Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Not sure whats goning on.

2 weeks ago I washed my car and covered it with a camaro car cover. I get back into town 6 days later and my car has water spots and such from rain. I washed the car yesterday and then went over it with meguiar's detail spray and a clean microfiber towel. This morning I come out and it looks like my car is covered in a fine oily sheen that had streaks going in the directions that I wiped the car. I tried to hit it with the detail spray and it stayed on.

Will another wash remove this? I think if I need to rewax the detail spray becomes harder to take off, but I waxed last month. Should I do a dawn wash, clay, and rewax? The car is clean but it looks greasy/hazy.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
I have used Maguire's products quite a bit but do not like their detail spray. Had similar results as you are. I think you might want to try a different one. Currently I am using Auto Glym and have excelent results and my car is black.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
JrsCustoms

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
does the car stay outside under the cover
Old 06-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
2 weeks ago I washed my car and covered it with a camaro car cover. I get back into town 6 days later and my car has water spots and such from rain. I washed the car yesterday and then went over it with meguiar's detail spray and a clean microfiber towel. This morning I come out and it looks like my car is covered in a fine oily sheen that had streaks going in the directions that I wiped the car. I tried to hit it with the detail spray and it stayed on.

Will another wash remove this? I think if I need to rewax the detail spray becomes harder to take off, but I waxed last month. Should I do a dawn wash, clay, and rewax? The car is clean but it looks greasy/hazy.
My initial guess is either; A.) You didn't "shake well" before using. Or, B.) You may have used too much product.

It's easily corrected by washing the car.

There have been an occassion or two where I've used a little too much detailing spray (I use Zaino) and I've been able to remove any streaks with the application of a little more spray or by washing the car.

There's no reason to have to wash with 'Dawn' or reclay the car. A bath will most likely do the job.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
longgun
Drummer

Drives: Black Camaro
I've had the same issues with meguiar's detailing spray. I have a black camaro and it definitely shows up. Lately, I have been using the "ice" detail spray and having no issues
longgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
3min3m2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SIM L-99
On my blue one this happens with Turtle Wax Ice liquid polish. I'm thinking its just the way they relate to the paint, as it never happened on my other car. That or maybe some kind of factory/dealer wax or sealant not cooperating.

Borla S type, Volant CAI.
3min3m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

I use the Meguiar's Quik Detail spray all the time and have never had this happen. I think you're right moose - by the time I was done detailing the car my towel was soaked with detail spray... I just washed all my towels this morning to get rid of any residual grease/detail spray just in case. I'll wash her this weekend.

@JrsCustoms: No I only covered it that once because I was going out of town for a week and don't have a garage.

Thanks all
Old 06-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Gloss enhancers build up and can lead to issues... this is one of the reasons we came out with waterless wash. People who rarely washed their cars, kept them covered, and just wiped them down with detail spray all the time started to have clouding, smearing, and other issues.

How often (if at all) have you been washing your car versus wiping down with quick detailer?
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
DetailAddict

Drives: .
try this next time... spray on the MF and rub it in a bit using the MF itself then wipe the car down...
DetailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Gloss enhancers build up and can lead to issues... this is one of the reasons we came out with waterless wash. People who rarely washed their cars, kept them covered, and just wiped them down with detail spray all the time started to have clouding, smearing, and other issues.

How often (if at all) have you been washing your car versus wiping down with quick detailer?
I wash the car every weekend and use detail spray maybe 1-2 times a week.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Your probably using too much. That along with hot and HUMID weather will make for a mess. Just wash normally and use much less detail spray. I use Zaino, specifically, Z6 and let me tell you. A little goes a long way, expecially in very humid weather.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote