Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   4th Generation Camaros (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Is an LSD worth it? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174475)

Zabo 10-02-2011 10:08 AM

Won't in the bird in a long while. Took some measurements and turns out I'm only half done with that ass end right now. Probably going to pull it apart again at some point, have the DRIVERS side cut off and rewelded, thus giving a wider rear stance on the car which the passenger side got..

And I like it. 315/275 cruising offset with some 17s.. needs to be done. Oh, and TC on and off on these cars actually lends to the axle really being tamed. Just remembered this how last night I was just farting around and turned it off and on in testing my rear and there is a noticeable difference. Probably more pronounced in V6 cars due to the TC wanting to kill launches across the board.

insidethreat07 10-02-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zabo (Post 3830470)
- No, he wouldn't. He's got a series II 3800 w/ options. Swallowing my pride here and saying that between my V6 bashing then, and now.. I've actually gained respect for little 6es. Especially when one can out track me on a road course with upgraded suspension. :iono:

- I know you can't have TC on to light some rubber. I'm saying if he wants drivability out of a gearset like that which will put a good amount of the 3800's power to the ground in straights and twisties he should probably invest in a TC rear that he can turn it on and off. On prevents it from slipping when you don't want to, off equals super happy fun time.

I do have a TC rear lol I have a 4 channel. And I think you talked me into a Eaton one whenever I decide to get one. I was researching both of them and a lot more people recommened Eaton or Auburn

insidethreat07 10-02-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluetorp (Post 3830073)

Doesnt a mini spool mean that it is full time posi all the time?

CamaroSpike23 10-02-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethreat07 (Post 3830616)
I do have a TC rear lol I have a 4 channel. And I think you talked me into a Eaton one whenever I decide to get one. I was researching both of them and a lot more people recommened Eaton or Auburn

for the price you are looking at (plus installation costs ~$600 on average). you'd be better off buying a slightly used 4 channel rear from a v8 car and swapping it in. at least that you can do for cheap in your driveway.

insidethreat07 10-02-2011 11:07 AM

Yea I have been told to go that route too. A guy I know said he would put it in for me and hardly charge me anything. I have been looking atound for 12 bolts in my area and they all are pretty $$$. I just wanted your guys input on this. I'm gonna have to put this project off for a little bit since I'm buying Remys wheels off him.

CamaroSpike23 10-02-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethreat07 (Post 3830688)
Yea I have been told to go that route too. A guy I know said he would put it in for me and hardly charge me anything. I have been looking atound for 12 bolts in my area and they all are pretty $$$. I just wanted your guys input on this. I'm gonna have to put this project off for a little bit since I'm buying Remys wheels off him.

you can find a decent mileage v8 rear for around $2-300 if not less. just gotta keep your eyes peeled. plenty of guys swapping them out for 12 bolts, S60's, 9"s etc.

and its really the easiest option. and like I said, you can do the swap yourself if you have some basic hand tools. dont know if you have disc or drum brakes in the rear, but that would be one pont to keep an eye on. Z28 4th gens were disc brake rears, and I know some v6s got drums and others got discs.

if you have drums, you would need to get a set of rear brakes either with the rear or from a junk yard.

hell, you could check out some local junkyards and find the whole thing for $50.00 brakes and all. :thumbsup:

insidethreat07 10-02-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 3831144)
you can find a decent mileage v8 rear for around $2-300 if not less. just gotta keep your eyes peeled. plenty of guys swapping them out for 12 bolts, S60's, 9"s etc.

and its really the easiest option. and like I said, you can do the swap yourself if you have some basic hand tools. dont know if you have disc or drum brakes in the rear, but that would be one pont to keep an eye on. Z28 4th gens were disc brake rears, and I know some v6s got drums and others got discs.

if you have drums, you would need to get a set of rear brakes either with the rear or from a junk yard.

hell, you could check out some local junkyards and find the whole thing for $50.00 brakes and all. :thumbsup:

Good advice, mine came with disc brakes

CamaroSpike23 10-02-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethreat07 (Post 3831188)
Good advice, mine came with disc brakes

that makes it a little easier, the other tricky part... I cant remember if the rear brakes are the same size across the two models or not.

but like I said, go to a junk yard, pull the whole assembly off as one. all you have to do is disconnect the driveshaft, the lower control arms, the shocks and disconnect the brake lines from the calipers and (IIRC) unbolt one or two of the diff cover bolts to remove the crossover line for the brakes. then swap it all to your car. tho if you can get the rear shocks and springs, pick them up as well as I do know that the rear suspension (at least the shocks) are different/better/something.

to pull them, you have to lay the back seat forward, then pull the carpet back and there are two foam "covers" over the top of each of the shocks. pull the foam and unbolt them.

helmincamaro 10-02-2011 02:45 PM

just say no to drugs! :laugh:

http://www.motifake.com/image/demoti...1227710598.jpg

insidethreat07 10-02-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helmincamaro (Post 3831236)

:facepalm:

Zabo 10-02-2011 06:19 PM

If you don't want the 3.42 I told ya about, just let me know. Gonna pitch it if I can't find a buyer within a month.

insidethreat07 10-02-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zabo (Post 3831763)
If you don't want the 3.42 I told ya about, just let me know. Gonna pitch it if I can't find a buyer within a month.

Prob not thanks anyways tho man. If I cant find anything Im prob just gonna end up getting a eaton posi and call it done lol. My project now is buying remys wheels and tires off him:headbang: