Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   LSX 454 Swap : Helpful tips! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213578)

PewterPredator 04-01-2012 10:01 PM

LSX 454 Swap : Helpful tips!

Just like the title says this is a list of things that i hope will help some of you guys out if you ever decide to go with the LSX 454 from GM, I'm sure most of you guys know this and for those that i don't i hope you find this helpful, i learned the hard way and after having the motor in and out several times and im simply doing this so you guys can have a smooth install... First off i wanna thank NC-V, he has helped me a lot with this swap and i can't thank him enough, great guy!

First of all i wanna list the sensors that you will have to swap over from your stock LS3 to the LSX.. If any of you run the LS7 setup like i did, most people run the FAST setup but unfortunately i couldn't afford to go with that right now... With that being said, the intake sensor located on the front of the intake near the TB is different, BUT you will have to make the whole a little bigger on the LS7 intake for the LS3 sensor to fit, Another is the rear oil sensor, located behind the intake will also have to be changed... Every other sensor will work..

The oil coolor that located on the driver side of the pan was one thing that kinda worried me during the swap until i got the motor out its simple, pull back the black round cover and remove the clip and the tube will come right out, on the LSX there will be a freeze plug located driver side front "there should be 3 of them" the front one is the one you use, this allen head is a 17mm, take that out remove the fitting from the LS3.. Place it on the LSX and bolt it all back up! Slide the tube up push the clip in and slide the black cover back up on it..

This is one of the most important parts for me, i had the motor in the car almost complete when i went to put the ac belt on the motor wouldn't turn over.. So to me this is the most crucial part... The LSX comes with a windage tray that is deeper for the crank, this tray will NOT work with the LS3 pan, i tried trimming it to work but it still will not work.. You will have to space out the LS3 windage tray a 1/4in and it will clear, I used 1/4in washers on each stud and it worked perfect..

This is the final thing i can think that i had to change/modify.. The a/c bracket will have to be trimmed down a little for it to fit flush against the block and so the bolts will line up..

One more thing.. My local dealer i ordered my motor from recommended the LSA clutch/flywheel, which is the clutch out of the new CTS-V.. This clutch will NOT work will factory LS3 slave.. I learned the hard way with this so i would def steer clear of the clutch setup..

Thats about it, i hope somebody can find these tips helpful!

Billy :D

xx_ED_xx 04-01-2012 10:06 PM

and dont add a blower to an lsx454 or pop goes the weasel

The Stig 04-01-2012 10:06 PM

You should talk to Dangeruss and/or Darth Emma. I know off the top of my head that they have LSXs. Can't think of anybody else atm though

PewterPredator 04-01-2012 10:35 PM

I have got mine together, just waiting on clutch and it will be ready to rock, i'll get some pics as soon as i can! Dang didn't know they were popping under boost... What about spray??

Billy

xx_ED_xx 04-01-2012 10:47 PM

yeah its a lil diferent when it is purpose built, but when you go buy a complete NA lsx454 and just throw a blower on it and then get mad because it blew up. search the old threads it is in there

NC-V 04-02-2012 05:55 AM

Glad you got it worked out and back together! Feel free to give me a shout if you need anything else or when you are ready to do your clutch!

registrationsticker 04-02-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx (Post 4741107)
and dont add a blower to an lsx454 or pop goes the weasel

i think you may be wrong. i looked at older posts and found this that dr jamie meyer of gm said you can do it. i copied and pasted below:

-MaxChevy Magazine Volume III, Issue 3, Page 52
Dr Jamie Meyer Interview Product Integration Manager for GM Performance Parts
“I don’t think we’ve ever had anything like what this LSX 454 will be with all-forged internals and cylinder heads that flow close to 400cfm. With a power adder on that, you’d be able to quickly create a 1,200 or 1,300 horsepower street car.”

certainly if dr jamie meyer says it can be done, it must be the truth.

v8 04-02-2012 07:35 PM

Thanks for the info

PewterPredator 04-03-2012 11:53 AM

No Problem!

Vette TPI 04-03-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by registrationsticker (Post 4743898)
i think you may be wrong. i looked at older posts and found this that dr jamie meyer of gm said you can do it. i copied and pasted below:

“I don’t think we’ve ever had anything like what this LSX 454 will be with all-forged internals and cylinder heads that flow close to 400cfm. With a power adder on that, you’d be able to quickly create a 1,200 or 1,300 horsepower street car.”

I still don't trust that, I read a couple stories on here about the 454 going out with a supercharger on top and he didn't reach 1000. I'd at least change for forged low comp pistons.

xx_ED_xx 04-03-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by registrationsticker (Post 4743898)

Yeah and someone did that and it blew up on the dyno. as i said there is a whole post or two about it, if i cared about the posters name i would remember it. He took this dr jackasses advice and it cost him a pretty penny. I posted in the thread so search for old post I made. I am sure you will find it. I even made a comment before it blew up about him not taking it apart and setting it up for boost. He called me an idiot and then it blew up.

jeremywilson18 04-03-2012 08:09 PM

I didn't run in to that many problems but we did change the slave. I do believe spay works very well under high compression and will be safe on the 454. My only issue on the install was that my pockets weren't deep enough and I'll be paying for a while

registrationsticker 04-04-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremywilson18 (Post 4751554)
I do believe spay works very well under high compression and will be safe on the 454.

i'm sure you wont have core shift in the lsx454 block causing thin cylinder walls . spray away at will with confidence, because you purchased a crate lsx motor and there is no logical reason to tear it completely apart for sonic testing.

Sack Rat 2SS 04-04-2012 05:21 PM

Pewter Predator - Nice tips on the install and things to work through. I would recommend you get a larger radiator like from Ron Davis. The iron block retains more heat than alloy plus you are cooling 80 more cubic inches. It is one of those things that can only help and not hurt. Good insurance for the money IMHO. Good Luck. :chevy: