Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
rez333

 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 1,283
Why Top Gear is the best show in the world



Check out the above video. It captures the heavenly passion and excitement of driving like no other video ever has. It's precisely why Top Gear should keep its winning formula.

For those who had never previously seen Top Gear or understood what kind of show it is, watch the video and understand. I think that TV is not the right medium to do serious car reviews. TV is a shared medium - shared with the family, whereas the Internet is a solitary medium and therefore the Internet is a better medium for serious car reviews. TV is the perfect medium to have a shared experience, which is why Top Gear is so brilliant: it's a show everyone can enjoy.

Top Gear allows me to experience cars and driving, not just know about them in my head. Thank-you Top Gear!
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
305pride

 
305pride's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: miami, fl
Posts: 2,202
that was effing beautiful
__________________
just call me alex. they make anti-me PSA's cos im dope lmao
305pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
christianmotox


 
christianmotox's Avatar
 
Drives: ( . )( . )
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,828
Agreed!


Long live G Wiz!
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 24,906
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post


Check out the above video. It captures the heavenly passion and excitement of driving like no other video ever has. It's precisely why Top Gear should keep its winning formula.

For those who had never previously seen Top Gear or understood what kind of show it is, watch the video and understand. I think that TV is not the right medium to do serious car reviews. TV is a shared medium - shared with the family, whereas the Internet is a solitary medium and therefore the Internet is a better medium for serious car reviews. TV is the perfect medium to have a shared experience, which is why Top Gear is so brilliant: it's a show everyone can enjoy.

Top Gear allows me to experience cars and driving, not just know about them in my head. Thank-you Top Gear!
From the limited number of shows I've seen, I fail to see the reason why its so popular. Most of their reviews are just variations on a theme. They'll complain that German cars are too complicated, Australian cars are too simple, American cars are too cheap, Italian cars are too expensive, etc as well as throwing in a number of jabs at the people from that particular nation. Then one will usually say that despite whatever issues they have with the car, its worth it in some way while another completely disagrees and says you'd have to be foolish to consider it. Their challenges are foolishness, and I'll admit they're pretty entertaining. Many call it the greatest car show ever, I have to point out that the best parts of the show are not exactly about cars, and the stuff that is actually about cars is far from the best. So I don't understand how it could be the best car show.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
christianmotox


 
christianmotox's Avatar
 
Drives: ( . )( . )
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,828
I find it extremely funny, and entertaining.

They don't give a cr@p when it comes to real comparison test's or reviews, but that's what makes this so unique and wonderful. If i want serious car talk i just grab a magazine or something like that.
This show is just over the top entertainment TV, with a few moments of actual decency.

They are Biased, stupid, obnoxious, and sometimes racist, but all in a funny way that its hard to describe.

BRILLIANT!.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
305pride

 
305pride's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: miami, fl
Posts: 2,202
i love top gear.
__________________
just call me alex. they make anti-me PSA's cos im dope lmao
305pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
xs29j8
Hemis, Six Packs, & Wings
 
xs29j8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8 & Old Mopars
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 93
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
From the limited number of shows I've seen, I fail to see the reason why its so popular. Most of their reviews are just variations on a theme. They'll complain that German cars are too complicated, Australian cars are too simple, American cars are too cheap, Italian cars are too expensive, etc as well as throwing in a number of jabs at the people from that particular nation. Then one will usually say that despite whatever issues they have with the car, its worth it in some way while another completely disagrees and says you'd have to be foolish to consider it. Their challenges are foolishness, and I'll admit they're pretty entertaining. Many call it the greatest car show ever, I have to point out that the best parts of the show are not exactly about cars, and the stuff that is actually about cars is far from the best. So I don't understand how it could be the best car show.
I agree... entertaining yes, serious car review no... best car show?

Just IMHO...

XS
__________________
xs29j8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
305pride

 
305pride's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: miami, fl
Posts: 2,202
the words i would say is "the worlds most entertaining car show". emphasizing the word entertaining.
__________________
just call me alex. they make anti-me PSA's cos im dope lmao
305pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
rez333

 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
I find it extremely funny, and entertaining.

They don't give a cr@p when it comes to real comparison test's or reviews, but that's what makes this so unique and wonderful. If i want serious car talk i just grab a magazine or something like that.
This show is just over the top entertainment TV, with a few moments of actual decency.

They are Biased, stupid, obnoxious, and sometimes racist, but all in a funny way that its hard to describe.

BRILLIANT!.
They're really finding their groove now. Their recent episodes including trying to be chauffeurs and trying to run a car-themed museum exhibition. I've noticed a trend to purposely make idiots of themselves whilst trying to accomplish these feats. In other words, they attempt to screw up the challenge as much as possible whilst still achieving the challenge's goals.

If one could compare it to a "factual" but "entertaining" show, one could look at "Mythbusters" for a direction they might have taken. By comparison, "Top Gear" is far more entertaining than "Mythbusters". Mythbusters satisfies intellectual curiosity in a mildly entertaining way. Whereas "Top Gear" is all about giving the audience an amazing and fun experience, and minors on the "intellectual curiosity" bit.

What makes Top Gear brilliant is because it's honest. The excitement of fast and powerful cars is not about boring performance numbers, it's about a certain sumthin-sumthin that can't be readily measured. When you watch say the Camaro "review" - you get it - because they show why it's fun, not try to explain it. And when they do explain something, it's done in the most entertaining way possible - and the British way is through dry wit.

