Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Attention New owners with manual transmissions: (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289648)

fgg60 04-16-2013 08:15 AM

Attention New owners with manual transmissions:

Have you gotten your telephone survey yet? This is the one from the GM Engineers not the customer satisfaction survey. They call all new GM owners about a month after you take delivery of your new vehicle to see if there are any issues with your car. This is the perfect place for those of us who dislike HILL START ASSIST (HSA) to voice our concerns!! I told them that I love my new camaro but when they asked me if there were any annoyances, I told them of my dislike of HSA and how it caused me to stall several times and that it would be nice to be able to TURN IT OFF if we wanted.
Maybe if enough of us speak up they will issue an update to the computer to allow disabling or a adjusting HSA.:thumb:

Hey, it’s worth a shot, right!?!
:iono:

Bad@ssCamaro 04-16-2013 08:24 AM

I think you will get quite a few people to agree with you based on what I've been reading over the last year since it was made standard equipment.

yellowrs 04-16-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgg60 (Post 6429091)
Have you gotten your telephone survey yet?:

I never give out my phone number to anybody and always give them my local REJECTION HOTLINE NUMBER.
Even in my credit report I have this as my main number.
Works like a charm :)

Dupree878 04-16-2013 08:48 AM

I never got any call. Purchased in December.

I gave 2 phone numbers, my cell and a 'work' line that's just a google voice number that forwards to my cell.
Either they only call land lines (which would be stupid considering 60% of the country doesn't have one) or they show up as Unknown or Blocked on caller ID which means they won't be answered and won't be given the option to leave voicemail.

I've called customer service myself and they pretty much told me it was a safety feature and they're sorry I was unhappy.

I got a JD Power survey to fill out online then a couple of weeks later got another, much longer and more detailed survey in the mail.

fgg60 04-16-2013 10:43 AM

My Dad bought a Malibu in December and I got my Camaro in March, we both have land lines and we both got calls from a caller ID of " General Motors"......

DagoCountyGee 04-16-2013 12:19 PM

Never got a call...

Supercharged Red 04-16-2013 01:09 PM

My wife's 2012 Sonic 6 speed manual has that. It holds the car for a few seconds when I let off the brake. I love it. Why don't you like the hill assist?

dkp2LT 04-16-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged Red (Post 6430122)
My wife's 2012 Sonic 6 speed manual has that. It holds the car for a few seconds when I let off the brake. I love it. Why don't you like the hill assist?

I don't have a manual but when you say 'a few seconds' is that literal? It would drive me nuts if I want to go but I can't until the car says it's OK.

To the OP - have to agree. If it's a nanny there should be a way to turn it off. Personally I would want control of my vehicle in that situation - I knew how to control my manual vehicles on hills. When I would buy one, one of the first things I would do is go out and find some hills so I could determine how that specific vehicle would handle it.

agent5 04-16-2013 01:44 PM

I have a 2013 SS manual. Honestly, I don't understand what the big deal is. Within a few days/weeks you don't even actively think of it. When I get to uphills I know to take my time moving my foot from the break to the accelerator and ease gently. In fact, I have it down so seamless now that I probably take off without a noticeable "jump" when the break is released.

I can understand how it takes getting used to but it's really an advantage if you learn how to use it (IMHO).

fgg60 04-16-2013 06:59 PM

It's like having a paper route, saving up for a brand new shiny bike, buying it only to find out it comes with training wheels and you can't take them off..........When you have 30+ years of driving a standard it's really hard ( and annoying) to learn a different way to start on hills. I wouldn't mind it near as much if it was 1/2 a second instead of two...and this happens even when I'm trying to pull into my garage. There are dozens of people (especially in the 1LE forum) who hate it even more than I do.

zackex 04-16-2013 07:40 PM

Hill Start sounds stupid as I have posted before isn't that why they put a hand E brake in the car. How do you time 2 seconds and after that does the car roll backwards.

Camss57 04-16-2013 08:17 PM

My wife has an 08 VW Passat with hill assist and we both hate it, but with the VW you actually have the option to turn it on or off. It's actually a feature you need to turn on, meaning it's not on every time you start the car. Yes my wife drives a manual.

:burnrubber:

Dupree878 04-17-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agent5 (Post 6430300)
I have a 2013 SS manual. Honestly, I don't understand what the big deal is. Within a few days/weeks you don't even actively think of it. When I get to uphills I know to take my time moving my foot from the break to the accelerator and ease gently. In fact, I have it down so seamless now that I probably take off without a noticeable "jump" when the break is released.

I can understand how it takes getting used to but it's really an advantage if you learn how to use it (IMHO).

I don't want to "take my time...and ease gently," I want to GO!
Almost had a horrible wreck because I started to pull out into rush hour traffic and the HSA held me and I stalled.

73camarolt 04-17-2013 11:05 AM

I thought I heard HSA deactivated when the clutch started to grab?? He'll if it holds the car that long I prefer the handbrake method if the hill is that bad.