Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Driveshaft hitting heat shield? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199011)

PQ 03-07-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yotaman96 (Post 4605674)
It's a 1 piece aluminum shaft. Nothing wrong with the bolts.

Still has to bolt on to the dampeners on each end???

yotaman96 03-07-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 4605849)
Still has to bolt on to the dampeners on each end???

Yes, but I've had it off several times trying to figure out the issue. There's nothing wrong with the bolts. I may put the stock driveshaft in and see if I still have issues. I'll have to get some new bolts since I didn't keep mine. Plus, if that's the problem, I'll have to get another driveshaft and swap again. I just want it fixed. I'm tired of messing with it.

Squintz Palladoris 03-07-2012 05:22 PM

More than likely the Driveshaft itself is not at fault. Something is not lining up in your car like it should.

Sounds like something is flexing.

Check the Diff bushings and the transmission mount and motor mounts.

Also check the cradle bushings.

If the fuel tank has ever been removed it may not be seated all the way. Same with the heat shield.

Good Luck!

PQ 03-07-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yotaman96 (Post 4606014)
Yes, but I've had it off several times trying to figure out the issue. There's nothing wrong with the bolts. I may put the stock driveshaft in and see if I still have issues. I'll have to get some new bolts since I didn't keep mine. Plus, if that's the problem, I'll have to get another driveshaft and swap again. I just want it fixed. I'm tired of messing with it.

Well if you took the drive shaft out yourself then you would know.

Hell, other than checking of the mounts and bushings I haven't got a clue.

Before I replaced my drive shaft when the hanger bearing came unpressed I had a similar deal. Only on acceleration would it shake. Replaced the stock shaft (with another stock shaft) and all was good.

BUT, I had a noise AND it was a two piece shaft. Obviously yours isn't doing that with no bearing in the middle.

yotaman96 03-07-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris (Post 4606087)
More than likely the Driveshaft itself is not at fault. Something is not lining up in your car like it should.

Sounds like something is flexing.

Check the Diff bushings and the transmission mount and motor mounts.

Also check the cradle bushings.

If the fuel tank has ever been removed it may not be seated all the way. Same with the heat shield.

Good Luck!

The fuel tank has been out, but the issue was there before I took it out. I put solid mounts in the cradle when the fuel tank was out. Motor mounts, trans mount, and differential bushings appear to be fine. The problem started after the LS Fest where I autocrossed and took two runs down the drag strip. The driveshaft wasn't assembled properly and when I put some power to it, it crushed some of the aluminum in the driveshaft. I sent the driveshaft back, they rebuilt it and I received the same one back.

Whipped416 03-07-2012 07:16 PM

put stock driveshaft back on and then try it !

jrod_z28 05-09-2012 10:46 AM

Did you ever get the issue fixed? I'm getting a heat shield rattle and can't seem to figure out where its hitting.

PQ 05-09-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrod_z28 (Post 4934785)
Did you ever get the issue fixed? I'm getting a heat shield rattle and can't seem to figure out where its hitting.

If you have the stock mufflers it could be that. Sounds like what you'd expect from a heat shield rattle. I had it bad when I had the stock cans on.

These things are so hard to find sometimes.

yotaman96 05-09-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrod_z28 (Post 4934785)

Yes, the driveshaft was not assembled properly from DSS.

PQ 05-09-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yotaman96 (Post 4934922)
Yes, the driveshaft was not assembled properly from DSS.

Well thatnks for the update doo doo head. :laugh:

That's awesome. Glad to hear it's all good.

I'd like a better DS. I couldn't believe how thin these things are when I replaced my broken one for another stocker.

yotaman96 05-09-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 4934991)
Well thatnks for the update doo doo head. :laugh:

That's awesome. Glad to hear it's all good.

I'd like a better DS. I couldn't believe how thin these things are when I replaced my broken one for another stocker.

My bad. Been dealing with other issues.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...o/7640ba89.jpg

PQ 05-09-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yotaman96 (Post 4935680)
My bad. Been dealing with other issues.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...o/7640ba89.jpg

Holy crap. What kind of power did THAT? :confused0068:

yotaman96 05-09-2012 01:49 PM

625 at the wheels and some wheel hop. DSS said that driveshaft had a defective weld. It was 2 days old.

pyr0b0y 05-09-2012 01:54 PM

I had the same issue with my driveshaft hitting the heat shield. We have to bend the shield up so it would stop hitting. I also have a lot of vibration abouve 90mph, rotated the DS a couple time and it temporarily fixes the vibration but it doesn't go away completely.