Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   My idea for the Z28! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183583)

Supercamaro64 11-27-2011 02:39 PM

a crank window in a new car today is just funny. If my 86 POS Camaro has electric windows, any kind of new camaro better have them. I agree about stripping some stuff, but not all the basic stuff that most cars have had since the mid-nineties. And i also agree, no vert. It adds weight, which is exactly the opposite of what they should be trying to do. But in general, what youre proposing would make a great Z28!

Fightinfire921 11-27-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zkdreads (Post 4083433)
800hp thats around $80-$100,000

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Synerbee 11-27-2011 03:43 PM

I love all your guys post about throwing an LS7 in it and getting it to 800 HP but costing under ZL1. If they could don't you think they sell the cars for cheaper?

ViperTomcat 11-27-2011 06:40 PM

I firmly suspect that if a "Z/28" of any kind emerges with a LS7 you could see a BOSS 429 emerge. Ford has already built a new 427 test engine (a 6.2L truck base stroked out) that produced 700 HP. It would be no real task to stroke it out two more CI to 429 and detune it to whatever they need.

LoneCynic 11-27-2011 10:41 PM

Well, the basic point was made that it should be a no frills model, akin to my LS for purposes of keeping the cost down. The crank up windows bit was really just a personal joke more than any serious suggestion. It was meant more to drive the point home with a smirk or a chuckle, than to be taken seriously. I just meant expensive extras, like HUD, convertible top, etc really wouldn't belong as options on a Z28 model. It will be expensive enough performance wise, and to leave the "fully loaded" notion to be ZL1 territory. Hope that clears up my previous statement a bit.

1BADZL1 11-28-2011 12:11 AM

Ok if I were in charge at chevrolet I would tell them to build it something like this.

I would have the design team to go foward with the 6th gen camaro.
As far as asthetics or the final design the camaro team comes up with
for the 6th gen would be fine with me.

BUT....
Whatever 5thgen model that does not sell well.....
or lowest in numbers, be it the SS model, or the V6 model..
I would pull it.
Lets say it is the current SS sales better than the v6....Leave the V6 current lineup.

Pull the SS trim completely.

Whatever that vehicle is, lets say SS in that case completely drop that line for now.
Make that the platform for the new z28...
Homage......
Take a engine block from the LS family (not the LS7 as its on its way out)
Take the small block LS and bore it to 302 Cubic inch with forged internals
in homage to the 1967-1969 Z28.
Most cars are fuel injected these days so add fuel injection and top it of with a tvs 2300 super charger....
See what HP you get out of it and drop in the new car.
Take the historic Z/28 badge........
and homage to the great 1967 z28....and DROP all badges...
No exterior badges except 302 designation Maybe......
Take the Z/28 badge and create a new font for it. Apply it throughout the cars interior only. The head rests, the door sills, the dash.....
flatten the hood of the car out..no dome or scoop... no first gen had a cowl hood until 1969.....
flatten the hood out....
put the two historic z28 rally stripes (the current SS stripes you see on cars now is incorrect as they were intended for z28 only)
down the hood, not over the roof, and down the trunk lid and over the rear spoiler. Revamp the current spoiler form the ZL1 make it fatter for z28...
Give the Z28 its own set of wheels.....
Redesign the current Camaro logo for Z28 only and put them on the header panel, and the rear deck lid....
No mail slot!
and...your gonna love this.....NO Automatic or VERT! or sunroof! :paddle: :rules:

one more thing.... a set of ceramic headers in the trunk!

:D
Chevy Runs Deep

Vulpine 11-28-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 4082895)
Don't expect any miracles with the Alpha platform

Do you think its that far fetched to hope for a lighter camaro? As for the color selection...when we pay this much for cars I should think that we should be able to have a wider color selection or the option of special selection of color. They seem to be tackin' on the money anyhow with different colors.:iono:

Vulpine 11-28-2011 01:20 AM

Just finished reading the updated posts to the thread and felt I needed to chime in again. I agree with less frills in the model but you should have a lot more options available on a stripped down model. The meat of the matter should be performance though it should be upgradable to a 2SS package options (most of them, not all of them) and some of the performance parts of the ZL1 (once again, some of them not all of them). I have had more fun over the years modding my z28s than buying an SS. There is just something about taking an average V8 camaro and customizing/modding it with a personal touch...sorta the concept of the modern day hotrod. I agree on no SC for the engine however if you could have some form of LS which puts out about 500hp on pumped gas and put it in the mid 40s for a starting price before any frills are added to it and a lighter platform than the current behemoth than I think we are on to something in regards to a z28 model. Otherwise, we should just stick with what we got and all drool at the ZL1 while we play with our @SSs. HAHA

CAPT D 11-28-2011 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MY68RS (Post 4085890)
and...your gonna love this.....NO Automatic or VERT! or sunroof!

one more thing.... a set of ceramic headers in the trunk!

:D
Chevy Runs Deep

This

DGthe3 11-28-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpine (Post 4085951)
Do you think its that far fetched to hope for a lighter camaro? As for the color selection...when we pay this much for cars I should think that we should be able to have a wider color selection or the option of special selection of color. They seem to be tackin' on the money anyhow with different colors.:iono:

I'm sure it will be lighter, just not substantially lighter -hence no miracles. Drop 100 lbs? Sure. 200? Maybe. 300 lbs? Bit of a stretch. 400? Doubtful. 500? Not happening.

Colours ... I think there should be a more choices, but I don't think its lacking very much either. There are 8 available right now and we know that there is another red on the way soon. That gives a white, a black, a silver, a grey, two reds, an orange, a yellow, and a blue. About the only colours missing are green, purple, and brown.

LOWDOWN 11-28-2011 07:05 PM

A badge-worthy Gen-5 ZEE requires use of existing certified/validated components...a "parts bin special" if you please...to keep costs down and allow its appearance before the "final sunset" of this version.

- That likely means MRC borrowed from the ZL1, along with its wheels/tires/brakes. 1LE-like. Supremely capable (this time around) through the twisties. Short of an enhanced version (not currently extant) of the FE4 system (adjustable coilovers?), it's the best available.

- More beans than an SS. Short of a Big Block, back in the day, the ZEE offered more. It needs more. It grown by 750 lb. The BOSS tells us that, too...and the certified/validated options are few. LSA? Spoken for. LS9? Too heavy/expensive for a broad-based ZEE. Enhanced LS3? Where/what is it? LS7? Sign me up...

- Basic content, philosophically AND weight-wise. 1SS basics, with 1LS seats. With Packaged options. "Racy", with coolers 'n such? OK. Fancy duds, inside? 2SS content just a ticked box away...

-TWO possible versions:

1LE with LS3, as an option on 1SS/2SS, for those who want the handling at a budgeted price without extra power (although 3.73 gears would wake it up).

As above, with LS7; truly badge-worthy as Z/28 - rev-able, with a power-to-weight to rustle any horse or handle any challenge(er)...

1SS with 1LE = under $40!

1SS/1LS content with Z/28-LS7 and ZL1 driveline = $48...or $6,000 under base ZL1...and 200 fewer lb.

V8 Camaros would then bridge the pricing strata of $31 to $54, Base, with NO cavernous gaps.

Gen-6? Based on Caddy's requirements for the Alpha platform, figure on roughly 250 lb savings, max...V6 to V6...and NO engines over 500 hp!

Gen-5: "These are the Good Ol' Days!"

midnighter 11-28-2011 07:26 PM

Look at it on the bright side, if the Z28 doesn't return you can always buy a good ol' one from 1967-2002.

Vulpine 11-29-2011 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 4089183)
I'm sure it will be lighter, just not substantially lighter -hence no miracles. Drop 100 lbs? Sure. 200? Maybe. 300 lbs? Bit of a stretch. 400? Doubtful. 500? Not happening.

Colours ... I think there should be a more choices, but I don't think its lacking very much either. There are 8 available right now and we know that there is another red on the way soon. That gives a white, a black, a silver, a grey, two reds, an orange, a yellow, and a blue. About the only colours missing are green, purple, and brown.

I don't see brown making a comeback.:sm0:However, purple would go the route of ABM if ever offered again. But come on GREEN...we need a real racing green not a :barf:green!:thumbsup:

Vulpine 11-29-2011 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnighter (Post 4089886)
Look at it on the bright side, if the Z28 doesn't return you can always buy a good ol' one from 1967-2002.

True...I'm feelin' the route of the pontiac trans am for the z28...The pontiac 2002s are pretty much collectors' cars now. There are some great deals on 02s right now camaro and trans am/firebird, but its hard to not desire a new generation.:drool: