Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Ever a problem with superchargers?

Anyone with a supercharger installed EVER have issues of ANY kind? I refer to GM warranty issues as well as supercharger warranty issues?

I want to know because you are basically tossing a 5 year 100,000 warranty out the window and I want to consider the cost of that action before I pull the trigger. Should I be worried?
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
Anyone with a supercharger installed EVER have issues of ANY kind? I refer to GM warranty issues as well as supercharger warranty issues?

I want to know because you are basically tossing a 5 year 100,000 warranty out the window and I want to consider the cost of that action before I pull the trigger. Should I be worried?
It's a "risk" you're taking. Should you be worried? I'd say you should be concern, because "technically" this car/engine was not designed to be Forced Induct. Additional boost pressure could lead to breaking engine parts much sooner that if it was a N/A car. You need to come to terms with yourself that if this engine blows, you can't go to a dealer and ask for a free replacement or ask your insurance company to cover it. You have to have the money to put a new engine in. Same thing with drive train, axle, gear box, transmission and etc.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
tony1

Drives: 2SS/RS Vortech/L99
No guts no glory ... I had trouble in the past I had a 95 Mote Carlo bought new (Zero Mods).. 2yrs later it didn't start..had towed to dealer..it was a washer (cheap part) or something in the distriubator (Labor was expensive-Hard to get to)or something like that.. Long story short "NOT COVERED UNDER WARRENTY" Bill $1400 in 1997.We have a "LIMITED" warrenty. So you may or may not get anything covered. Chances of blowing an Engine should be Slim at best. I never blown a new Engine out. To be around 500whp which is where Iam going is what I consider safe. Most on here will say 600Whp. Your not hearing reports of everyone killing their Engines with a Blower ..
tony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
If you take care of it and don't beat the snot out of it, it should hold up. BUT, things like axles, clutch & driveshaft are items that I would think about upgrading at some point. I'd rather build something bulletproof instead of break something.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I've had a procharger on my last car and had several issues with seal leaks. It made tons of power but wasn't very reliable. My maggie on my camaro runs flawless so I couldn't tell you about warranty problems. AS far as the car ,I have had warranty problems repaired since the maggie install without issue. That will just depend on where the problem is weather or not they will cover after a mod. I most certainly doesn't void the entire car even though people say this all the time.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
For me, one of the most difficult aspects of having work done on my Camaro, including having a blower installed (twice), is that this car is my only car. I have to rent a car when I have work done. That's expensive and when your car is in the shop longer than you hope for, that's extra money you have to pay.

So, perhaps you have another car, if so that helps a lot.

My engine, trans, and rear end are holding up at about 470 rwhp -- I have an L99.

The only problems that my car has had has been directly attributable to mistakes made during installation. No product failure or car failure. And I've had all my work done by really good shops, but even they make mistakes.

But I can tell you this, even though my blower is working great and my engine and trans is running properly, each time that my car has had a problem (which like I said is due to installation error), you immediately feel scared about how much money this will cost you and how much time it will take to deal with, plus more crap that you have to take from family and friends because they correctly say that cars shouldn't be in the shop so much.

So, like others have said before me, just be prepared to pay more than what the products and initial install costs. You're embarking on the upgrade game, be prepared to pay a lot of money. If you don't have any problems whatsoever, you are very fortunate.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
But I can tell you this, even though my blower is working great and my engine and trans is running properly, each time that my car has had a problem (which like I said is due to installation error), you immediately feel scared about how much money this will cost you and how much time it will take to deal with, plus more crap that you have to take from family and friends because they correctly say that cars shouldn't be in the shop so much.
So true!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
So true!
This is the life we have chosen.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
aet08

Drives: c
I decided that I was going to build my car before I bought it. I am willing to foot the bill if my mods break something.

Getting a SC installed is like night and day. I would do it all over again if given the chance.
aet08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
I'm with you. I've been sticking to suspension mods to avoid heat from the wife. I'm about to do cosmetic changes (heritage grill and custom paint). Headers are next. In the spring, I will sell my Jeep Grand Cherokee to pay for Kenne Bell and Lingenfelter ZR-1 clutch. I can't wait.

Last edited by usmcjlp; 07-28-2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: typo
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Thanks for the replies. My installer says he installs a lot of these and doesn't even read the instructions anymore. I trust him, but the whole setup concerns me a bit.
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
Jon@MagnaCharger

Drives: Anything Supercharged
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. My installer says he installs a lot of these and doesn't even read the instructions anymore. I trust him, but the whole setup concerns me a bit.
Which setup are you going with?
Jon@MagnaCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
Mike@KB

Drives: 775HP 2005 KBGT
Quote:
if you need anything from us let me know.
Mike@KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:

We have done hundreds of Superchargers from mild to wild, the Mild ones we only see for routine maintenance, the wild ones that depends on the driver more than anything, There are 2 kinds of Drivers, One who uses the power and one who abuses the power.

The Point is if you don't get Greedy for power you can have your cake and eat it to.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote