALL GM.

thanks in advance!!

V
You're aware that GM doesn't make those parts, right? Even GM doesn't keep it all GM. Don't get me wrong, their fine parts, I even sell GMPP. You're not alone, however. I meet people from time to time that feel the same way. I'm curious why, I guess because I don't get it. But I always say, personalizing your car is personal, so do it like you want it!

My general thoughts on shorty headers is "why do it?", when you can go with long tube headers and get a lot more oomph. For my money, there's not enough gain to justify the cost for most shorty header applications.

The intake will likely give you some improvement since it removes the sound baffles, but I don't know if it will perform as well as some other intakes that are available. It does looks good, like it was OEM.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
vm1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
You're aware that GM doesn't make those parts, right? Even GM doesn't keep it all GM. Don't get me wrong, their fine parts, I even sell GMPP. You're not alone, however. I meet people from time to time that feel the same way. I'm curious why, I guess because I don't get it. But I always say, personalizing your car is personal, so do it like you want it!

My general thoughts on shorty headers is "why do it?", when you can go with long tube headers and get a lot more oomph. For my money, there's not enough gain to justify the cost for most shorty header applications.

The intake will likely give you some improvement since it removes the sound baffles, but it probably won't perform as well as some other intakes that are available. But it does looks good.
nice info!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
GM doesn't technically "make" any of their parts. Even OEM. In fact, somewhere in Korea right now, there's someone hammering out some genuine, factory Camaro fender emblems and bowties as we speak.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
vm1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
GM doesn't technically "make" any of their parts. Even OEM. In fact, somewhere in Korea right now, there's someone hammering out some genuine, factory Camaro fender emblems and bowties as we speak.
true...
of course.. i still like the look and stuff of the GMPP stuff in the GM car.
i know that my exhaust upgrade is also the same deal...
but ive got pals that can really help $ wise for the GM stuff.
so, i was curious as to who ON here has the shorty headers and hear what they have to say.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
I would do a search for 'shorty headers' in this forum. The consensus is that you get no gains from them and can lose HP/Torque.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
vm1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
I would do a search for 'shorty headers' in this forum. The consensus is that you get no gains from them and can lose HP/Torque.
....good, good info.
thanks!!!!! have a great holiday weekend, also. to all!
Old 05-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
Keeping your car all GM is for people who are inclined to want to keep it stock but at the same time want some personalization. GMPP mods are fully factory backed and warrantied... so no worries there... and even if they don't increase performance they look cool and set your car apart. Also, people who tend toward this line of thinking are also the kind of people who are going to keep their cars mint so they are all probably going to be around in 20 or so years when they start to get valuable... at which point the GMPP parts will be rare.

Not for everybody to be sure, but I think that's the mindset.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
In 20 years these cars will not be rare. Maybe in 40. However, a stock unmolested car will be worth more than a modified one.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I believe Borla was making the shorties for GMPP but GMPP made a statement (or someone from over there did) that the shorties didn't make production because there was little benefit from them. It's funny, because I thought I remembered an actual statement from them also saying their CAI was more for looks than performance, but that's not the topic. Anyways, like I said - Borla was making the shorties for GM (just like they do for the CBs and ABs) so you can rest assured if you want quality parts, Borla is a good choice; if they are good enough for GM, they are probably trustworthy. I've used a couple Borla CBs and mufflers in the past, and the one problem I had was resolved the same day of my initial call and I got my replacement two days later.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm pushing Borla - I'm just pointing out their connection with GMPP, with regard to your post
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:58 AM   #11
rally yellow ss rs

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS RS
So, if we go with Borla- no added GM fees...but a voided warranty. Go GMPP, same as Borla, just paying extra fees to keep your warranty. Pretty cut and dry.
rally yellow ss rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:32 AM   #12
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
An exhaust should not void your warranty, no matter who you buy it from.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #13
rally yellow ss rs

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS RS
They told me at the dealership that it would because the back pressure and the sensors would be off.
rally yellow ss rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #14
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rally yellow ss rs View Post
They told me at the dealership that it would because the back pressure and the sensors would be off.

Most every Short Tube on the market retains the factory location AND Cats.

Unless you manipulate or modify these, you aren't breaking any laws or warranty.

Now a dealer who "voids" your warranty can only technically void the parts that are replaced.

Of course, this is how it is SUPPOSED to work but there are always flies in the ointment.

Best of luck and we're all here to help.

Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote