Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Wheels/Tires (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Tires! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218944)

Mr. Wyndham 04-25-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKreme15 (Post 4867032)
If the PTM is designed with the OEM tire in mind...what about all that testing in cold weather at the nurburgring in the Pirellis? :iono:

You planning to race the ZL1 on Pirelli Scorpions? ;)

Stabilitrac works as normal...the car in general works as normal....but PTM "predicts"...and in order to OPTIMALLY predict (the best possible, that is), it needs to know what the tires are going to do under different situations. It knows what F1 G:2s will do.

EDIT: Did you mean Pirelli Pzeros at the 'Ring?

KKreme15 04-25-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 4867056)
You planning to race the ZL1 on Pirelli Scorpions? ;)

Stabilitrac works as normal...the car in general works as normal....but PTM "predicts"...and in order to OPTIMALLY predict (the best possible, that is), it needs to know what the tires are going to do under different situations. It knows what F1 G:2s will do.

EDIT: Did you mean Pirelli Pzeros at the 'Ring?

Yeah I'm talking about the winter tire recommendation

Mr. Wyndham 04-25-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKreme15 (Post 4867089)
Yeah I'm talking about the winter tire recommendation

I'd have to just copy/paste what I said above....I can't be certain....but I feel 99% confident in saying that the PTM system wasn't designed with Pirelli winter tire numbers plugged in.

tooslow 04-26-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16floz470ml (Post 4866335)
It is my understanding that they designed the Goodyear tire specifically for the ZL1. How many cars can say that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 4866965)
But it's not. :) You'll have to trust me. The overall design is the same between the two. They are...after all, a Goodyear F1 Eagle G:2 Supercar tire....however, Chevy worked with Goodyear to make subtle changes in the tread pattern to suit the ZL1's needs.

You're killing me here. Goodyear must a heck of a deal going for custom tires, as they did the exact same thing for the GT500 back in 2010 for the 2011 GT500.

Quote:

The SVT Performance Package features the first application of the all-new Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G: 2, a tire that offers superb dry traction and precise handling, complete with a high-performance tread compound with more grip. SVT engineers worked directly with Goodyear to develop the new compound, and it’s only available on the 2011 Shelby GT500.
http://media.ford.com/article_print.cfm?press_id=5777

GT500's get tires that are no less special than what the ZL1 does.

actireman 04-26-2012 06:57 AM

Guys, the tire manufactuers have been doing this forever. It is nothing new. If they had it thier way they wouldn't, but its the car companys that make them do it. If you open a Tire rack book you will see a ton of tires that are vehicle specific. It makes it a complete pain in the ass for us tire dealers because a certain size and make, may be made with two or three differences for different cars or trucks.

Happy_Dan 04-26-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooslow (Post 4861098)
So, you really feel like the Goodyears are "super sticky"? Really? And it really sucks for ZL1 owners if what you say is true about the PTM and they cannot opt for better tires.

Your unflappable enthusiasm is refreshing and always welcome.

Oh sorry, wrong post. ;)

Blue Menace 04-26-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy_Dan (Post 4868128)

Oh sorry, wrong post. ;)

:sm0:

Modern07 04-26-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Oh sorry, wrong post. ;)

:thumbup:

MrDew 04-26-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 4866965)
But it's not. :) You'll have to trust me. The overall design is the same between the two. They are...after all, a Goodyear F1 Eagle G:2 Supercar tire....however, Chevy worked with Goodyear to make subtle changes in the tread pattern to suit the ZL1's needs.

So how does the average joe know which tire to get? Is there a difference in the part# for the ZL1 specific tire?

tooslow 04-26-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Oh sorry, wrong post. ;)

So I need to gush about Goodyear F1:G2 tires now, just because that was the tire GM chose to go with on the ZL1? This thread is a discussion about tires, not what an awesome vehicle the ZL1 is! In my experience, the Goodyear F1 supercar series of tires are a mixed bag. They do, as Dragoneye has discussed, provide good ride quality and excellent handling characteristics, but they leave a lot to be desired from traction from a dig standpoint. If ZL1 owners think they are going to go to the strip and heat up the stock Goodyears and consistently cut 60ft times better than 1.9 on them, they are in for a rude awakening. It's even worse on an unprepped surface.

