Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Bye-bye Viper (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2510)

Dan 01-10-2008 02:28 PM

Bye-bye Viper

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...l-ar50363.html

Mr. Wyndham 01-10-2008 02:41 PM

No $hit!!!:confused0068:
Wow....I can honestly say that's kinda sad. down 70%; That's really sad. Unbelieveable.

I never liked the car:iono:, but I think we need a moment of silence for the Viper. (Seriously)

Thank you.

EDIT: Oh, and we'll have to see what this author thinks of Chevy and their Muscle Cars come 2009...;)

Myka 01-10-2008 03:04 PM

I was insulted by what they had to say about the Corvette.

Quote:

Over the years, Detroit manufacturers have repeatedly tried to reinvent the muscle car, without actually building one. Ford keeps giving us “Bullitt” Mustangs. Nice, to be sure. But not muscular. They do the GT500 version, and just end up muscle bound. Chevy, on the other hand, has done even more poorly. In the old days, you could order a Vette and check only two boxes on the option sheet: M-22 and 427. Can’t order a Vette with the killer motor and radio delete today, though. The ZR1 probably comes with navigation standard.

stovt001 01-10-2008 05:23 PM

That was a really dumb analysis of muscle cars (they don't have to be strippers to be muscle).

Sad to see the Viper go. It was amazing, something special. It wasn't the best performance car, but there was just something so significant about it. It is probably best that Chrysler let it go, and I worry that they might still be in trouble for a long time, or not even make it through the next few years at all. Sad times. Darn you Daimler! :paddle: :mad0260: :fighting0040:

Bowtie Guy Z28 01-10-2008 05:29 PM

Wow thats kind of a shock....But the ZR1 was going to put it in its place once and for all anyways.:laughabove:

The_Blur 01-10-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stovt001 (Post 38532)
That was a really dumb analysis of muscle cars (they don't have to be strippers to be muscle).

Sad to see the Viper go. It was amazing, something special. It wasn't the best performance car, but there was just something so significant about it. It is probably best that Chrysler let it go, and I worry that they might still be in trouble for a long time, or not even make it through the next few years at all. Sad times. Darn you Daimler! :paddle: :mad0260: :fighting0040:

I'm insulted, too. The Corvette doesn't feature the most luxurious styling because Chevrolet wants us to focus on the numbers and the exterior. With brand development, the Corvette is a symbol of American muscle.

Chrysler is screwed. They have a lot of work to do if they want to save what remains of their companies.

PoPoCamaro 01-10-2008 06:08 PM

You know what would be cool (If Chrysler can survive and become viable again), is if they pull a Camaro and bring it back in a few years and make it better than ever. Come on, Corvette needs some good ol' American muscle car competition. Heck, GM might have started a new marketing strategy, kill a brand and bring it back better than ever with tons of publicity.

TAG UR IT 01-11-2008 01:02 AM

Well that sux. But, take a look at the price. IMO, it's cost is up there. Sure wish it'd stick around for a while.

09'Z28 01-11-2008 02:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:cry: :brokenheart: :cry: noooooooo!!!!!! that would be the stupidest move ever made by chrysler the viper is a household name everyone knows the dodge viper, maybe a year off but dont kill it

Dan 01-11-2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stovt001 (Post 38532)

Daimler doesn't own Chrysler anymore. They read the writing on the wall and dumped them a couple years ago.

Mr. Wyndham 01-11-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 38702)
Daimler doesn't own Chrysler anymore. They read the writing on the wall and dumped them a couple years ago.

Less than a year ago...damn. Time flys, huh?

mega_man_01103 01-11-2008 10:03 AM

one time i was valeting a viper and burned my leg on the side exhaust that they have and hated them ever since!

Silverado 01-11-2008 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mega_man_01103 (Post 38712)
one time i was valeting a viper and burned my leg on the side exhaust that they have and hated them ever since!

Yeah, they had that problem early on....first couple years anyway....then they fixed it. If I remember correctly, they went away from side exhaust for one year, and fans of the car screamed bloody murder until they put it back. They just had to insulate the door sills more to keep it from being a problem.

Sad to see it go. If it has to go for Chrysler to stay alive, then it's probably for the best. I've always liked the Viper, but I think I'd rather have a solid, viable American car company around rather than just one car that I won't ever own anyway. As much as I'm not a fan of Chrysler, they are American and every one of their cars sold is one fewer Toyota, Honda, or Hyundai on the roads.

Hopefully Chrysler can get the ship righted and as someone mentioned, bring back the Viper in a few years.

DGthe3 01-11-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoPoCamaro (Post 38556)
You know what would be cool (If Chrysler can survive and become viable again), is if they pull a Camaro and bring it back in a few years and make it better than ever. Come on, Corvette needs some good ol' American muscle car competition. Heck, GM might have started a new marketing strategy, kill a brand and bring it back better than ever with tons of publicity.

They might not have the time to do that. I hear they are in pretty rough shape