Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
asmith10

Drives: Camaro 2LT/RS IBM
Power Washing and Stripes

I know they tell us when we get our factory stripes put on not to power wash bc it will rip off the stripes, but is this really true? I would love to try and make washing it as touch less as possible, but I don't want to ruin my stripes. Also does this strip off the wax? I'm referring to those little do-it-yourself car washing stations that use a power washer. My plan was to go there and get a lot of the junk off with the power washer and then come back home and rewash it and dry it.
asmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Anythings possible if you use the incorrect approach/process.

If you use a wide degree tip, a lower PSI setting, keep the nozzle a good distance from the car, and don't purposely concentrate a hard stream directly at the edge of the vinyl you're fine.

Improper technique can peel paint off if you catch the edge of a stone chip, it would have no issue pulling the stripes off, but again... its all about the user, not the tool.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Don't do it. I used to own a car wash, and people would always want me to fix their cars after they did something stupid like this. It will destroy your stripes if not the first time sooner or later.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote