Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Trailing arms and toe rods (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218623)

armysig 04-23-2012 03:56 PM

Trailing arms and toe rods

I have a set of toe rods and trailing arms from BMR on my SS right now. I was wondering if I took them off will they fit on the ZL-1?

radz28 04-24-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armysig (Post 4852727)
I have a set of toe rods and trailing arms from BMR on my SS right now. I was wondering if I took them off will they fit on the ZL-1?

Aren't they the same minus the improved ZL1 bushings? That's my understanding... Even if the tie rods are a different design (which I'm thinking I might remember that...) there has been no mention of knuckle design changes, so they should swing the knuckle off of the subframe just the same as your SS it seems to me. I wish I could offer a confirmed answer...

I need to update the FAQ, lol...

BMR Sales 04-24-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armysig (Post 4852727)

The BMR trailing arms and toe rods should fit a new ZL1 Camaro without any issue. :D

Apex Motorsports 04-24-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMR Sales (Post 4858952)
The BMR trailing arms and toe rods should fit a new ZL1 Camaro without any issue. :D

:headbang:

armysig 04-25-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMR Sales (Post 4858952)

I was looking at some of the pictures from VIR with the tilted ZL-1 and it looks like GM used the crappy stamped toe road and trailing arm. Thanks for the post! Love your guys parts.

I'm taking the parts off this weekend, I should be getting my ZL-1 in the next week or 2. Once I have it I'll install them to confirm.

iHasCamaro 04-25-2012 02:14 AM

Does the zl1 need them? The SS does and then some, but the ZL1 has better suspension. Just curious.

2012ZL1 04-25-2012 08:10 AM

What is the advantage of these parts on the ZL1?

armysig 04-26-2012 09:32 AM

Well the advantage of the parts on the Camaro is that it will keep the vehicle from doing wheel hop. The stock parts tend to twist and flex, thus producing the wheel hop you see in some Camaros.

This can only help the PTM system as when it reads data from the sensors it will not have to do major adjustments to the car as it launches.

BMR Sales 04-26-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armysig (Post 4861387)
I was looking at some of the pictures from VIR with the tilted ZL-1 and it looks like GM used the crappy stamped toe road and trailing arm. Thanks for the post! Love your guys parts.

I'm taking the parts off this weekend, I should be getting my ZL-1 in the next week or 2. Once I have it I'll install them to confirm.

You are correct. GM did improve upon the rubber bushings in the factory toe rods but they still use the stamped steel toe rods and trailing arms which are prone to deflection which leads to wheel hop. Our parts will definitely be an upgrade over the factory ZL1 parts.

If you could get some installation pictures and pictures of the car it would be greatly appreciated. I would like them for my records and also to show off our BMR Suspension customers cars.

Kyle

radz28 04-26-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armysig (Post 4868609)
Well the advantage of the parts on the Camaro is that it will keep the vehicle from doing wheel hop. The stock parts tend to twist and flex, thus producing the wheel hop you see in some Camaros.

This can only help the PTM system as when it reads data from the sensors it will not have to do major adjustments to the car as it launches.

:word:

Regardless of the improvements of the bushings on ZL1, I still plan on a full complement of bushings from one of our Sponsors. I'm not sure I'll replace any arms, yet, but I'm definately going to be doing bushings near the top of my mod' list - cetainly before significant power upgrades.

IMHO - you have to have a solid foundation before you can start making power; it won't be any use if the car can't put it to the ground. There's nothing more funny to me than a 600 horse' car running 13s at the track, lol.

BMR Sales 04-26-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz28 (Post 4868867)
IMHO - you have to have a solid foundation before you can start making power; it won't be any use if the car can't put it to the ground. There's nothing more funny to me than a 600 horse' car running 13s at the track, lol.

This is definitely the way we think here at BMR Suspension. You to have a good foundation to really get the full potential out of the vehicle.:D