Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   I need some tips for getting a good run down the track! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62548)

ROBBDOGG1986 01-25-2010 03:27 PM

I need some tips for getting a good run down the track!

NEVERMIND

Toyaholic 01-25-2010 04:09 PM

Here's the timeslips from my stock baseline runs. I hadn't been down the track in about 5 years.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...orld3Races.jpg

The first run was with stabilization off / traction control on. (8.91 /13.524) The last run was in competition mode.(8.832 /13.501) The second race, I red lighted and missed second gear.

Here's a video of my screw up.:facepalm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFXk_...layer_embedded

Your tip...... don't do this.

Toyaholic 01-25-2010 04:22 PM

I've heard, If you're running street tires....you want to spin the tires just enough to clean them.

Were your runs in Lakeland?

ROBBDOGG1986 01-25-2010 05:36 PM

Ya I've been to Lakeland

THUMPER20X 01-25-2010 07:29 PM

Drive it like u wanna break it. But with control.

hb35man 01-25-2010 07:33 PM

Practice,practice,practice..............practice being smooth and consistent.Never change more than one thing at a time.Sorry I'm not much help:iono:

Toyaholic 01-25-2010 08:00 PM

I found this article on the basics of racing a stock vehicle.
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...racing102.html

nuptualnemesis 01-29-2010 09:18 AM

Always turn TC off and try 7 sec hold down to turn every thing off.
Hold gas pedal between 2500 and 3000, with street tires, and 3,000 and 3,500, with drag radials. Drive it out of hole, don't pop clutch and don't slip it. Same motion as driving off from a red light on street. If you smell it you slipped it too much. If it doesn't smell it is fine.

DO INSTALLl BMR Fabrication ($139.95) or Spohn trailing arms, worth .2 reduction in 60 foot stops most wheel hop (protects drive train) Best mod you can make and easy to do.

Light burn out with street tires. Drive around the water and back up almost to water box. Spin tires on wet pavement not in water. Water in treads of street tires will drip off on the starting line (bad). For M6 burn out hold gas pedal steady at 5,000 rpm entire time. Dump the clutch in second and lightly get on the brake. Allow vehicle to move forward slowly entire time and get off brake and drive out of tire spin. If rear end moves right steer right. move left steer left, while moving forward. The faster you move forward the straighter it will go. Get off gas if rear moves to far to the side.

Launch between 2,500 and 3,000, with street tires, and 3,000 and 4,000, with drag radials, depending on conditions. The goal is minimal wheel spin with no bog coming out of wheel spin. Roll into throttle as wheels stop spinning. If it bogs coming out of wheel spin, raise launch rpm 200 at a time and/or roll into throttle sooner or faster. With to much wheel spin roll in later or slower. Too much wheel spin and/or wheel hop, pedal throttle, let off half way to 2/3 and roll back in

Track surface must reach 50 to 55 degrees to hook very well.

Easiest to hold throttle steady and wait till wheel spin stops to roll into throttle but slower. You can raise or lower launch rpm holding pedal steady to prevent bog or too much spin, then roll into throttle after wheel spin stops. I need at least 3000 rpm after spin stops to roll in for best results. Push rev limiter for shifts but don't hit it. Stock limiter will cause throttle blade to close for a second or two just like letting off on the gas. This can be tuned out and still leave spark reduction on for rev limiter.

SRT10KLLR 01-29-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuptualnemesis (Post 1428599)
Always turn TC off and try 7 sec hold down to turn every thing off.
Hold gas pedal between 3,000 and 3,500 rpm. Drive it out of hole, don't pop clutch and don't slip it. Same motion as driving off from a red light on street.

DO INSTALLl BMR Fabrication ($139.95) or Spohn trailing arms, worth .2 reduction in 60 foot stops most wheel hop (protects drive train) Best mod you can make and easy to do.

Light burn out with street tires. Launch between 3,000 and 3,500 with minimal wheel spin and try to roll into throttle as wheels stop spinning. If it bogs coming out of wheel spin, roll into throttle sooner or faster. With to much wheel spin roll in later or slower.

Easiest to hold throttle steady and wait till wheel spins stops to roll into throttle but slower. You can raise or lower launch rpm holding pedal steady to prevent bog or too much spin, then roll into throttle after wheel spin stops. Need at least 3000 rpm to roll in after spin stops for best results. Push rev limiter for shifts but don't hit it.

Which one do you have and where can I get it?

CFPC_2010 01-29-2010 12:04 PM

I have the BMR parts (go to http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F5.htm ) and it has made a huge difference in how the car launches. It was done as part of a tech article in the current GM High Tech magazine where you can see a side-by-side comparison with the stock part. The car's launch changed drastically, I never had issues with wheel hop but when it spun the car would head towards the wall. Now the car goes straight and launches much harder. Stock tires I run low 1.80 short times and on drag radials I hit low 1.70s. The car only has a converter and headers and runs 12.40s at 111 mph.

nuptualnemesis 01-29-2010 04:47 PM

I have BMR TA's. My mods are listed in my garage and dyno graphs in my photo album (click Nuptualnemesis on left and ind drop down menu click on View public profile then look on left for Photos Album) Thunderracing.com in BR can get you anything.

TIP: You can remove front sway bar end links to get better lift and weight transfer. I drive on street with out them but don’t corner quiet as hard.

