Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #15
bprange

Drives: '94 Red/Black Z/28
Cruising in our family's '67 Firebird with all(four) windows down is so much fun. I agree that I would probably look just fine but the long window makes the car so much more open and the rear seat visibility is actually quite nice with all of the windows down.
bprange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #16
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
It doesn't make any sense...

...to have the windows stay up.

Look at the lines of the car, leaving those windows up just ruins the lines, it doesn't make ANY sense to have them fixed. That's not to say that GM wouldn't leave them fixed, but it would be pretty dumb.

Yes this car will struggle with weight, that's just the way it is... but to leave out window mechanisms (especially small ones) doesn't make much sense to me. The car looks AWESOME with the windows down, and that's the way it should be (according to me).

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Well, they've done it before - I think. The Chevelle pic

And this was the distinct memory i had mentioned earlier. The windows on the concept DO roll down (or get removed)
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2007, 09:44 PM   #18
cannondalerider
LSWEE

Drives: CGM LS3 2SS/RS
Concept With Windows Down (One Up)

Very nice! How much?
cannondalerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:00 AM   #19
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Ok. I take back what I said about not at all liking the pic of the back window up. I does not look bad. BUT... I agree about it not helping the lines. The coupe was shown with windows down.

One of the reasons I had heard why GM might make the rear window fixed is because they had a lot of wear on the rubber material at the edge of the window from regular up and down usage. I was told they wanted it to roll down, but couldn't figure out how to prevent the damage to the rubber material. I'm sure w/ a few guys putting their brains together, they could figure it out. And, weight is not increased that much by adding either a motor or handle and the window track. This Camaro is MUCH more appealing w/ the complete open sides.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #20
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
Didn't mean to start anything, I was just curious. I personally would like to see them down. We have the means. We have the technology. I see the mercedez CLK and the CL and it look great as a true coupe.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Robinson View Post
Didn't mean to start anything, I was just curious. I personally would like to see them down. We have the means. We have the technology. I see the mercedez CLK and the CL and it look great as a true coupe.
Either way, it's a true coupe. It's just a difference in presentation
Old 05-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #22
cantseeme
fireman

Drives: 2002 monte carlo SS
i highly doubt that happening not enough room more price value and weight difficulties
Old 05-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #23
Bart

Drives: 1997 Trans Am
I want a true coupe, and to me that means they need to roll down. And lets say they are fixed. What in the world are they going to do with the convertible? Will the rear seat passengers have no window at all? Given the lines of this car, I think the convertible needs to have the rear windows as well, and if thats the case, they have to go down. I think a closer inspection of the convertible might help in answering this question.
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #24
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Anyone think about the B pillar when it comes to crash tests and ratings? In order to have a 5 star crash rating, it has to be built right from the beginning. GM doesn't want to have to have that pillar either, but if it means getting less than a 5 star crash rating, many insurance companies won't insure the Camaro. Yes, unfortunately weight plays an issue as well. Apparently, Dodge is dealing with these very issues right now.

And check this out..... "There IS a way to have a B-pillar that isn't recognizable from the outside of the car." ... notice the quotes...
Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #25
c00l usmc

Drives: 1999 Camaro, 1985 Z28 Camaro
I hope the rear windows roll down, that would suck for the guy sitting in the back.
c00l usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #26
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Ok. I take back what I said about not at all liking the pic of the back window up. I does not look bad. BUT... I agree about it not helping the lines. The coupe was shown with windows down.

One of the reasons I had heard why GM might make the rear window fixed is because they had a lot of wear on the rubber material at the edge of the window from regular up and down usage. I was told they wanted it to roll down, but couldn't figure out how to prevent the damage to the rubber material. I'm sure w/ a few guys putting their brains together, they could figure it out. And, weight is not increased that much by adding either a motor or handle and the window track. This Camaro is MUCH more appealing w/ the complete open sides.
I actually noticed the extreme wear on the rubber on the back window while at the Philly Auto Show. If they can't reduce that wear, I can see them being fixed.

I'm not against rolldown windows. I actually prefer they roll down. But TTops AND rolldown windows would be even better. LOL
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:37 AM   #27
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
I actually noticed the extreme wear on the rubber on the back window while at the Philly Auto Show. If they can't reduce that wear, I can see them being fixed.

I'm not against rolldown windows. I actually prefer they roll down. But TTops AND rolldown windows would be even better. LOL
I saw the wear too. It was pretty bad. They didn't want to roll down the windows because it was getting so bad that they didn't want to damage it more. Why not make it a metal edge on front to protect the rubber side which would house the front window track? That way, they metal would house the rubber which is being damaged. Metal might not look so great, but it could be pained black...or even made of a hard plastic material. It would not be damaged at all if it was made of a hard plastic material like on the wifes Kia.

I would love to see electric rear windows. Basically, you roll down the front windows completely and then by continuing to hold down the button, the rear windows begin to roll down. That would work fine by me. Hell...if I have to, I'll pay extra.

HOWEVER, I would not be opposed ONE SINGLE BIT to having a manual roll down rear window.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:23 AM   #28
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Giving it more thought, if I had a choice, I'd prefer that the rear window be functional.

But, if it isn't, it's not really a "big deal" to me. I'm more excited over having an AWESOME looking car, and that that car is a Camaro, which not too long ago, was a "thing of the past".

From where I'll be sitting, which is in the drivers seat, I'll be too busy enjoying the car with a HUGE GRIN on my face to be concerned about the rear window.

What's the saying, "Outta sight, outta mind"
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote