Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Headers with out a tune (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295465)

litle88 05-14-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJT-SS (Post 6544468)
That's exactly what I did. I already had an SCT X3 and the only dyno tuner I trusted had an EFI setup. My tune is on order as of a couple of minutes ago. I should have it before the end of the week and will be testing on the butt-dyno shortly thereafter! After that, I will find a dyno and do a couple of pulls just so I have an idea of numbers.

Awesome!

Badbubba 05-14-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuskSS (Post 6543303)
Um SC cars still pollute...
and ZL1s and ZR1s still have cats..
cost? was very little difference with the SW system.

/boggle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thahemp (Post 6543348)

Spraying will destroy cats too. Post 8.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235637

Ran no tune, headers and hf cats with no issues other than cel coming on after about 200 miles, LS3 though. Was a little rich. Spraying destroyed the cats. So they are punched out now, the passenger side punched itself out. No cats with tune has an occasional smell, depends on wind, not very bad. If not doing nitrous or supercharging, then either way would be fine.

Tampa Tuning 05-15-2013 07:32 AM

This thread got sideways fast lol

The short answer yes.

The drone and CEL will start to bug the heck out of you, but the car wont have any issues, with the exception of some of your FOB and specialty features of the car might not work with the CEL on.

Just spending a couple grand on parts and not maximizing them will always seem odd, but the car wont have issues.

Phil
www.TampaTuning.com

thahemp 05-15-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning (Post 6545954)
This thread got sideways fast lol

The short answer yes.

The drone and CEL will start to bug the heck out of you, but the car wont have any issues, with the exception of some of your FOB and specialty features of the car might not work with the CEL on.

Just spending a couple grand on parts and not maximizing them will always seem odd, but the car wont have issues.

Phil
www.TampaTuning.com

The way I see it... It's a win/win/win. The OP gets their answer (eventually), we get some good laughs, and you venders get to pop in and drop your name. I vote this be the new approved way to handle repeat threads.

DuskSS 05-15-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crim (Post 6544086)
:bs: you'll have to go see your tuner first to pass TX inspection

Correct...

...and in Texas you cannot have more than one "not ready" code, meaning if you turn your O2 sensors off to avoid a CEL that's 2 and you won't pass. I see these guys get their new cars with a 2 year inspection from the dealer totally forget about this stuff until they have to get the inspection done.

Ok I just talked to Shawn.
he said my car should be 100% compliant with Texas inspection and emission laws.
and I should NOT have to go see him or require anything else for the inspection.

Aqua_Blue_SS 05-15-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crim (Post 6544086)
:bs: you'll have to go see your tuner first to pass TX inspection

Correct...

...and in Texas you cannot have more than one "not ready" code, meaning if you turn your O2 sensors off to avoid a CEL that's 2 and you won't pass. I see these guys get their new cars with a 2 year inspection from the dealer totally forget about this stuff until they have to get the inspection done.

You could just move to a TX county that doesn't have emission testing like me. :D
As long a my wipers work, I'm good.

This Space For Rent!

litle88 05-15-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuskSS (Post 6547228)
Ok I just talked to Shawn.
he said my car should be 100% compliant with Texas inspection and emission laws.
and I should NOT have to go see him or require anything else for the inspection.

That's good to know Dusk!!!

Do you still love me? Lol

coreyaustin17 05-16-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckeen723 (Post 6543245)
My main reason for not wanting a tune was powertrain warranty issues, but I guess it might not be an issues if its just to tune for the headers as they would have to prove any problems were from they tune itself

GOODLUCK with that any dealer is going to look at your headers read the computer and see a tune and your warranty is gone my friend mess with the comp= no warranty
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuskSS (Post 6543434)
Um it is still illegal.. don't care if you eat them or not.

I'm sorry I'm all for performance and HP. but excessively polluting because you are too cheap or because boost will chew them up is not a valid reason.

so is texas doing emissions testing now?

axis 05-16-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreyaustin17 (Post 6549951)
GOODLUCK with that any dealer is going to look at your headers read the computer and see a tune and your warranty is gone my friend mess with the comp= no warranty

While I'll agree that they CAN void your warranty, there are MANY documented cases of dealers doing warranty work on tuned Camaro's. If you're worried about the warranty, it would be a good idea to talk to the local GM dealers to see what they say. YMMV.

coreyaustin17 05-16-2013 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 6549981)
While I'll agree that they CAN void your warranty, there are MANY documented cases of dealers doing warranty work on tuned Camaro's. If you're worried about the warranty, it would be a good idea to talk to the local GM dealers to see what they say. YMMV.

sure there are cases of that happening and if you have the "hookup" with your local GM dealer and you tell them whats up im just saying in my experience if you have done anything that could affect the dependability and drivability of your car i have a feeling your dealer and General Motors as a whole aren't going to be to fond of saying " hey buddy we know you changed the tune this engine was designed to run and we know you did all this stuff that COULD have a correlation to why your (insert problem here I.E tranny,rearend,heads, valve-train, etc.) failed but we like you so were gonna fix it on good faith"

i dont see that happening.Now sure say its something completely not related to a mod you have done like say your cars electrical system goes and you have done all mechanical mods and there is no way you changing the things you did could affect it then of course they will honor the warranty.

But you hear crazier things happening all the time remember im just a guy whose had quite a few new vehicles and ive modded them all this is my 3rd 5th gen that i have now and just dealing with the various dealerships its been my experience that they don't want to give away a single red cent and any courtesy you do receive there is always an ulterior motive behind everything but hey that business ......imo if i was to worried about a warranty i would've bought a kia or a camry i bought my car to drive hard have fun and enjoy personalizing its performance to fit my desires :pop2::thumb:

Best of luck to the individual who started the thread:thumb:

matt55 05-16-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 6549981)

If something big breaks it not up to the dealer:frusty:
Its in GM's hands then and that friendly dealer has no say in it .

litle88 05-16-2013 09:37 AM

Why head bang? That's what he's saying pretty much, all the dealer has to see are the flashed times the PCM has had and it will be reported to the GM reps and warranty is ova! Lol

DuskSS 05-16-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreyaustin17 (Post 6549951)

so is texas doing emissions testing now?

depends on what county you live in but yes most large metros have had it for years.

DuskSS 05-16-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 6548125)
That's good to know Dusk!!!

Do you still love me? Lol

Of course man.. friends bro.