Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Dupli-Color tire shine review (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277638)

godeepdown 02-17-2013 12:42 PM

Dupli-Color tire shine review

5 Attachment(s)
So I just installed new tires and thought I would try the new Dupli-Color tire shine coating. Washed and scrubbed the tires, taped off the wheels and did four coatings following the can directions. It is alot more work that the other tire dressings. I did it yesterday and the next morning here are the results. Im sure they would say I did something wrong but I don't care. It is a pain to do and it sux. I don't want a tire dressing that is that much work or that easy to mess up.

montreal2010yellow 02-17-2013 12:46 PM

Thanks for the info.

ihaveacamaro 02-17-2013 02:28 PM

Interesting, thanks for the review! Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Got a couple questions:

What did you clean the tires with and what did you use to scrub it?

What does the instructions on the bottle say on prepping the tires?

Thanks again!

CamaroDreams07 02-17-2013 03:09 PM

Yuck, hope it's easier to remove than it was to apply. Looks like somebody sneezed on your tires.

Frid 02-17-2013 03:12 PM

Wow, that looks disgusting. Thanks for the review OP.

godeepdown 02-17-2013 04:08 PM

All the instructions say is a thoroughly with a high quality cleaner.
Not sure if that meant car wash, wheel cleaner, or what. I went with hot water and dish soap with a wash mitt, thought it would help remove any oily residue on the surface. Probably not what they had in mind but I want something that would fit in with my normal washing routine. I normally use a car wash liquid with a mitt. I thought the dish soap would be stronger. If I have to go out and buy a special cleaner etc.. Then I am happy with the way I have been doing it. With all the taping and waiting to spray coats it takes ten times as long to apply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro (Post 6172066)
Interesting, thanks for the review! Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Got a couple questions:

What did you clean the tires with and what did you use to scrub it?

What does the instructions on the bottle say on prepping the tires?

Thanks again!

Blau camaro 02-19-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 6172212)
Yuck, hope it's easier to remove than it was to apply. Looks like somebody sneezed on your tires.

If my tires looked like that I would get some Adams APC and remove that snot from the tires. Never been a fan of tire shine products. IMO they look much better with a nice clean black look.

ihaveacamaro 02-19-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godeepdown (Post 6172420)
All the instructions say is a thoroughly with a high quality cleaner.
Not sure if that meant car wash, wheel cleaner, or what. I went with hot water and dish soap with a wash mitt, thought it would help remove any oily residue on the surface. Probably not what they had in mind but I want something that would fit in with my normal washing routine. I normally use a car wash liquid with a mitt. I thought the dish soap would be stronger. If I have to go out and buy a special cleaner etc.. Then I am happy with the way I have been doing it. With all the taping and waiting to spray coats it takes ten times as long to apply.

gotcha, in my experience even dish soap is nowhere near strong enough to remove silicone containing dressings. In my opinion, that may have been the issue. But yeah as you said, whatever time you may save is spent just on the prep work lol.

meissen 07-19-2013 01:17 PM

How dry were the tires? I was just checking to see if anyone else did a review before I posted, and I'm almost positive your tires were still damp when you applied the product or you had some residual tire shine product on the tires...

kostnkost 07-19-2013 01:46 PM

That kind of looks like a sunburn I got a few years back while roofing. Looks painful!

GEEKFREEKSCOTTY 07-19-2013 05:14 PM

Do NOT use this stuff (or Turtle Wax's version) anywhere near Plasti-Dip..

Just... don't.

GEEKFREEKSCOTTY 07-19-2013 05:15 PM

your best bet is a good quality tire gel and an applicator.

meissen 07-19-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEEKFREEKSCOTTY (Post 6798074)

Just... don't.

I just posted a review further down. I haven't had any problem on two of my cars, and I've had it on my 5th gen for over a month with over 1,000 miles. I'm positive something in the prep was done wrong on these tires (no offense to the OP) - either they were too wet or there was some past tire gel residue still on the tires.

That said -- I bet if the OP sprays another LIGHT layer of tire coat on the tires now that the brown will go away.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308140

I would NEVER use gel again after using this stuff - it works great and it lasts MUCH longer!

kostnkost 07-19-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEEKFREEKSCOTTY (Post 6798074)

Just... don't.

Good to know! If this stuff does this to tires, I can only imagine what it would do to my dipped rims. I will stick to SVRT until I find something better. That might be a while though.