Besides, I think there is more than enough "enthusiasm" on the site to offset any perceived lack thereof on my part.

radz28 04-26-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooslow (Post 4869632)
So I need to gush about Goodyear F1:G2 tires now, just be ause that was the tire GM chose to go with on the ZL1? This thread is a discussion about tires, not what an awesome vehicle the ZL1 is! In my experience, the Goodyear F1 supercar series of tires are a mixed bag. They do, as Dragoneye has discussed, provide good ride quality and excellent handling characteristics, but they leave a lot to be desired from traction from a dig standpoint. If ZL1 owners think they are going to go to the strip and heat up the stock Goodyears and consistently cut 60ft times better than 1.9 on them, they are in for a rude awakening. It's even worse on an unprepped surface.

Besides, I think there is more than enough "enthusiasm" on the site to offset any perceived lack thereof on my part.

I've had not even indirect experience with these particular Goodyears, but my brother had a pair of 315 GSD3s on the rear of his '02, and those things were d@mn sticky. I notice the inner tread pattern is similar in design to the 'D3s, and wonder if the compound is similar, too, because those things just bit, relative to a street tire. I think that a 1.9 60' is a great time for a street tire that's also for road course use. I'm still not completely sold on the G2s, but they are performing better than I expected.

Mr. Wyndham 04-26-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDew (Post 4868749)
So how does the average joe know which tire to get? Is there a difference in the part# for the ZL1 specific tire?

There are. When I had to get my left front replaced due to a screw being stuck in there....the service manager at the desk was able to identify the Left-Front tire for the ZL1.

It's not too difficult...the fronts are directional, and 285 wide. The rears are directional, and 305 wide. You cannot rotate, you cannot swap sides...wellll...I guess you could...but :help:!!

The only thing I had to be real careful of was to make sure the guy ordering the tire didn't mistakenly order the SVT GT500's rear tires for the ZL1's front. They are the same size/width...But not the same tread pattern or load rating -- and it's the load-rating that will give the two away: GT500 has a lower rating.

If you hit "specs" below the picture, you'll see the small confusion you need to wade through to get the right tires.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....upercar+G%3A+2

[QUOTE=tooslow;4869632 In my experience, the Goodyear F1 supercar series of tires are a mixed bag. They do, as Dragoneye has discussed, provide good ride quality and excellent handling characteristics, but they leave a lot to be desired from traction from a dig standpoint. If ZL1 owners think they are going to go to the strip and heat up the stock Goodyears and consistently cut 60ft times better than 1.9 on them, they are in for a rude awakening. It's even worse on an unprepped surface.[/QUOTE]

:iono: I guess we'll see how they perform in the long-term, with some more people, more miles, and in better weather around the country...For right now, I think they rock...and if PTM works best with them, I'm not feeling awful compelled to look for a different tire. :cool:

tooslow 04-26-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 4872957)
There are. When I had to get my left front replaced due to a screw being stuck in there....the service manager at the desk was able to identify the Left-Front tire for the ZL1.

It's not too difficult...the fronts are directional, and 285 wide. The rears are directional, and 305 wide. You cannot rotate, you cannot swap sides...wellll...I guess you could...but :help:!!

The only thing I had to be real careful of was to make sure the guy ordering the tire didn't mistakenly order the SVT GT500's rear tires for the ZL1's front. They are the same size/width...But not the same tread pattern or load rating -- and it's the load-rating that will give the two away: GT500 has a lower rating.

If you hit "specs" below the picture, you'll see the small confusion you need to wade through to get the right tires.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....upercar+G%3A+2

:iono: I guess we'll see how they perform in the long-term, with some more people, more miles, and in better weather around the country...For right now, I think they rock...and if PTM works best with them, I'm not feeling awful compelled to look for a different tire. :cool:

Yeah, I get it. This is your first real high-performance vehicle and you have no frame of reference as to what you might be missing by sticking with what the factory gave you. You paid a lot of money for the car, so I understand why you might not want to monkey with what they gave you stock. It's not uncommon, when you step up from something else into a car like the ZL1, to feel like it is the best car ever, but eventually once the new wears off, you'll likely consider that even the ZL1 designers had to compromise some thing to ensure it met the price point GM wanted for it and delivered dependable performance to anyone who bought one.

KKreme15 04-26-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooslow (Post 4873590)
Yeah, I get it. This is your first real high-performance vehicle and you have no frame of reference as to what you might be missing by sticking with what the factory gave you. You paid a lot of money for the car, so I understand why you might not want to monkey with what they gave you stock. It's not uncommon, when you step up from something else into a car like the ZL1, to feel like it is he best car ever, but eventually once the new wers off, you'll likely consider that even the ZL1 designers had to compromise some thing to ensure it met the price point GM wanted for it and delivered dependable performance to anyone who bought one.

Nah dude, don't you know, the ZL1 is perfect! :rolleyes:

edit -LOL Just saw the text beneath your username