Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   ZL1 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307595)

DHSS 07-16-2013 08:35 PM

ZL1

Convince me to buy a ZL1! I have driven two so far. One was very average and actually felt slow (cold night, car had 12 miles on it). 2nd one (different dealer) CRT, was extremely fast, about 90 degrees and chirped thru 3rd gear and back end was constantly breaking loose. Both cars were in whatever mode when you initially start the car up. Im highly considering buying an SS or 1LE and do headers, cam, magnaflow 3" and suspension upgrades.

Help ASAP. purchasing tomorrow.

thanks,
DH

Stephen12ZL1 07-16-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHSS (Post 6786270)
Convince me to buy a ZL1! I have driven two so far. One was very average and actually felt slow (cold night, car had 12 miles on it). 2nd one (different dealer) CRT, was extremely fast, about 90 degrees and chirped thru 3rd gear and back end was constantly breaking loose. Both cars were in whatever mode when you initially start the car up. Im highly considering buying an SS or 1LE and do headers, cam, magnaflow 3" and suspension upgrades.

thanks,
DH

ZL1 is worth the extra money for the magnetic ride technology, better brakes, bigger rear & axles, and styling. The gauge cluster is better looking too. You can justify the extra cost easily when you consider how much those upgrades would cost on an SS or 1LE. The wheel/tire combo is also way better on a ZL1. A few bolt ons and you are flying in a ZL1 which the biggest jump comes at reasonable prices. With only a bigger lower pulley 9.6", 90mm TB, tune, CAI and drag radials, my car would run low 11s all day long. Even with headers, bigger lower ring (10" now), upgraded heat exchanger, and no cats my car isn't much faster. Drive them both again and check the details before your purchase. I love the A6 in my ZL1. Good luck!

cvp33 07-16-2013 08:50 PM

Nah. You got to want one. If someone needs to convince you to buy a $60k car, you'll always regret it. I wanted one and bought one. Didn't need or want anyone else's opinion, its my car payment so my decision. I did ask if $3k off sticker was a good deal, but in the end it's always your decision.

DHSS 07-16-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvp33 (Post 6786339)
Nah. You got to want one. If someone needs to convince you to buy a $60k car, you'll always regret it. I wanted one and bought one. Didn't need or want anyone else's opinion, its my car payment so my decision. I did ask if $3k off sticker was a good deal, but in the end it's always your decision.

Payments arent the issue and the car is definitely badass, just asking from having three C6 vettes and a modded SS, if the car was as fast initially as you guys/gals thought it would be. One just seemed like an average car and not a 580hp.

Sven59 07-16-2013 09:24 PM

If driving it didn't convince you, you shouldn't buy one.

Rodslnger 07-16-2013 09:27 PM

baron just went 10.36 at 135 with boltons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfIk...e_gdata_player

But im with cvp33 if we got to convince you to buy one your mind is made up already. you prolly drove a heat soaked zl1 .

FINALLYSATISFIED 07-16-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHSS (Post 6786270)

thanks,
DH

Convince you? Sounds like to me you can't afford the ZL1. Prove ME otherwise.

AZ2SSRS 07-16-2013 09:41 PM

I don't understnd how a ZL1 could feel "average."
Better to consider what you are comfortable with rather than what we have to say. Either you feel "it" or you don't.

RLHMARINES 07-16-2013 09:43 PM

One might have had low octane gas in it which might explain the difference in performance.

Iroc-ZL1 07-16-2013 09:43 PM

like Sven59 said if driving it didnt convince you its not for you, i fell in love as soon as i walked in the showroom floor

WLNY 07-16-2013 09:46 PM

Don't buy it, you're not ZL1 market type. SS upgrade guys were not Chevy's target buyer when they designed the ZL1.

djnice 07-16-2013 10:02 PM

Why wouldn't you just buy the faster one?

USMC Anti Venom 07-16-2013 10:04 PM

The first Camaro I ever drove was an SS on a test drive. The dealer tried to get me to buy then and there. I told them no that I'm wanting something with more power. A few days later I test drove a ZL1. And now I get my ZL1 around my Birthday next year. Get whatever you are comfortable and happy with. Noone should have to talk you into it. It will be your car and noone elses.

Bigtime53 07-16-2013 10:16 PM

I drove a SS and was not impressed at all with it. I am a GM guy and would not buy anything else. I have owned vettes in the past and liked them but when GM came out with the ZL1 I did not even test drive one,I ordered one! I knew it had to be the best camaro GM ever built and I did not even think twice about ordering it. All I can say to you is I am totally impressed with the car. Besides,you will get more people wanting to look at your ZL1!