Second Mod I recommend is a Spohn rear sway bar, it has 80%,120% and 170% stiffer than stock settings. ($149.00) Makes IRS act more like a solid rear end. The middle setting helped completely eliminate wheel hop with drag radials. Ran a best 1.675 sixty foot. Will try stiffest setting next time. Spohn says not to use stiffest setting on street, only for race. The sway bar also reduces under steer (put front end links back on to try it). Under steer better for inexperienced drivers. You have to power through or out of cornering skid without it. Can’t let off like with stock suspension because rear end will spin around instead of straightening out. I am not sure how much the rear sway helped because I had also switched from 20” Nitto’s to 295/45/17 MT ET Streets at same time but it feels a lot more solid and improved handling. You may not need a new front sway bar but I think the Spohn front end links ($95) may help. Bwoody sells just the front end links for I think $295.

TIP: Lighter rims and tires make dramatic improvement in performance. Less inertia to accelerate or stop. 1 lb reduction in reciprocating weight is like 4 lbs less sprung weight. Stock rims are boat anchors. I took off 40 lbs with 24 & 25 lb 20" racing rims and took .2 off my ET plus 2 mph.

Tip: Tirerack,com has cheap light weight 18” rims. Search under 2010 camaro LT. Must designate LT. They have 144 rims listed with 42 on special. When they get to three or less they go for $99 to get rid of them. I got 2-17x9 & 2-18x9 SSR 16lb rims for $396 ,regular $2400. Practically all 18" rims listed for Camaro LT will fit SS but one piece works better than 2 piece especially on 17's. Caliper clearance issue is back side of front of rim on 18's and top of caliper on 17's. Off set is 32-35 front and 40 rear. You can call and ask. They may even test fit them. I had to run a 3/8 spacer on the rear. Billet aluminum spacer from speedway.com $11.99 @. Longer wheel studs recommended. I also saved 10lb per front tire with smaller 27" diameter street not a racing skinny but streetable front tire. Match front and rear tire diameter for ABS. Pics in my photo album.

SRT10KLLR 01-30-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFPC_2010 (Post 1429068)
I have the BMR parts (go to http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F5.htm ) and it has made a huge difference in how the car launches. It was done as part of a tech article in the current GM High Tech magazine where you can see a side-by-side comparison with the stock part. The car's launch changed drastically, I never had issues with wheel hop but when it spun the car would head towards the wall. Now the car goes straight and launches much harder. Stock tires I run low 1.80 short times and on drag radials I hit low 1.70s. The car only has a converter and headers and runs 12.40s at 111 mph.

Need to get these ASAP. My best so far was 12.59 with headers, CAI and tune.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuptualnemesis (Post 1429849)
I have BMR TA's. My mods are listed in my garage and dyno graphs in my photo album (click on name over avatar and home page for photos) Thunderracing.com in BR can get you anything.

TIP: Track surface temperature needs to be 50 to 55 degrees to get good hook.

TIP: You can remove front sway bar end links to get better lift and weight transfer. I drive on street with out them but don’t corner quiet as hard.

Second Mod I recommend is a Spohn rear sway bar, it has 80%,120% and 170% stiffer than stock settings. ($149.00) Makes IRS act more like a solid rear end. The middle setting helped completely eliminate wheel hop with drag radials. Ran a best 1.675 sixty foot. Will try stiffest setting next time. Spohn says not to use stiffest setting on street, only for race. The sway bar also reduces under steer (put front end links back on to try it). Under steer better for inexperienced drivers. You have to power through or out of cornering skid without it. Can’t let off like with stock suspension because rear end will spin around instead of straightening out. I am not sure how much the rear sway helped because I had also switched from 20” Nitto’s to 295/45/17 MT ET Streets at same time but it feels a lot more solid and improved handling. You may not need a new front sway bar but I think the Spohn front end links ($95) will help. Bwoody sells just the fron end links for I think $295.

TIP: Lighter rims and tires make dramatic improvement in performance. Less inertia to accelerate or stop. 1 lb reduction in reciprocating weight is like 4 lbs less sprung weight. Stock rims are boat anchors. I took off 40 lbs with 24 & 25 lb 20" racing rims and took .2 off my ET plus 2 mph.

Tip: Tirerack,com has cheap light weight 18” rims. Search under 2010 camaro LT. Must designate LT. They have 144 rims listed with 42 on special. When they get to three or less they go for $99 to get rid of them. I got 2-17x9 & 2-18x9 SSR 16lb rims for $396 ,regular $2400. Practically all 18" rims listed for Camaro LT will fit SS but one piece works better than 2 piece especially on 17's. Caliper clearance issue is back side of front of rim on 18's and top of caliper on 17's. Off set is 32-35 front and 40 rear. You can call and ask. They may even test fit them. I had to run a 3/8 spacer on the rear. Billet aluminum spacer from speedway.com $11.99 @. Longer wheel studs recommended. I also saved 10lb per front tire with smaller 27" diameter street not a racing skinny but streetable front tire. Match front and rear tire diameter for ABS. Pics in my photo album.

I did not see trailing arms in your mod list in your "garage". :iono: I saw them listed in your mods in the 1/4 mile times though but I did not know what t-arm was at the time. Always wanted to ask just never did till now. I was trying to beat your time last time I went to the track but did not get enough runs because of a bracket racing competition going on.

I was thinking of going to the SMJ/Bogart 17" wheels then thought about the 18" Corvette Z06 wheels to save some money. You say that 17's will fit the 2SS?

Thanks, guys for the advice I will definitely be ordering the t-arm on Monday morning.

BabyHauler 01-31-2010 06:42 AM

Anyone have any pics of the trailing arms installed?

nuptualnemesis 02-01-2010 10:24 AM

BMR TA's installed

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyHauler (Post 1433942)
Anyone have any pics of the trailing arms installed?

Look on last page of this thread. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ght=BMR&page=4
It show comparison to stock and installed. The lower one in the photo is TA and upper is toe rod.