Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Questions about Torque Management-LS3 Manual (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288185)

f5journal 04-09-2013 08:42 AM

Questions about Torque Management-LS3 Manual

Can anyone tell me definitively whether TM is in play during the initial start-up Open Loop operation of the vehicle.

No guessing allowed ;)

Iam Broke 04-09-2013 09:35 AM

There are no TM vs ERT (engine run time) tables (so I won't guess) but why wouldn't they be in play all the time?

Until it's warmed up in CL I wouldn't want to whup on it anyway. I try to wait until the oil is over 200*f.

When you go WOT it's open loop anyway.

There are closed loop vs ERT tables & factors upon startup.

DuskSS 04-09-2013 09:45 AM

I know after they were removed via tune the car is a whole different animal for sure.

f5journal 04-09-2013 11:29 AM

OK, the point of my question has to do with the way my car runs in open loop vrs closed. It has incredibly more throttle response and spins the tires easily until it goes into closed loop.

So, although I have a JRE tune in which I am pretty sure TM is dialed down some, I am wondering if the open loop difference in performance might be that there is no TM during that period.

Iambroke, I asked a leading question on another thread where you had posted HP screen shot of TM table..I'm looking to be able to tweek a few things myself.

aj2ssrs 04-09-2013 11:37 AM

GM limits torque to 280 ft lbs at 3,000 rpm and lower in all gears. I know Ted disabled this when he tuned mine.

Iam Broke 04-09-2013 11:50 AM

How fast does it go into closed loop? Mine only takes a minute. There's a table for that. :D

It may be tuned richer in OL. Closed loop it controls at stoich.

f5journal 04-09-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iam Broke (Post 6402616)
How fast does it go into closed loop? Mine only takes a minute. There's a table for that. :D

It may be tuned richer in OL. Closed loop it controls at stoich.

I cannot say for sure, but it seems like about 4-5 minutes. I can get out of the neighborhood, and nail it on the main 2-lane road. By the time I make the next turn about a mile or so up the road it is a different car.

I kept thinking it was all cold tires, but that is bull. There is something happening in the open loop that needs to be changed in my tune (I think)

And TM/throttle delay, something similar appears to be it to me.

Iam Broke 04-09-2013 06:15 PM

I guess you better ask Ted about it then.

f5journal 04-10-2013 08:48 AM

will do ..thanks all

Bucci 04-10-2013 09:18 PM

Apoloigies for not understanding, but what is the loop that you are talkng about?

Surely my car feels like it has a tremoundous amount of power at times and at other times much less...:iono:

Have been wondering about it when i came across your thread.

chef-beavis 04-10-2013 10:23 PM

The car runs in what is referred to as Open Loop until it reaches certain parameters including engine temp. The O2 sensors feedback is not controlling the mixture via the ECM. The car runs on a preset table for fuel and spark that was programmed into tue ECM.

When all of the criteria are met the O2 sensors provide feedback and this allows the ECM to adjust fuel and other things live, based upon the feedback. This is called Closed Loop, as the engine is being adjusted real time based on measurements relative to its performance.

Bucci 04-11-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef-beavis (Post 6409639)
The car runs in what is referred to as Open Loop until it reaches certain parameters including engine temp. The O2 sensors feedback is not controlling the mixture via the ECM. The car runs on a preset table for fuel and spark that was programmed into tue ECM.

When all of the criteria are met the O2 sensors provide feedback and this allows the ECM to adjust fuel and other things live, based upon the feedback. This is called Closed Loop, as the engine is being adjusted real time based on measurements relative to its performance.

Many thanks for the explanation!:respekt: I had no idea... will do some research and get up to speed...

Thanks Again!

grocerygetter 04-11-2013 10:58 PM

becareful beating on a cold engine. I try to limit rpms and throttle input until you are up to running temps. many things such as valve springs etc will thank you.

MA2010SS 04-12-2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grocerygetter (Post 6414047)
becareful beating on a cold engine. I try to limit rpms and throttle input until you are up to running temps. many things such as valve springs etc will thank you.

Agree you shouldn't be running a car hard when the car is cold