Making fun of the car, and then choosing it as the car they'd prefer is being honest. The Camaro is a stupid car. The Maserati is
an idiotic car. But we know what they mean: it's stupid from a practical standpoint, but they choose it because the cars evoke excitement. And so by calling them stupid and then choosing them, they show that cars aren't just about practicality - they are all about stupid fun.


Other serious car shows like Fifth Gear try to explain fun cars through facts and figures, as if somehow one can justify a sports car as a sensible thing to buy. They aren't. Sports cars aren't sensible, let's be honest with ourselves!

Top Gear is the best car show in the world, because it makes everyone love cars. If you look at the audience in the hangar, they are a mix of all sorts of people - not just male car geeks. Top Gear is responsible for bringing car love to the masses, and that's why it is the best car show in the world.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
98_Camaro

 
98_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
They're really finding their groove now. Their recent episodes including trying to be chauffeurs and trying to run a car-themed museum exhibition. I've noticed a trend to purposely make idiots of themselves whilst trying to accomplish these feats. In other words, they attempt to screw up the challenge as much as possible whilst still achieving the challenge's goals.

If one could compare it to a "factual" but "entertaining" show, one could look at "Mythbusters" for a direction they might have taken. By comparison, "Top Gear" is far more entertaining than "Mythbusters". Mythbusters satisfies intellectual curiosity in a mildly entertaining way. Whereas "Top Gear" is all about giving the audience an amazing and fun experience, and minors on the "intellectual curiosity" bit.

What makes Top Gear brilliant is because it's honest. The excitement of fast and powerful cars is not about boring performance numbers, it's about a certain sumthin-sumthin that can't be readily measured. When you watch say the Camaro "review" - you get it - because they show why it's fun, not try to explain it. And when they do explain something, it's done in the most entertaining way possible - and the British way is through dry wit.

Making fun of the car, and then choosing it as the car they'd prefer is being honest. The Camaro is a stupid car. The Maserati is
an idiotic car. But we know what they mean: it's stupid from a practical standpoint, but they choose it because the cars evoke excitement. And so by calling them stupid and then choosing them, they show that cars aren't just about practicality - they are all about stupid fun.


Other serious car shows like Fifth Gear try to explain fun cars through facts and figures, as if somehow one can justify a sports car as a sensible thing to buy. They aren't. Sports cars aren't sensible, let's be honest with ourselves!

Top Gear is the best car show in the world, because it makes everyone love cars. If you look at the audience in the hangar, they are a mix of all sorts of people - not just male car geeks. Top Gear is responsible for bringing car love to the masses, and that's why it is the best car show in the world.
I have to agree with this 100%. Bravo.
On the other hand, I like Top Gear because it's entertaining! I can get all the facts and figures I want from the internet. What makes Top Gear likable is that they make everything seem fun. More specifically, in this video, you see them taking on that incredibly windy road at the end, 8,000 feet up in the air in a Lamborghini. I know for a fact, I could not do that (there'd be bricks in my pants right at the start), and even though I'm just watching them, I still feel the excitement as though I was there.
__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
1998 Bright Purple Metallic Camaro
2012 Carbon Flash Metallic SS Convertible
Now Driving:
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,199
That is one of my favorite segments on one of my favorite shows. Top Gear is the only show I regularly watch. Thats a lie, I also watch Phineas and Ferb with the kiddo.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
Crowley
Okie doke
 
Crowley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GT500
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 3,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post


Check out the above video. It captures the heavenly passion and excitement of driving like no other video ever has. It's precisely why Top Gear should keep its winning formula.

For those who had never previously seen Top Gear or understood what kind of show it is, watch the video and understand. I think that TV is not the right medium to do serious car reviews. TV is a shared medium - shared with the family, whereas the Internet is a solitary medium and therefore the Internet is a better medium for serious car reviews. TV is the perfect medium to have a shared experience, which is why Top Gear is so brilliant: it's a show everyone can enjoy.

Top Gear allows me to experience cars and driving, not just know about them in my head. Thank-you Top Gear!
+1 .. I haven't seen too many Top Gears that I haven't liked .. My favorite is when the did the Carrera GT. To me, GOD himself touched the exhaust note on this car.



I love the show .. I don't always agree with them and they do put on a SHOW for sure, but when it comes to attempting to experience cars I will never own .. I think it works!

Crowley
__________________
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:29 AM   #13
BigDan

 
Drives: bug
Join Date: May 2009
Location: nv
Posts: 1,319
Here's Top Gear testing the new 2010 SS. It aired on Sunday in the UK but it will take about 8 months for it to air on BBC America.

I started a thread yesterday in the VS section yesterday but it got deleted as usual.

ENJOY
http://www.youtube.com/user/JtypeRbm#p/u/5/7L01r8vdTxw

Maybe a current Camaro owner could start a thread with my link and it wont get deleted based on the fact that I drive a competing car.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:38 AM   #14
BigDan

 
Drives: bug
Join Date: May 2009
Location: nv
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
+1 .. I haven't seen too many Top Gears that I haven't liked .. My favorite is when the did the Carrera GT. To me, GOD himself touched the exhaust note on this car.



I love the show .. I don't always agree with them and they do put on a SHOW for sure, but when it comes to attempting to experience cars I will never own .. I think it works!

Crowley
Here's a video of the ultimate Carrera GT disturbing the peace.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What song are you listening to right now Muscle Master Off-topic Discussions 6424 08-01-2018 08:58 PM
Top Gear Camaro Review [VIDEO] Tran Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 366 05-09-2011 10:48 PM
The 2010 Pacific Coast Dream Machines Show Mindz USA - California 4 04-13-2010 08:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.