Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 05-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Faisal

Drives: 2006 Chevy Malibu LS
Rates on the Camaro?

Will be moving soon to Ontario, Canada and was wondering How the rates are on The Camaro.

How much is Insuraces and the car payments?

Thanks
-Faisal
Faisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Its not the rates its the price of them there 10k more up here. Buy one down there imo and bring it up.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Everest

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 Rally Yellow Sun Roof

YES buy it there and bring it over.
Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Faisal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post

YES buy it there and bring it over.

But won't they still tax me at the border, also how about the whole KM thing?
Old 05-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Everest

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 Rally Yellow Sun Roof
Yes they will tax you at the border. Buy a used one down there with no tax. Say 2SS/Rs for like $33,000 - $35,000. then bring it across and pay GST/PST or HST what ever applies.

FYI
here in Canada a fully loaded 2SS/RS runs about $50,000 all in.

Edit:
You can change the speedometer to KM it's not a problem. The only issue with the car will be Daytime Running Lights (DRL) In the States there is the option of turning them off, here in Canada it's a no/no. DRL's must always be on there can be no on/off feature. You can bring your car to a dealership and they can run a computer flash to change that. Costs about $150.

My advice to you is do your home work. If you do it all right, just as Thrillz wrote, you can save up to $10,000.

Insurance:

That depends on a V6 vs. V8 and if it is your daily driver or not. Also depends on your past driving history of course. My Camaro is not my daily driver and I pay $900 a year to insure it.
Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
highmark
Burnin out!

Drives: Sick SS
While your at it do all the upgrades u need and say it came with the car, you will save alot there too.
highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
sstphoenix

Drives: Black 2LT RS 5th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal View Post
Will be moving soon to Ontario, Canada and was wondering How the rates are on The Camaro.

Thanks
-Faisal
best thing i can say is:
buy the car before crossing the border... us price for car is mch cheaper even if our dollar aint so different..even if were making the car IN canada... n the shipping of the car is cheaper too. go figure.

n so long as you dont live in toronto... your insurance should be decent.

n a tip when you do move. ontario has a rule where if you go 50 (i think its 50) over the speed limit, they will crush your brand new car, no question about it.
sstphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
Faisal

Thanks, Also if I bring My cars that I Currently own(a 2006 Malibu) will they tax me on that too?
Old 05-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
CDN SS
Steve from Canada.

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS with Inferno package.
I'm no expert but you shouldn't have to pay tax on anything that you own and bring into the country. Where in Ontario are you moving to?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
Faisal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian GP View Post
I'm no expert but you shouldn't have to pay tax on anything that you own and bring into the country. Where in Ontario are you moving to?

Im moving into Richmond Hill and Finding a home for rent is a pain. How's the gas prices currently?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
Mike Jung

Drives: '14 CRT Camaro SS Coupe
Quote:

Thanks
-Faisal
Car insurance rates are "crazy" in Ontario; especially in "Toronto".

The car insurance industry in Ontario has been losing money lately with personal injury claims.

I just paid to renew for my car insurance coverage in June for the year at $2171 Cdn ($180.92/month).
36 years old single male with clean driving record.
As a daily driver to work (16 km away / 9.9 miles).
Maximum mileage per year group: up to 26K km / 16.1K miles.

A Chevy Camaro SS would be more.
As they consider my large 4-door sedan as safe.
It got 5-stars crash rating in Australia (it wasn't crash tested in the US).
Someone on the G8 Board that works in the car insurance industry said it was rated for premiums in the same class as a new Chevy Malibu or Toyota Camry.
It seems they forgot about the small block V8 that is under my hood
& said if you got a Camaro, Corvette, etc...that is 2-door: It would be more for insurance as it is a 2-door "sport's" car.

But if I were to live 10 minutes away over the Toronto border into Mississauga: My car insurance could drop like $500 per year.
(My buddy moved to the other side & had that happen. But then decided he wanted to move back into this area, & his car insurance jumped back up $500 per year.)

