Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Can't shift into reverse!!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32319)

surferbarney 07-14-2009 07:17 AM

Can't shift into reverse!!!

Ok, so I got to work this morning and went to back into a parking space and I couldn't put my car into reverse. I thought it was very odd but I did add something to the car yesterday which is probably what screwed it up and I just don't know how it could have though. Yesterday I installed a skip shift eliminator which only involves plugging in two connectors so I really don't see how this could have screwed up my ability to shift into reverse. Does anyone know if this could have caused the problem? And if it did, how it could have caused it? Like maybe the connectors aren't seated good enough, or maybe the wire is just bad???

I can't do anything about it right now but when I get home I'm going to remove the skip shift eliminator and see if that allows me to shift into reverse again.

Crowley 07-14-2009 07:35 AM

Keep us posted. I wouldn't think it would cause your problem, but you never know.

Crowley

IROCanSS 07-14-2009 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surferbarney (Post 677976)
Ok, so I got to work this morning and went to back into a parking space and I couldn't put my car into reverse. I thought it was very odd but I did add something to the car yesterday which is probably what screwed it up and I just don't know how it could have though. Yesterday I installed a skip shift eliminator which only involves plugging in two connectors so I really don't see how this could have screwed up my ability to shift into reverse. Does anyone know if this could have caused the problem? And if it did, how it could have caused it? Like maybe the connectors aren't seated good enough, or maybe the wire is just bad???

I can't do anything about it right now but when I get home I'm going to remove the skip shift eliminator and see if that allows me to shift into reverse again.

doesn't matter, youre probably going to get a new tranny anyhow!

fastdoc436 07-14-2009 08:17 AM

I installed my skip shift eliminator already and is working fine. The instructions stated that there are 3 solenoids and the reverse lock out is most commonly mistaken for the skip shift solenoid. The skip shift solenoid is on top of the tranny...go online and look for pics of the install (I think on slponline.com and pehaps at afterthoughts auto or pfyc). Simply reach up higher on the tranny to locate the skip shift solenoid...it is tuff to see. Good luck!!(be careful the tranny stays hot for awhile, so do this on a cold tranny) Hope this helps!:thumbsup:

Ltdodge 07-14-2009 09:18 AM

anyone with m6 tranny is crazy to install the skipshift eliminator until these tranny issues are resolved......

you would not want them to hose you saying the skip shift is what caused the failure....

firestone_ss 07-14-2009 09:30 AM

hell it only takes 3.5 seconds to remove and anyway vettes have used em for a long timeits not the issue,id bet the wrong solenoid was plugged into,it happens

PsyDoc 07-14-2009 09:56 AM

I know this happens on some of the older manual cars. All you have to do is to put it in first and get it to move forward a bit...inch or two, and then it should go into reverse fine.

surferbarney 07-14-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastdoc436 (Post 678120)
I installed my skip shift eliminator already and is working fine. The instructions stated that there are 3 solenoids and the reverse lock out is most commonly mistaken for the skip shift solenoid. The skip shift solenoid is on top of the tranny...go online and look for pics of the install (I think on slponline.com and pehaps at afterthoughts auto or pfyc). Simply reach up higher on the tranny to locate the skip shift solenoid...it is tuff to see. Good luck!!(be careful the tranny stays hot for awhile, so do this on a cold tranny) Hope this helps!:thumbsup:

I can guarantee you this is the problem because I just drove it and was forced to skip shift. Should be an easy fix when I get home.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-14-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surferbarney (Post 678526)
I can guarantee you this is the problem because I just drove it and was forced to skip shift. Should be an easy fix when I get home.

Yes i did it at first and had to remove and install on the top solenoid it will be longer to let the trans cool than to redo the install.

surferbarney 07-14-2009 08:03 PM

Well my car now goes in reverse again, lol. It was definitely plugged into the wrong solenoid. The correct one was a lot harder to see. But I drove it around earlier after switching and the skip shift eliminator now works properly. Thanks for the help guys.

jpsuperman81 09-02-2009 05:09 PM

Hey guys am I to assume if the skip shift was in wrong place it wouldn't be working? I didn't install it but the guy said it was hard to reach above transmission. I can get in reverse just a little harder than before.