Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   ZL1 Assembly Line (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255459)

69 Post Sedan 10-14-2012 07:15 AM

ZL1 Assembly Line

Orley Koppes is purchasing a new ZL1 Camaro and the question came up if he was able to watch his car being built on the assembly line in Oshawa, ON.

Does anyone know if this can happen?

Thanks in advance, Kurt

Here's Orley sitting behind his Cuda and another picture of his white Nickey Stage 2 Camaro that he traded in for the ZL1.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/100_6539.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/IMAG0283.jpg

armysig 10-14-2012 07:53 AM

No, GM only opens up the plant once a year for fans/customers. They do not provide any service like what you can get when you order a Z06/ZR1.

It would be nice if they did, I know I would have loved to of seen my ZL-1 being built. Plus the engines are assembled in Mexico.

HDRDTD 10-14-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armysig (Post 5691917)
No, GM only opens up the plant once a year for fans/customers. They do not provide any service like what you can get when you order a Z06/ZR1.

It would be nice if they did, I know I would have loved to of seen my ZL-1 being built. Plus the engines are assembled in Mexico.

Correct.

KKreme15 10-14-2012 09:51 AM

If you have enough money and the right connections, yeah

69 Post Sedan 10-14-2012 08:04 PM

Thanks for replies.

Kurt

Normagene 10-14-2012 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I actually sent an e-mail to Customer Service suggesting to them that they install cameras along the assembly line. I suggested that they contact the customer when the vehicle starts down the line (it takes about 22 hours from start to finish) through the "track your Order" system. I would have loved to watch it being built. Just to check in every few hours would of been awesome!

Attachment 432924

I think anyone who ordered a ZL1 would love to check it out as it goes down the assembly line. I also told them this was a very low cost investment that would pay ten fold in customer satisfaction!

flyingskibiker 10-15-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armysig (Post 5691917)

I was thinking of starting a thread about this. It wouldn't have to be as big as the ZR1 deal. But maybe see your car on the line, get the workers to sign the "build sheet" and ship it w/ the car, pull a Dodge Viper deal and maybe have a disposible camera travel w/ the car down the line and ship that, have a track day somewhere, maybe some signatures from exec.s, etc. It wouldn't need to include the engine build, "presentation" of your car, or any other "large" interuption... And sure, charge for it...

Would be nice.

ZL1speed 10-15-2012 01:43 AM

I sincerely think this is long overdue. I know this has been talked about year after year. They just need to get this done period. Add it as an option 1200 1500. Which you are responsible for your own travel arrangements. Everyone i know would pay it. This car is iconic and seriously they need to get closer to the customer on whatever they build. WIN WIN in my book and i know it would totally help them customer wise. Let's hope they have something going forward:thumbup:

Nightspore68 10-15-2012 03:45 PM

They're trying to build cars, not run a TV show. How would you like it if your customers watched you while you were at work?

firecross91 10-15-2012 04:07 PM

I couldn't get an inside tour of the plant when I visited. I don't know why they (Chevy) aren't more open to it's customers. They still haven't released the reason for the QA hold earlier this year. We (the ZL1 owners) have spent about $58,000 for the car and I think they should at least let us know what the QA hold was for. I would like to know just for piece of mind. I'm glad they fixed the problem but would like to know what it was. :word:

HDRDTD 10-15-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firecross91 (Post 5697110)
I couldn't get an inside tour of the plant when I visited. I don't know why they (Chevy) aren't more open to it's customers. They still haven't released the reason for the QA hold earlier this year. We (the ZL1 owners) have spent about $58,000 for the car and I think they should at least let us know what the QA hold was for. I would like to know just for piece of mind. I'm glad they fixed the problem but would like to know what it was. :word:

I'd guess that personal tours are probably limited due to legal liabilities.

As far as revealing the reason for the QC hold? GM has never said, and never will for a whole lot of reasons. Don't hold your breath waiting for them to tell us.

flyingskibiker 10-16-2012 01:51 AM

I've toured Harley, Monaco, NASA (2 sites), Boeing, Lancair, and a few electronic manufacturing sites. They will either tell you where you can't go or take pictures or tell you to leave your cameras/phones put away. They get confiscated otherwise. Also had to wear safety glasses, maybe sign something, etc.

IMHO, it really isn't a bother to the workers. The would get use to it after a couple times...

I think it would be worth it to GM. Not in profits or anything...

Nightspore68 10-16-2012 01:32 PM

I think the German manufacturers do allow (and promote) factory tours, now that I think about it.

littlecammi 10-16-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firecross91 (Post 5697110)
They still haven't released the reason for the production holdup earlier this year. I would like to know just for piece of mind. I'm glad they fixed the problem but would like to know what it was.

Camaro production was stopped until they could get all the customers out of the plant who were up there trying to see their ZL1s built.