Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Auto is faster?!!!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13676)

Emjay 02-16-2009 10:38 PM

Auto is faster?!!!!

I have ordered months ago, this girl I know ordered to and is convinced auto is faster ... Im not saying it's not I dont know. Hence my question. But heres another question for you ... why get a automatic sports car? Or better yet who even drives automatic? Even my PT cruiser is a stick!

Camaro_Corvette 02-16-2009 10:47 PM

Billions of people drive automatics. To be honest, I wish my monte was a stick. It would be a lot more fun to drive.:(

nester7929 02-16-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjay (Post 293974)
I have ordered months ago, this girl I know ordered to and is convinced auto is faster ... Im not saying it's not I dont know. Hence my question. But heres another question for you ... why get a automatic sports car? Or better yet who even drives automatic? Even my PT cruiser is a stick!

Because a lot of us are lazy or live in hilly areas.

The stick Camaro has 22 more horses, so I'd have to assume it's a tad bit quicker. Probably not enough to be noticeable though.

1_2Many 02-16-2009 10:55 PM

Butt dyno sometimes favors an automatic simply off linear power delivery, but a stick will general put out faster times on a street car.

Andro 02-16-2009 11:02 PM

Cause America loves automatic's and the rest of the world could care less IMO ;)

SyNiKaL 02-16-2009 11:05 PM

I drive automatic, but I have been thinking about learning stick, because I know how much fun it is, on the other hand I am lazy so I don't know.

UCF w00t 02-16-2009 11:08 PM

They should be about even. I think the manual will win with a good to great driver but with a decent to poor driver the auto might come out a bit ahead. The auto should be more consistent since it's a computer doing the shifting. Electronics can shift faster than a human typically but there is a bit of a horsepower differential and inherit benefits of a clutch vs torque converter netting to probably about even performance.

It is my opinion that a manual will be more fun and more engaging so that's what I'm going with. I wouldn't base your decision based off of performance but rather your personal preference.

ChevyBoiSS 02-16-2009 11:40 PM

We would want a stick because we live in serious urban/city areas that would give our thighs and legs workouts from constantly clutching and shifting.. lol by the way we would probablly never be able to fully open it up unless were weaving in and out of expressway traffic... lol no highways in the city.

ChevyBoiSS 02-16-2009 11:40 PM

besides tap-shift should take care of some of that fun for us. plus we get to have automatic start. (In Chicago) and yeahh it gets cold here. thats a must!

TheClassicCarKid 02-17-2009 12:06 AM

I drive an auto. it's not boring, but I'll definitely be getting a manual for my Camaro.

THE EVIL TW1N 02-17-2009 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1_2Many (Post 294016)
Butt dyno sometimes favors an automatic simply off linear power delivery, but a stick will general put out faster times on a street car.

butt dyno's generally favor manuals IMO because they use to have better torque multiplication through the gears and no torque converter slop. Auto's, with the newer 5 and 6 (+) speed transmission, have recently started surpassing manuals in tq multiplication.

r.i.p.01slpss 02-17-2009 12:09 AM

I had a camaro with an automatic. was fun, but not as fun as a manual.

KILLER74Z28 02-17-2009 02:28 AM

M6 is a couple of ticks faster the the A6 from 0-6 and in the 1/4. This info was given to us at Indy by Al... ;)

Silverghost 02-17-2009 04:23 AM

all the top fuel dragsters are auto for a reason..... think about it.