Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Nose/bumper section difficulties (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252932)

ChadG 09-29-2012 09:25 PM

Nose/bumper section difficulties

I have my technique dialed in fairly well for the rest of the car and am happy with my finish on everything except the nose of the car. For some reason I can't seem to dial it in. I've tried using both 4 inch and 6 inch pads (the six inch are just about as wide as the nose section) and can't seem to get it to the level of finish as the rest of the car. I'm using a PC with Adam's products and keeping it a speed of 5, as far as pressure goes - I put a piece of blue painter's tape on the back of my backplate and use enough pressure so that it rotates slowly (one rotation a second or so).

I think there are probably a couple of issues at play here, but I'd really like some advice on how to attack it. Should I be using more pressure, a different size pad, higher speed?

Rewatching Junkman's video's I think I'm probably using too much pressure, but I'm interested to hear what kind of techniques people have used on this part of the car with success.

CamaroDreams07 09-29-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChadG (Post 5636444)
I have my technique dialed in fairly well for the rest of the car and am happy with my finish on everything except the nose of the car. For some reason I can't seem to dial it in. I've tried using both 4 inch and 6 inch pads (the six inch are just about as wide as the nose section) and can't seem to get it to the level of finish as the rest of the car. I'm using a PC with Adam's products and keeping it a speed of 5, as far as pressure goes - I put a piece of blue painter's tape on the back of my backplate and use enough pressure so that it rotates slowly (one rotation a second or so).

I think there are probably a couple of issues at play here, but I'd really like some advice on how to attack it. Should I be using more pressure, a different size pad, higher speed?

Rewatching Junkman's video's I think I'm probably using too much pressure, but I'm interested to hear what kind of techniques people have used on this part of the car with success.

I agree with you, the nose is a bear to get right. I have the best luck using a smaller pad and lighter pressure. Let it spin a little more freely. I like to use that light pressure technique on flimsier plastic panels. Seems to work better for me.

*In life, there are no nandroids*

WiSSDiver 09-30-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 5636703)
I agree with you, the nose is a bear to get right. I have the best luck using a smaller pad and lighter pressure. Let it spin a little more freely. I like to use that light pressure technique on flimsier plastic panels. Seems to work better for me.

*In life, there are no nandroids*

Agree with CD07. I also throw a bit more wax, DS and the real pop for me on both the hood and front bumper has been the Pinical 360 Spray wax that CD07 mentioned a while back. For some reason it just helps everything look better and it helps the bumpers blend better. At least it does on Rally Yellow.

ChadG 09-30-2012 07:25 PM

Ok thanks guys, I tried both 4 and 6 inch pads and couldn't tell which was giving better results but it's reassuring to hear that lighter pressure might do the trick. I probably wasn't getting high enough rotational speed to do much correction because of the give of the plastic.