Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Severe Oversteer (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293018)

Ntmd8r 05-02-2013 02:54 PM

Severe Oversteer

2012 2SS RS L99 A6 FE4
Stock 20" wheels and P Zero tires.
5500 Miles
My daily driver.

My style of driving is called "Spirited".

I have been autocrossing for over 30 years
(with Corvettes, now with 2007 Corvette LS2 Z51, Pfadt Sway bars, Coil-overs, R888 Tires)

So I do know how a car should handle.

This Camaro is a "beast".

With my spirited driving style, whenever I want to take a corner with gusto
I really have to wait till the car is almost straight after the turn before giving it some gas, otherwise the rearend is coming around to kiss my frontend.

If I merely take a corner too fast, with no acceleration, the rearend starts to slide out, and I have to brake to get rear adhesion.

Usually north american cars have Understeer built in.
But this is severe oversteer.

How about it Suspension guys..... I can't adjust the rear bar on FE4 (I don't think), different bushings ?, alignment ? ...... or ??????

Thanks for any help

(Oh, I do plan to install Michelin PSS tires in a few months... these P Zeros are terrible)

Mikamaro 05-02-2013 03:07 PM

what tire pressure are you using?

jeremywes 05-02-2013 03:21 PM

Is it the same with and without TC on? L99 is an auto trans right? Is it down shifting hard?

SPCBA 05-02-2013 03:57 PM

your stock suspension and have oversteer? i am so confused. if your stock and have oversteer either somethings wrong or you cant drive.

Ntmd8r 05-02-2013 04:42 PM

Mikamaro... 36 lbs
jeremywes... sorry... haven't tried it with TC on.
It is not downshifting at all... just maintaining a good speed around corners.
SPCBA... thanks for your help

HBMike 05-02-2013 04:50 PM

Its shit tires. I run a 285 front 315 rear. Makes a big difference. You also need to set your camber correctly and go to a nice double adjustable coil-over.

Being you're stock it could be your body roll momentum swinging you around. the cars are definitely setup to plow from the factory unless you're turning super sharp.

JDP Sales 05-02-2013 04:50 PM

Your pressure seems okay, and T/C should not matter.

Are you sure you are on stock sway bars? Because you are correct, it should have understeer.

You may consider going to the Pfadt ZL Spec sway bars. They have 3 stiffness adjustment settings front and rear, so you can fine tune the under/over steer to your driving style and tire selection. You also may want to try a more staggered tire setup and put the rubber where you want it.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Iron Lung Jimmy 05-02-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntmd8r (Post 6496733)
If I merely take a corner too fast, with no acceleration, the rearend starts to slide out, and I have to brake to get rear adhesion.

This I do not understand. Applying brakes when the back end is trying to come around should make it worse.

mikeyg36 05-02-2013 05:54 PM

These cars are known for severe understeer, hence the 1LE package. Something isn't right with you or the car. :iono:

fielderLS3 05-02-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyg36 (Post 6497373)
These cars are known for severe understeer, hence the 1LE package. Something isn't right with you or the car. :iono:

^^This. The Camaro has never had a particularly good chassis (at least in terms of handling) without shelling out for a 1LE or ZL1. And the tendency of them at the limit is normally toward significant understeer.

Ntmd8r 05-02-2013 08:40 PM

Iron Lung Jimmy.... I apply the brakes to slow it down..... to stop the rear from sliding out. And that works.

Tyler... I think it is stock FE4... I am not the first owner, but I got it from a dealer so
not sure if anything was done... but everything else was pristine... so I think nothing was done.
FE4 should make it turn better (I expect), and I don't think it is adjustable.

With the new Michelin tires I plan to go with the stock wheels and
285x35 Rear
255x40 Front

And I will make sure I have some camber in the rears with zero toe.

I was just wondering if anyone had any similar action on their car.

Thanks guys, for your input.

Doubleblank 05-03-2013 01:47 PM

As everyone has chimed in, these things are prone to understeer. When I set up my car (F/R coilvers, Pfadt Racing ASB's) at maximum stiffness, I do get a little oversteer. Then I just back off on the rear's settings and seems to get right. Something is way out of whack to get oversteer on stock components

Mikamaro 05-03-2013 03:45 PM

[QUOTE=Ntmd8r;6498184]Iron Lung Jimmy.... I apply the brakes to slow it down..... to stop the rear from sliding out. And that works.

Tyler... I think it is stock FE4... I am not the first owner, but I got it from a dealer so
not sure if anything was done... but everything else was pristine... so I think nothing was done.[QUOTE]

Assuming is not a fact.
Put it on a lift and ask the dealer to check the suspension parts.
If stock, it's not normal...unless you drive like a maniac on purpuse.

Good luck!

Denis 05-04-2013 05:18 AM

thats odd. i wish i had more oversteer. that damn understeer kills me. The suspension is the next thing to be tweeked.