Quote:
...How's the gas prices currently?
Today's gasoline pricing:

87-octane gasoline = $0.969 Cdn/L is about $3.59 US per US Gallon
91-octane gasoline = $1.109 Cdn/L is about $4.10 US per US Gallon

(Yes, we get ripped off when buying premium gasoline up here !)

Former G8 owner :(

RIP Sunday, Oct 6, '13
1 of 3,681 in Panther Black Metallic '09 Pontiac G8 GT (with L76 6.0L small block V8 engine & a 6L80 tranny)
1 of 970 '09 Pontiac G8 GT's in the country (Canada)

Last edited by Mike Jung; 05-31-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Mike Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
Mike Jung

Drives: '14 CRT Camaro SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstphoenix View Post
...n a tip when you do move. ontario has a rule where if you go 50 (i think its 50) over the speed limit, they will crush your brand new car, no question about it.
50 km/h (31 mph) over the speed limit:
=
- impound your car for 7-days (& you get to pay for the tow & storage fees)
- lose your driver's licence for 7-days
- get a court date for the charges
- & get a fine from $2K to $10K

Former G8 owner :(

RIP Sunday, Oct 6, '13
1 of 3,681 in Panther Black Metallic '09 Pontiac G8 GT (with L76 6.0L small block V8 engine & a 6L80 tranny)
1 of 970 '09 Pontiac G8 GT's in the country (Canada)
Mike Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
luckynuts

Drives: 10 ABM 1SS/00 Z28 Conv/14 SumWh 2LT
Quote:
Im moving into Richmond Hill and Finding a home for rent is a pain. How's the gas prices currently?
Exactly.............if you already own the Camaro you won't have to pay any taxes on it. My insurance runs around $900. a friend of mine just brought up a 2ss from the US and saved $10k.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #14
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
I am a US citizen (US expat) now living six years in Ottawa Ontario. During that time I imported two US cars to Ontario. So here are my observations.
First, if you are a US national, importing a car you have owned for 3 years, you should not be charged Canada taxes, you will have to pay an import fee of about $200. If not owned for 3 years, you will pay Candian taxes based on 'Red Book' value. Second, you do not automatically have to pay to have your dash gauges changed to KM versus miles. Most autos, since the mid 90s, have a dash cluster showing both miles per hour, Km per hour. If your dash cluster shows both (my 1996
Sebring LXI & 1998 Riviera showed both) you should not have to go through expense of changing. Only exception, if you buy a new US auto, export to Canada, you might have to have the US dealer make the changes which could be expensive. Follow Canadian governement auto import instructions. Might be considered a joke, but last stage in importing a US auto is take it to Canadian Tire, NOT the auto dealer!!! Can not stress this enough. Canada auto dealers might tell you that you have to change the auto cluster to KM, not true. Canada requires to you have a child safty backseat bracket. Canadian Tire, will sell this bracket to you for under $10, Canada government says it must be in the car, not installed on the car. My brackets are still in bubble wrap in the trunk!
Importing a new Camaro. GM Canada, WILL NOT, honour the warrenty for a Camaro bought new in the US and imported to Canada unless you have owned the car for 6 months plus driven about 8,000 Km (info I received direct from GM Canada). GM US will respect new car warrenty regardless if you buy in US or Canada. Ford US & Ford Canada fully respect new car warrenty regardless if you buy in US or Canada.
I just preordered a new 2011 Camaro in Ontario. I spent 3 months pricing in Canada and the US. Yes, for identical model, adjusted price based on US dollar & Candian dollar, paying more than $4,000 additional MSRP to buy in Canada. It is not the Canadian dealers are charging more, it is GM Canada charging dealers more. Sucks..a car made in Canada sells for less in the US, but it is GM Canada sticking it to dealers, and the dealers must pass on the inflated price to their Canadian consumers. I assure you Canadian dealers are not happy.
Contact me directly if you want my personal input regarding importing to Canada.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote